Mazda-speed.com
February 01, 2023, 03:03:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The duel purpose street/track car...the 4 year (and counting) build.  (Read 118579 times)
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2012, 08:11:40 PM »

I have been driving early 2000 OEM 16” rims and 205/50/16 tires for a couple of years.

I know this is not the optimum size tires, but I got a good deal on the rims.  We have talked about going with a 15” rim, but have never done it.  I have 2 sets of the 16” rims and if we make the move to 15” rims, I would basically be throwing away the rubber on the 16’s. 

At the last track event, my wife and I corded 7 of the 8 tires.  We thought that this was as good of a time as ever to make the change.

The rim and tire fairy visited the garage.  dancenana

15x9 Bronze 6UL’s

I really like the look of the bronze on the Velocity Red.

And I have a good bit more meat on the ground.

Here is a pic of the 205’s on a 6.5” rim compared to the 225’s on the 9”.  You’ll notice that the 225’s are a good bit shorter than the 205’s.  The 205’s are actually taller than the 215/40/17 tires.  The 225’s are only about .5” shorter than the OEM set-up.

I have not driven on the track yet with this set-up, but I can’t wait!  Next track event is in November at VIR and I want to drive flat out!   Grin  Grin  Grin

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
mr_hyde
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »

Next track event is in November at VIR and I want to drive flat out!   Grin  Grin  Grin

That is how I drive...  Flat out...

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
SilverMiataRacer
Fifth Gear

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8

laugh laugh laugh laugh

You have to understand the rules and the track managers at Roebling to get the most out of this but it's funny anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3QZ7gA6bi0&feature=related

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
mr_hyde
Fifth Gear

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2012, 07:01:37 PM »

We've all met that guy and spent time one handing it behind his Supercar.  Thanks for posting the classic!

*Edit - I just watched the 'solution' video. At the risk of dragging Joe's thread off track, what's the inside joke?

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2

SilverMiataRacer
Fifth Gear

« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2012, 11:13:35 PM »

Kay and Richard run Roebling Road.  They are very strict and everything he tells the guy to do will break the rules they run the track by.  Hence the phrase about I'm sure money will exchange hands.  Fines and maybe bail comes to mind!!

Larry

Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
mr_hyde
Fifth Gear

« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2012, 07:05:44 AM »

Telling the crew to muster in the T5 turn worker station - is that a potential kill zone? cheesy

SilverMiataRacer
Fifth Gear

« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »

Not really, just a turn where a lot of spins occur but it's a safe open area.

Larry

– Ernest Hemingway
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2013, 02:21:23 PM »

I haven’t made any updates to this build thread in a while because, well, I haven’t done anything to the car.  Smiley The car is set-up pretty well and most of the mods that I have thought about take it farther down the all out track car path.  

I have done a lot of reading about aero and thought experimenting with some different set-ups would be a lot of fun.  These ideas have been floating around in my head, but I have not acted.  

Over the last couple of years, the APR wing has been the wing of choice of the really fast guys.  I have looked at this wing, but never taken the plunge.  As I continued to read, some very interesting wing threads began to surface.  If any of you are NASCAR fans, you know that they ran a wing a couple of years ago until they learned that the cars took flight when they spun around.   Shocked

When NASCAR went away from the wings, they were available to the general public on the used market.  A number of Miata guys started experimenting with these wings with excellent results.  Many people were seeing times several seconds a lap faster.  If you are already fast and consistent, a couple of seconds is HUGE.  

Keith at FM was also experimenting with the wing and was another guy who found big gains in time.  FM designed a mount that would work specifically with the COT wing and the Miata and sold them as a one-time group buy offering.  I figured if I was going to act on the aero, this is the time to do it.

This wing mount attaches to the drain rails of the trunk instead of mounting to the trunk itself.  The problem with mounting it to the trunk directly is that the trunk flexes, so not all of the downforce is transmitted to the suspension.  

Enough yapping and on to the pictures.  

The silver vertical mount is the part that FM fabricated.  The black brackets sitting on the back corner of the workbench are the mounts that came with the wing.  FM copied the top half of the mount and customized the bottom half to work with the Miata.

The carbon fiber wing and end plates are a work or art.  Here is the cross section of the wing with the endplate removed.  

You do have to drill 5 holes on each side of the drain rail, but oh well.  I tried to not think too much about this part.   Cry

The adjustable bracket is very clever.  You can see the FM mount has a grid of holes.  The bracket on the wing has 4 holes in it.  To adjust the angle of attack, you remove a bolt and move the wing up or down so another set of holes line up.  This simple way of adjusting allows for very small changes in the angle.  Using an angle finder, it appears that each incremental adjustment is around a .5-.75* change.

The FM mount is made so that the trunk will open.  My original plan was to use the OEM trunk lid, BUT the MSM has a spoiler that is wider than the trunk and it interferes with the mounts.  So, a cheap trunk lid was in my future.  It's never as easy as you think.  

Remember that you have license plate lights and a brake light in the trunk, so you will need to get these to work. When I bought the trunk, I made sure I got the wiring harness for these lights.

Unfortunately, the wiring harness does not have a connector you can disconnect, so you do have to cut the wires.  My plan is to use the spare trunk lid and wing only on the track, so I do need a way to make the wiring work with both trunk lids.  There are 6 wires that run to the trunk lights-a positive and negative for each of the tag lights and brake light.  I had some spare 4 wire trailer light connectors and thought they would work well to be able quickly unplug one trunk and install the new one.  I put the brake light circuit on two of the 4 connectors and combined the two positives and two negatives for the 3rd and 4th connectors.  Here is a picture of the correctors (not connected).  

And for some finished pics.

I must say that the car does look very aggressive now.   shockeyes  The real test will be how it handles on the track.  From what Hyde and others have said, I think I know my answer.  The rear of the car will be planted and it will push like a freight train.  The car will need a splitter in the worst way, but that will be the next installment to this thread.  I figure I will end up running close to a 0* AOA by the end of the weekend, but from all accounts, it will still create downforce.  I'm excited to see how it works out, but I fear it will be at the expense of my front tires.   help  I'll report back after this weekend.

And yes, I do have some thoughts on how to "pretty up" the mounts and BRG trunk lid.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 11:22:11 AM by SilverMiataRacer » Logged

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
schmoo
MSM > Me
Fifth Gear

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »

HOW have I NOT been following this thread????

SMR/Hyde: Are you saying that Mr. Flat Out is based on a real guy, not just a generic "hot shoe"?

Driver-Limited Canadian 2004 MSM Track Toy in Velocity Red | FM Big Enchilada w/Hydra 2.7, FM AFCO Coilovers, 15x9 6UL Gen2 & Advanti Storm, FM Anti-Roll Bars, Carbotech Pads, FM SS Lines, FM Racing Rad, FM Oil Cooler, Momo Lesmo One Seat, Schroth Profi 2 Harness, HDHCDD M2 Hardtop with Harness Bar, AiM MXL Pro with Smartycam HD GP, Gutted Interior
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://www.uncommonpear.com/wp-content/uploads/avatars-signatures/IMG_5971-2-2.jpg[/img]
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2013, 02:58:22 PM »

Mr. Flat Out is based on the generic driver who thinks he's god's gift to driving and is really slow.  There seems to be someone who fits this profile every couple of events.

mr_hyde
Fifth Gear

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »

I wear my TrackHQ/949 Flatout shirt every time I drive.   afro  That is how I drive:  Flatout.   Grin Grin Grin

I would like to point out that the douche in the video is named Allister.  I don't know anything about anything so I'll leave it at that.   angel1  If you have never watched it, please do.   afro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8

This wing is simply awesome but I think you may actually be at a positive AOA to balance the car with a stock nose.  A splitter will be required equipment as I'm sure you will agree after the weekend.  It may be worth taking a peek at this idea:

http://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/front-wing-72994/

You could figure out a way to mount something like this so it was removable too.  Crushing the will of Corvette and Porsche drivers takes some effort in the garage.  There are some great dual purpose MSMs in the community and you have one of the best!

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2013, 05:55:34 PM »

This is a link to the company of a friend who we track with.  I might have to get the "flat out" or "Forza" decal now that I have a crappy trunk lid to put it on.   Cheesy

http://www.trackdecal.com/prod/index.html

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »

I just got back from the first track weekend with the wing and I can now see why the professionals use one......it works great! dancenana  My fastest lap set a personal best by about .5 seconds and in this session, I was able to click off 8 consecutive laps that were within about 1.5 seconds of each other all within about 1 second of my previous PB.  My previous PB was with a former tire rim set-up and I am beginning to think that the previous set-up was faster.  The .5 seconds may not seem like much, so let me state the improvement another way.  We were at the track the beginning of May and I was running on the same set of tires that I ran this weekend.  I was 3 seconds faster at this event with the wing.   shockeyes

The car definitely needs some front downforce, but it did not push as bad as I thought it might.  Hyde can probably confirm how stable the car is in high speed corners.  I know the car has a good bit more time to be had, but the speeds that I can now carry though some of the corners has my brain yelling at me to slow down!!  It will take some time to work my way up to the limits of the car.  The sensation of entering a high speed corner several mph faster than you are used to is a big one and my survival instincts are fighting my right foot.  It was a work in progress all weekend, but I saw improvement in some specific areas I was trying to improve. 

There aren't many Miatas running a wing around here.  In fact, I'm not sure I have ever seen one at the track.  As a result, I did get a number of joking comments (all in good taste) about if I was going to take of with a wing like that and a number of people were curious about how it mounted and what wing it was.  When they found out it was a real NASCAR wing and CF, most people had a reaction like "wow!".  All I care about is it makes the car a lot faster and glued to the track. 

Here is one picture of the car in action and one of it resting.  The good news is that a lot of people saw a view of the second picture in their rear view mirror over the weekend.  Grin

We probably won't be back at the track until September, so I will have some time to work out the front aero. 

Stay tuned.......

schmoo
MSM > Me
Fifth Gear

« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »

What made you go with the NASCAR wing instead of the APR?

Driver-Limited Canadian 2004 MSM Track Toy in Velocity Red | FM Big Enchilada w/Hydra 2.7, FM AFCO Coilovers, 15x9 6UL Gen2 & Advanti Storm, FM Anti-Roll Bars, Carbotech Pads, FM SS Lines, FM Racing Rad, FM Oil Cooler, Momo Lesmo One Seat, Schroth Profi 2 Harness, HDHCDD M2 Hardtop with Harness Bar, AiM MXL Pro with Smartycam HD GP, Gutted Interior
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://www.uncommonpear.com/wp-content/uploads/avatars-signatures/IMG_5971-2-2.jpg[/img]
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2013, 07:33:53 PM »

The fast west coast guys determined that it was faster than the APR wing and it was a lot cheaper.  When FM made a mount specifically for the COT wing, it was a no brainer.  You don't often get faster and cheaper.  The real carbon fiber is a bonus.    
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 11:24:05 AM by SilverMiataRacer » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: