Mazda-speed.com
February 01, 2023, 03:53:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Install FM Frame Rails  (Read 70926 times)
MSMzer04
Mazdspeed Miata 2004
Fifth Gear

« on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:24 AM »

I Installed my frame rails a few weeks ago and I took some pictures.

Tools needed:
Drill
5/16" bit
Sockets/Wrenches
Ratchet
Ratchet Extension
Safety Glasses

Start by raising your car, please exercise caution

This bolt needs to come off so we can remove cross brace, we will not be putting it back on

A view of the driver's side

… and it's out

Now we remove the  brake and fuel lines

This brace looks bent, I don't know if it's supposed to be that way. Needs to be removed also

Use a 14mm

And a 17mm

I don't think you have to, but I removed this bolt so I could move the lines when installing the rails

I didn't notice there is this bracket all the way in the back, heads up if you're installing

To insert the rails, you have to scoop the lines this way:

Then push the rails in to place

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT !
The alignment is critical so be careful, it's pretty easy once you are there, but only
drill when you are 100% confident:

Drilling time!

No turning back now...

I drilled the Right side bolt first, then the left

I tightened the bolts without rubberized undercoating first

Here's where you use the extension (unless you have a buddy to help)

Both of these are 5/16"

Almost at the end, make sure the bolts are on nice and tight!

This is what the last hole looks like

A shot from the top

And we're done with the passenger side!

The other side should be much faster and easier, hit the holes with rubberized under
coating and you're done!

I haven't installed the brackets for the lines yet but I will update as soon as I get a chance.

Also, I haven't put the cross brace back either FYI.

#1923 of the '04s is under construction at:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24159.0.html
Lokiel
Fifth Gear

Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »

MINX helped me with my install and pointed out that I should drill the brake line brace hole out to the correct size before I fitted it to the car since it's much easier to do then. Not sure if this is still an issue with the FM rails so check first.

Ti Aussie "SE" (cannot be called "MazdaSpeed" here, "speed/performance" badging encourages reckless driving apparently), DIY AutoTune MS3-Pro ECU, Borg-Warner EFR6258, NitroDann custom manifold+3"exhaust+CAI, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, GM D514A CNPs, 83.5mm coated CP pistons, K1 rods, Fab9 350HP intercooler,  ported Squaretop Intake Manifold, Skunk2 Throttle Body, ATi Super Damper, '95MSM SpeedHut Boost Gauge Mod, GREDDY Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat, Setrab Oil Cooler, BC Racing BR Series coilovers (8/6kg), 1.125" Racing Beat Tubular Sway Bar + Al Braces, 949racing SuperMiata end links, Carbing 3-pt shock tower brace, Nickel 6UL 15x8s, Toyo R1Rs 225/45/15, Wilwood Front BBK, SS Brake Lines, FM Frame Rails, Boss Frog "Frog Arms", MX5 Plus Twin Hoop Roll Bar, MiataRoadster long-angled SSK, Piano-Black Voodoo Knob&HandBrake, Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 gauge+sensor, Lotus Probax seats + lots of "goes faster" chrome bling (since chrome reflects light, less of the colour spectrum is absorbed, making the car lighter - "pseudo-science" Smiley ).
Build Thread: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091
bigx5murf
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »

I'd like to add remember to separate, the supplied bolts by length before hand, the shorter ones go on the side with the lines.

mr_hyde
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 06:19:32 AM »

Other advice on basic technique:

1.  Drill the first hole and insert a bolt with a nut finger tight then move to the next hole.  Repeat this until all the holes are drilled and you won't have to worry about reaming out a hole that doesn't line up.

2.  Once all the holes are done, take the bolts out and do some rustproofing on the bare metal.  Rattle can first and undercoating once dry is best.

3.  Once the rustproofing is dry, reposition the rail and reinstall the bolts with a generous bead of silicone.  It will seal and serve as threadlocker.  Torque the nuts to spec realizing the OEM undercoating will compress a bit.

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
thomsoad
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 12:39:43 AM »

So I gotta ask...
How much of a difference are we talking about in handling?
The MSM is as stiff as the factory made the car...is it that much of a difference?

Previous MSM: 2004 TI; FM LE; Falken FK452s

Current MSM: GT Mica;
SUSPENSION/TRANSMISSION: 215/45/17 Pilot Super Sports; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; FM Happy Meal Level 1 System; GarageStar door bushings; MR short shifter
ENGINE: FM Wiseco Pistons; Carrillo A rods; ARP studs; ATI Super Damper; Mazdaspeed competition motor mounts; oversized intake valves, oversized Inconel exhaust valves, ACL Race bearings , FM valve springs; 700CC Deatschwerks injectors:  NGK plugs; Magnecor 8.5s .
PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: Upgraded Blouche turbo, FM Intake, FM full Exhaust, FM Intercooler
ECU: Hydra 2.7
MISCELLANEOUS:  Autometer Boost Gauge; Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control, Motorcraft transmission fluid, Mobil 1 differential fluid, Castrol Platinum Synthetic Motor oil.

DYNOPACK RESULTS:
WHP: 256 @ 6141 rpm
TORQUE (lb/ft): 267.0 @ 4105 rpm
BOOST (PSI): 15.46 @ 4120 rpm
                     14.00 @ 3750 rpm

My MSM: Street...with attitude. Smiley
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:23:40 AM »

So I gotta ask...
How much of a difference are we talking about in handling?
The MSM is as stiff as the factory made the car...is it that much of a difference?

When i did mine I barely noticed a difference. The best part is now I have a great jack point instead of the pinch welds.

But recently I've been running without the oem butterfly bracing and don't notice a difference. I wonder if that means the oem butterfly brace does nothing, or the frame rails compensate enough to not notice a difference.

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
Lokiel
Fifth Gear

Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:02:34 AM »

When I jack up my car on one corner, the other wheel on that same side gets airborne MUCH earlier than it used to so it must be doing something.

Ti Aussie "SE" (cannot be called "MazdaSpeed" here, "speed/performance" badging encourages reckless driving apparently), DIY AutoTune MS3-Pro ECU, Borg-Warner EFR6258, NitroDann custom manifold+3"exhaust+CAI, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, GM D514A CNPs, 83.5mm coated CP pistons, K1 rods, Fab9 350HP intercooler,  ported Squaretop Intake Manifold, Skunk2 Throttle Body, ATi Super Damper, '95MSM SpeedHut Boost Gauge Mod, GREDDY Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat, Setrab Oil Cooler, BC Racing BR Series coilovers (8/6kg), 1.125" Racing Beat Tubular Sway Bar + Al Braces, 949racing SuperMiata end links, Carbing 3-pt shock tower brace, Nickel 6UL 15x8s, Toyo R1Rs 225/45/15, Wilwood Front BBK, SS Brake Lines, FM Frame Rails, Boss Frog "Frog Arms", MX5 Plus Twin Hoop Roll Bar, MiataRoadster long-angled SSK, Piano-Black Voodoo Knob&HandBrake, Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 gauge+sensor, Lotus Probax seats + lots of "goes faster" chrome bling (since chrome reflects light, less of the colour spectrum is absorbed, making the car lighter - "pseudo-science" Smiley ).
Build Thread: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091
MSMzer04
Mazdspeed Miata 2004
Fifth Gear

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 08:41:18 AM »

I finished this just 2 weeks ago but I have been too lazy to post pictures and stuff lol... will do it tomorrow, hopefully  laugh

Since I already had the carpet out, I felt like installing some sound deadening material to the inside, then I felt like installing new speakers on the parcel shelf. I found I am not the only one that has done this when installing frame rails.

Not sure if I should post the sound deadening/speakers install here :/

gregmiata
Third Gear

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 01:25:58 AM »

Not sure if I should post the sound deadening/speakers install here :/

I'm a couple weeks from doing this and would love hear what you did!

2004 Ti - #360

Supreme Enchilada:
15G compressor wheel upgrade, BEGi intake/TBI, ebay intercooler, SGDP, FM MSM midpipe and muffler, Reverent built Megasquirt, 650cc injectors, MBC

Suspension: FM V-maxx classic coilovers

Wheels/tires: 16" Rota Grid in Full Royal Sports Bronze w/ Federal 595rsr

Other mods: MR stock height SSK, PLX DM-100 touch multi gauge with afr, boost, and oil temp modules, black center console trim, Fusion MA-205 head unit, air bag switch relocated to glove box with cubby storage replacement, USB and aux audio module replacing lighter location, full sound and vibration deadening throughout cabin

Pending: door speakers, door sound treatment

Future: cruise, 3.63 gears
MSMzer04
Mazdspeed Miata 2004
Fifth Gear

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 01:51:46 AM »

Here’s a little more information on what I used for sound deadening and insulation:

http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24159.105.html

As far as the speakers go, I couldn't be happier. I tried to post a "how to" shortly after my install but I was a little burned out from all the work, never got motivated to post it lol

If I can find the pictures I will try to post that "how to" again Smiley

greenhat
Greenhat
Fourth Gear

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 05:46:19 AM »

my frame rails were just satin finished SS, when did they go blue, is there any difference?

04 MSM VelosityRed #3593
bigx5murf
Fifth Gear

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 06:25:25 AM »

I think OP had them painted, or powder coated that color.  No difference since the SS doesn't corrode anyway.

MSMzer04
Mazdspeed Miata 2004
Fifth Gear

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 07:56:26 AM »

That's correct, had a bottle of Torque N' Teal lying around and decided to waste it on my Frame Rails. Powdercoating would be really cool now that I think about it  afro

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: