Mazda-speed.com
April 06, 2020, 06:56:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PrePurchase inspection Mazdaspeed FAQ ?  (Read 3079 times)
Blackhawk187
Fourth Gear

If you are going through hell, wear turnout gear

« on: April 04, 2011, 08:48:01 PM »

I'm been searching for tech info on what to look for when buying a used Mazdaspeed on this site without much luck. I have learned that failure to do a Pre-Purchase inspection on my P-car was an expensive error. I don't want walk into the same trap twice. I checked out the MX-5 forum and readily found some good FAQ's, but as we all know MSM is a special breed of Motorsport. I've learned a lot on this forum, for that I am thankful. I could however use some sage advise. Thanks afro

2004 VR Mazdaspeed, FMLE kit, Harddog double diagonal rollbar, steel braided brake lines, Redline fluids, AC switch mod,15x7.5 6ul's silver,Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Porterfield R4S pads,M.R. short-shifter,FM stage1 clutch, Autometer boost gauge.
Cameron
Third Gear

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:19:23 PM »

Well I don't know of any FAQ, but one item that got me on two accounts was not trying the car out with a cold start when the whole car is at ambient temperature.

My MSM had 58K miles and I met the guy I bought it from so everything was nice and warm. No noise etc. Took to mechanic for a review. Checked out OK.
Well the morning after....
Start the car up and when it is cold, knocking in the block. RSpeed says that I have wrist pin failure and that the engine is terminally ill.
Also, one of my clutch bearings is going and you can only hear it when the car is warm.

So, that would be something to check into prior to buying.

2004 TI MSM #2485
Keeper of the FAQs
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:41:16 PM »

Just a thumbnail list...

1) pull the intake hose at the throttle and check for oil accumulation. A light film is 'normal', pools of oil are not.
2) Look for anything 'custom' done to the car. Aftermarket parts, exhausts, intakes, etc.  If there are none, ask if any had ever been installed.
3) if you plan to have it 'check out' make sure the mechanic pulls enough intake tubing off to check for shaft play in the turbo charger.
4) wheel bearings need to be checked for wear. Miatas do load up the wheel bearings if driven correctly (ie, lots of hard corners), so they tend to wear out.
5) suspension components (springs and bushings too) need to be checked for wear. for the same reason.
6) check the tie rod arms for play
7) check the tires for unusual wear
Cool check the IAT2 sensor wiring to see if it has been repaired or if it is close to breaking (this is the temp sensor on the intake pipe right before the throttle body)
9) ask if they have any maintenance records. Not everyone who takes good care of a car keeps a detailed record, but it's easier to sell to a discriminating buyer if you have something showing you changed the oil, did tires, plugs, wires, etc.
10) check all buttons and knobs for proper function/travel. as the MSM gets older, this is going to be more crucial.
11) check the vent balls for wear.
12) check the seats for wear and tear.
13) make sure BOTH seat belts still work.
14) did you check to see if the fog lights are intact?
15) spare tire, jack and tire iron still in the car?
16) and while your back there, how old is the battery?
17) Shift Boot and Bushing. Check them. if the shifter seems off, it's probably the bushing (or something worse). if the inside of the car smells like rotten mcdonalds fries dipped in motor oil, the shift boot is torn. easy fixes, but worth noticing before you buy.
18) condition of the top? has it been repaired/replaced? does it open and close correctly?
19) did you check the power mirrors work? BOTH of them?

lets keep adding to the list, guys!
Blackhawk187
Fourth Gear

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:14:02 AM »

To the 'Keeper of the FAQ's', I salute you. Just as I was getting ready to abandon ship you show up on station and give me the encouragement and the tools (FAQ's) afro Yes, I need and want to learn about these amazing Mazdaspeeds. I want to own one. I'm already in project mode. I'm especially interested knowing about the turbo charged engine. What do I need to know to feel confident I'm making an informed decision about buying the right car? So thanks for your input and encouragement. Sure I need help...so keep it coming guys. Next lesson I like to learn is how to diagnose a tight used engine from ticking money bomb. help knowledge should be shared as well as earned.

2004 VR Mazdaspeed, FMLE kit, Harddog double diagonal rollbar, steel braided brake lines, Redline fluids, AC switch mod,15x7.5 6ul's silver,Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Porterfield R4S pads,M.R. short-shifter,FM stage1 clutch, Autometer boost gauge.
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:15:09 PM »

One thing to check too is the soft top lining on the driver and passenger sides of the windows. Give em a squeeze. They should be somewhat firm. If they are not you may get leaks. They are also around $60 to replace oem from Mazda.  shocked

You can also check the locks on the softtop make sure they don't move and theres a little adjustment "screw" sort of thing that you can tighten and loosen to adjust the reach of the locks. It's covered up by a little flange thing you have to pull back to get access to it.

http://www.miata.net/garage/latch_adjust.html

Miata checklist.

http://www.miata.net/faq/inspection_list.html

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
brandini
Fourth Gear

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »

DRIVE IT at 35 and 70 mph to check the wheels for bends.

Take off any mud flaps and check behind for rust.

Check the top drain holes for clogging, if clogged, investigate for rust.

04 Ti MSM #3469
Blackhawk187
Fourth Gear

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:03:05 PM »

Thanks for the help. Leaking down testing what, are good numbers for a tight strong engine? Detonation is of course a concern especially if a running a engine hard in hot climates. I know something about checking spark plugs for signs of that curse, but should a bore scope inspection also be performed? Should I insist the car be taken to a Mazdaspeed shop for  complete inspection and engine data report ?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: