Mazda-speed.com
August 04, 2020, 08:18:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Play in your stick (and how to fix it)  (Read 36470 times)
Agro321
Third Gear

« on: February 07, 2005, 05:57:34 PM »

How much play do you guys/gals have in your stick shift?

In 1st and 3rd mine is solid feeling with only about 1/4 inch play but in 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and reverse I can move it around quite a lot - about 1 inch all around. Also, while in neutral I can push the stick to the left between 1st and 2nd, still in neutral and the stick stays there. Is something off with mine or have I been reading too many forums looking for problems?

1100 pure fun miles now.
Thanks, -Adrian
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 05:41:06 PM by miatajim » Logged

'04 Ti, FM DP + MagnaFlow exhaust
Los Angeles (next to Venice beach), CA
miatajim
Southington, CT Mazda-speed.com founder.
Fifth Gear

Mazda-Speed.com Founder.

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 06:25:47 PM »

Sounds like your plastic ball is broken, it happens, dealer should replace. Jim

04 VR Mods FM LE KIT, GFB VTA, HID's, Nexus 7 in dash, Rotationally Molded Sub(4) Box, RF Amp 100x4, Polk door speakers, Running remote mod, HDHCDD RB, A-piller Temp/Boost gauges.
nsanityownzu
Downhill expert
Fourth Gear

Justice

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 03:48:43 AM »

I have like...zero play with mine. still trying to get used to that..as my camaro used to have lots of play.

04' VR MSM - Justice - Modifications - TurboXS RFL BOV
Coming Sonn - Anything from VishnuTuning
Jae
Fifth Gear

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 04:06:38 AM »

No play in mine either.  In fact its still kind of tight.  I think I need to go with redline trans oil.

'04 Ti - Sold!
Agro321
Third Gear

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 04:00:09 PM »

Thanks!  I will go to the dealer on Friday and tell them that my stick's plastic ball is broken.   Shocked

miatajim
Southington, CT Mazda-speed.com founder.
Fifth Gear

Mazda-Speed.com Founder.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 04:15:58 PM »

http://forum.miata.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=021339 Some more information. Jim

04 VR Mods FM LE KIT, GFB VTA, HID's, Nexus 7 in dash, Rotationally Molded Sub(4) Box, RF Amp 100x4, Polk door speakers, Running remote mod, HDHCDD RB, A-piller Temp/Boost gauges.
Agro321
Third Gear

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 04:27:13 PM »

Jim, That's exactly what I have.  Thanks again!

Agro321
Third Gear

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 05:35:37 PM »

Update in case anyone needs info in the future.

Found my closest Mazdaspeed dealer on mazdausa.com pointing me to Culver City Mazda. Just showed up and the service guy told me they can't do it without an appointment. Ok. Made and appointment and went this morning. Show up at 7am and immediately another service guy tells me "oh, it's a mazdaspeed and we can't touch anything related to warranty on it." Whatever, website is wrong and the guy is a total *ss about it looking at my car like it's a hunk of junk and tells me "I wouldn't have had problems if it wasn't turbo". Anyway I bought the bushing in parts to do it myself rather than drive to the official and real mazdaspeed dealer.

Bought part 0398-17-462a (don't buy it yet) as per http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=017736#000000. Taking the center arm rest console apart there are 2 screws on the front side, 2 in the lockable compartment, and 1 underneath the window switches. It's hard to pry the window switch "box" out of the console but you have to do it to get to the screw. Then there are four 10mm for the first rubber boot and three 10mm for the second boot. Removed the shift lever and the bushing stayed behind telling me that it had indeed popped out of the ball joint on the stick lever. Fished out the bushing thinking of replacing it with the new part but the new part is NOT the same size. My 04 MSM's is wider diameter. Luckily mine was not broken - it was just popped out. So I popped it back in and slid the whole stick with bushing into the hole. To slide it in you have to line up the bushing parallel to the hole or it won't go in. Overall it took about 20 min and would take 10min next time. Shifting is now fixed and back to normal tightness.

In summary: easy fix but part 0398-17-462a is NOT for the 04 MSM.

Thanks to all, Adrian

PS: Looked up Culver City Mazda on the Better Business Bureau site and they got an F ! I guess they did me a favor by not taking the car.
http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=16372&hAKAID=12&hAddrID=12

RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 07:10:58 PM »

Nice going Adrian!

might I suggest you or the moderator put a copy in the "FAQ and how to" thread! No Pics I'm guessing?

mgb

quad3d @ work
iD fanboi
Fourth Gear

I like kompuuuterrr!

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 07:53:40 PM »

think mine just broke or popped out (hope this is the case). think it just popped out... i have about an inch play in 1,3,5. in 2,4,6,reverse is perfectly fine. i have to wait till thursday to check it. thx for the write up  afro

BSD is for people who like how Unix works. Linux is for people who hates Microsoft.
[2007 Honda VBP Fit] (No more MSM... Sad )
Agro321
Third Gear

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 10:36:38 PM »

Even if it broke, it's no big deal since a new goes for less than $5 - just make sure they double check that the part will fit the MSM.  I bet yours just popped out though.  Glad you can use the info. 

quad3d @ work
iD fanboi
Fourth Gear

I like kompuuuterrr!

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 04:53:52 AM »

i just drove home from work... now it's perfectly normal? there are a lot less play now, still not as good as new. think i'll just have the dealership check it out on next oil change.

BSD is for people who like how Unix works. Linux is for people who hates Microsoft.
[2007 Honda VBP Fit] (No more MSM... Sad )
gtgray
Fifth Gear

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 01:17:18 AM »

Update in case anyone needs info in the future.

Found my closest Mazdaspeed dealer on mazdausa.com pointing me to Culver City Mazda. Just showed up and the service guy told me they can't do it without an appointment. Ok. Made and appointment and went this morning. Show up at 7am and immediately another service guy tells me "oh, it's a mazdaspeed and we can't touch anything related to warranty on it." Whatever, website is wrong and the guy is a total *ss about it looking at my car like it's a hunk of junk and tells me "I wouldn't have had problems if it wasn't turbo". Anyway I bought the bushing in parts to do it myself rather than drive to the official and real mazdaspeed dealer.

Be aware that any Mazda dealer can do warranty service on a Mazdaspeed. I spoke to Mazda Customer service yesterday. I posed the scenario of being out of town traveling and was not near a large city with a Mazdaspeed dealer and then breaking down. They assured me the local Mazda dealer would be able to do the service even if not MS certified. She said if the issue was something the dealer did not have direct experience they could use the Mazda Tech support line to get guidance. I think your problem with this dealer is not that they were not Mazdaspeed certified it. They were not Mazdaspeed certified because they are POS orgamization as measured by their Better Business Score.

Gary Gray

FM DP K&N Filer panel
Magnaflow Exhaust, Forge MSM specific DV on the car.
Cruise Control still in the box not on the car.
15" Rota GT3s Black with Polished Lip... Yeah Muddy made me do it.
Michelin Exalto P2
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 09:38:58 PM »

Need some help!

Our VR has been suffering the stick through mud symptom, and it sticks to the left and right when you push it those directions. Sounds like classic bushing trouble.

I pulled the center console (thanks AtlantDave for the writeup), and I got to the stick. See these pics.

(How to pull center console by AtlantaDave - http://mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php?topic=691.0 )

pic1

pic2

pic3

I can't figure out where the bushing is (I believe it is where the arrow points in pic3). The stick lever will not lift out, so, does this mean the bushing is connected to the stick lever? I've got it pulled apart, and will wait to see if anyone can help me get it fixed before I get it put back together. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 02:54:35 AM by RODEO » Logged

Agro321
Third Gear

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 10:19:00 PM »

Hey, Rodeo, you are almost there.  The stick should just lift out of where you put the red arrow - nothing else to unscrew.  Maybe your bushing is sideways inside there making is feel like it's not supposed to come out.  The bushing should be attached to the deep end of the stick but yours likely popped out.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: