Mazda-speed.com
January 18, 2019, 09:38:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maduh's MSM revival thread  (Read 27690 times)
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« on: August 04, 2015, 06:26:24 AM »

So as I'm sure you guys' know by now, my incident with the deer and my recently finished BNR turbo upgrade. I wanted to make myself an official build thread of sorts to throw all my junk I'm up too with the car.

As it sits, the MSM has the hood and front fenders removed. The windshield has been removed and glass cleaned up. I've been contemplating on what to do next. Insurance didn't total the car, but cut me a check to get the damage fixed at $3,700. As I see it I have a few options.

1. Pocket the money, part out the MSM in it's entirety and use the cash to buy myself something new/nicer. I figure with a full part-out I'd maybe net myself $3,000-$4,000 worth of sales.

2. Get it fixed. Still have to deal with all the other things like rust and other damage to the car, back to square one.

3. Source a used door/fender/windshield myself out of pocket on the cheap. Get my body guy to fix the damage on the back fender, and put whatever money is left over from insurance towards addressing the rust on the car.

4. Find a donor miata for the cost of the insurance check, swap all of my parts off the msm over. Sell MSM shell.

Before you guy's ask, my reasoning on ditching the MSM as it sits is because I have some back rear rocker rust that's beginning to rear it's head. Also my pinch welds are fairly rusty and bent. There's a few other things like some side damage and subframe damage etc that bother's me. This would be my chance to find something clean and rust free to start over with. So while the damage from the deer accident didn't total out the car, it's mostly an excuse to move on and cut my losses.

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:37:36 AM »

So it just so happens I sort of absently-mindedly decided the route I'm gonna go for myself. I was casually perusing ebay and found a 99 nb I liked and threw down a bid. I expected to get outbid and forgot about it until about an hour and a half ago I got a ping on my phone that I won!  shocked

So here she is, a nice 99 NB Base

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-/261985358627?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=OK4DtAOQAl3VsWHSchfvSQspy7o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I got it for $2,950.  afro

Now I just need to fly out to Vegas to pick her up!

Only downfall is being a base I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with a LSD. sad1 But no reason i can't swap over my MSM bits to change that!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:02:01 AM by Maduh » Logged

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
Chrisbee
Fourth Gear

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:45:52 AM »

Nice! Vegas is only about 3 hours from me. So if it's been there most of it's life, you shouldn't have any rust issues on this one.  afro

2004 TI #3021. Purchased Oct. 2014 with 56k miles.

Engine: FM 2 kit with Hydra 2.7, 700cc injectors, and full 3" exhaust.
FM Crossflow radiator w/stage 2 airflow kit.
Suspension: Fox Racing with FM sway bars.
Wheels: 15x8 Enkei PF01s running 215/50 BFG G-force Sports.
Misc: Custom Speedhut boost gauge in place of stock oil pressure gauge. Temp gauge mod. ScanGaugeII. Blue instrument panel lights. Eclipse dash vents.

Definitely a work in progress!
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:59:47 AM »

I ran a vin check. Looks like it spent most of it's life in FL then moved up to AZ then Vegas.

Pololo_MX5
Second Gear

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 04:06:46 PM »

Looks clean.. very clean...

I guess you will be doing quite a bit of swapping... drivetrain, suspension, differential, axle spindles, ECU and even gauges... but it'll be worth it..

Heck I may even buy the seats off the car you just got, if I had not found anything til then... I am tired of my leather seats... Sad

Good luck...

Previous cars:
1970 Datsun 240Z (my "college beater")
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
1989 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
1989 Mazda 323 GTX
1990 1.6L Turbo Miata  (210 RWHP)  - Track car
1992 1.6L Stock Miata
1995 M Edition
1999 Nissan Maxima (my "grown up" 4DSC)
2005 Mazda RX8 (winning blue - RIP)

Current Cars:
2004 VR MSM - Joe's Intake, 305cc, FM dp, FM MSM Checkvalve, Corksport 80mm exhaust, HCHD Rollbar, Rays Eng Wheels, Azenis 615RT... soon to add FM Extreme Package 2 Coilovers and stainless brake lines.
2007 Mazdaspeed 3 - Cosmic Blue, COBB Stage 1, COBB Intake, ETS IC, COBB Exhaust, Forge BOV V2, BC coilovers, RPF1 wheels, CPE Motor Mounts.
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:02 PM »

Looks like a good start - I didn't realize there were any running NBs at that price.

You'll know the NB inside and out when you are finished.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
onetwo
First Gear

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:39:58 AM »

Nice!

You're probably going to end up dropping quite a bit of weight as well swapping to a 99 base.  This thing will haul by the time your done.
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 03:53:11 AM »

Looks like a good start - I didn't realize there were any running NBs at that price.

You'll know the NB inside and out when you are finished.

I didn't realize it either. I was entirely surprised. I have a buddy going to check the car out Saturday for me. I out the deposit down on the car already and talked to the dealer. Seems like I really got a good deal.

My general plan right away really will be to swap over my suspension bits. Swap over my hardtop and radiator/fan setup.  I have oil cooler I'll install and pick up a mspnp3 and swap over the FIC 650s I have in the msm. Contemplating picking up the fab9 cop kit too. Also might sell the rollbar in the msm and buy a harddog m2 or something. I like the ace bar I have but it's not as aggressive/roomy as I'd like for harnesses etc. Oh yeah I'll likely also swap over my gauges and kirkey seats too.

I'll likely rock it in that setup for a while or so. I'll plan to do big ticket items like rear end and motor/turbo probably not this winter but next

Sent from my Nexus 6

svetki
Third Gear

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 06:22:49 PM »

Wow that is a great deal on the NB.  Looking forward to the re-build!

#752 LO - Joe's Intake, 2.5" eBay dp, 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, ebay IC, Koyo Hyper-v, Koing Roller 205/45/16.
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 10:16:20 PM »

So I leave on the 14th to fly to Vegas and drive the car back

Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 04:19:29 AM »

So Oliver went and checked the car out for me Saturday. Looks like everything checks out. Hopefully gonna cruise through Pikes Peak on the way back through Denver.

Question for you guy's, to swap the MSM dif, what all does that involve? Do the axles fit the hubs on the 99? Or should I swap the hubs and everything too?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:22:37 AM by Maduh » Logged

Pololo_MX5
Second Gear

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 04:32:10 PM »

Question for you guy's, to swap the MSM dif, what all does that involve? Do the axles fit the hubs on the 99? Or should I swap the hubs and everything too?

You must swap everything... this is the only "drawback" when swapping a MSM diff into a non-MSM car...

Previous cars:
1970 Datsun 240Z (my "college beater")
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
1989 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
1989 Mazda 323 GTX
1990 1.6L Turbo Miata  (210 RWHP)  - Track car
1992 1.6L Stock Miata
1995 M Edition
1999 Nissan Maxima (my "grown up" 4DSC)
2005 Mazda RX8 (winning blue - RIP)

Current Cars:
2004 VR MSM - Joe's Intake, 305cc, FM dp, FM MSM Checkvalve, Corksport 80mm exhaust, HCHD Rollbar, Rays Eng Wheels, Azenis 615RT... soon to add FM Extreme Package 2 Coilovers and stainless brake lines.
2007 Mazdaspeed 3 - Cosmic Blue, COBB Stage 1, COBB Intake, ETS IC, COBB Exhaust, Forge BOV V2, BC coilovers, RPF1 wheels, CPE Motor Mounts.
sfcarbone
Third Gear

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 05:25:18 PM »

It would probably be easiest to just drop the whole rear suspension and swap.  I believe that the rear suspension is beefier on the MSM than the standard 2000 Miata, but I could be wrong.  But to answer your question, yes the axles from the MSM can be installed on a stock Miata rear hub.  They are are the same size.  I installed a standard Miata axle onto my MSM because I used the 3.91 differential out of a 2000.

Pay attention also to ABS.  While all MSM's have ABS, not all Miatas do.
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 06:33:59 PM »

This 99 does not have ABS. That's the main reason I'm sort of cautious about the rear end swap. Wasn't sure if I end up having to swap hubs etc or I could just leave the 99 stuff there and get away with just the axles. Or I figured if I was gonna swap everything I'd have to run abs lines too and also just swap the entire msm brakes over while I'm at it. I'd rather just leave abs out of the equation since I eventually plan on putting a bbk on the car anyways. Or maybe I'll just drop the entire sub frame from each car and swap them. LOL

I can leave ABS disabled on the MSM brakes I'm guessing? Is it a matter of just not connecting the wheel sensors? Obviously I wouldn't have the abs lines or controller box on the 99. I just wanna make sure being that I wouldn't use the abs it wouldn't interfere with normal braking. If anything I'll just stick with the regular NB brakes for now(nice cause they are slightly cheaper) and sell the MSM brakes to help cut cost of doing a 4 wheel bbk setup.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:35:44 PM by Maduh » Logged

'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 08:58:48 PM »

I did the subframe approach, so maybe I'm not entirely unbiased. I would definitely go that route - the rear "cartridge" attaches with just a handful of fasteners, so it is by far the easiest way to update the '99.

I'm still running NA master cylinder & proportioning valve with the MSM brakes. I've locked them up a few times and have not noticed any evil characteristics, so I suspect the 99 system connected to sport brakes will be just fine.

Regarding ABS, I exchanged info with a guy running an MSM in a pro Touring class way back when. He used the ABS everywhere but Sears Point (Infineon). The ABS system was quicker everywhere else, but the two tight hairpins required trail braking with a deft touch to get the best lap time. He had to run OEM brakes, but I don't think ABS on a BBK would be that much different. One of these days I will drop the MSM ABS into my car.

Hyde has run with and without ABS. He pulls the fuse.

Back to subframe vs component swapping - I installed the MSM engine and trans on the subframe. I carefully laid out my re-clocked hotside intercooler piping based on measurements back to the top control arm bolt in the subframe. Other than scrambling around to get the car up high enough to slide the sub-assembly under the front of the chassis, installing the powertrain in this manner was a piece of cake. I've installed engine only, engine & trans (my least favorite) and the sub-frame assembly is my favorite, if you have to go that "deep" into parts swapping.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: