Mazda-speed.com
April 19, 2021, 03:50:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15" Chaparrals with Yokohama S-Drive - First Impressions  (Read 4023 times)
opie
First Gear

« on: September 30, 2007, 05:48:59 AM »

I installed my shiny new set of 15" Chaparrals with 205/50 Yokohama S-Drive's tonight (recently ordered from RSpeed).  Took a short drive in town and on the highway.  The ride was less harsh and noticeably quieter than the stock Toyo Proxies on 17" Racing Harts.  I took a gps unit along with me to check for speedometer error.  Up to 75 mph, the speedometer was only optimistic by 1-2 mph.  I never tested the stock setup.

Seems like a big improvement for every day type driving, although a less aggressive look.  Pics below (midway through the swap).

rstange1
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:42:43 AM »

Those will look nice on the MSM. I switched to 15s shortly after I got my MSM and am very pleased with the result.

'05 Ti MSM with: Flyin' Miata Downpipe, Midpipe, Exhaust | Hydra 2.7 ECU w/KO Racing tune | Deatschwerks 700cc Injectors | Turbosmart Manual Boost Controller | BEGi Cool Air Intake, Intercooler, Throttle Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | FCM Elite Coilovers | Racing Beat 1.125" Tubular Front Sway Bar | Whiteline Endlinks | Enkei 15x8 PF01s | Hankook 225/45 R-S3s | Hard Dog HCHTDD Roll Bar | MiataRoadster Short Shift Kit | Audiovox Cruise Control | Sylfex AuxMod | VDO Boost Gauge | ScanGauge II | BlendMount | Cocomats
MSMemt
not your sister's miata
Fifth Gear

jinba ittai

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 03:28:24 PM »

wow, i'm surprised how good those look on a MSM... take more pics when all are on!

two hundred and ten not-so-furious horsepowers.  i can has more horsepowers?
got rice?
AsianGuyWithACamera.com
Fifth Gear

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 04:37:33 PM »

too bad they aren't available in 15 x 8 (at least not on the website)
opie
First Gear

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 04:11:05 AM »

Much wider and I bet you'll be outside the fenders...
Another pic?   Here ya go:

MSMemt
not your sister's miata
Fifth Gear

jinba ittai

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 04:12:44 AM »

looks great!  although it'd look even better a little lower!!

two hundred and ten not-so-furious horsepowers.  i can has more horsepowers?
RPSpeed
First Gear

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 08:11:21 PM »

Just got my gunmetal Chaparrals last night.
After 3.5 years of wagon wheels with rubber bands
it is going to take some getting used to.

First impressions of the S drive tires:
A bit more road noise
Significant increase in grip

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:25:24 PM by RPSpeed » Logged
04VRMSMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 03:43:08 PM »

Looks good!

Eric
msydnor
Fifth Gear

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 06:37:51 PM »

I wish I could get into the smaller wheels because they are cheaper, but the 17's just look awesome to me.

No more mods for now....got a ND...Launch Edition
opie
First Gear

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 02:07:21 AM »

Yeah, I hear you on going smaller.  Part of my brain said... "Smaller?  People don't go smaller for MORE performance."   Here's the way I look at it.   Once upon a time, putting larger wheels and lower profile tires on your car was a performance mod.  Then the gansta-wrappers and other hipsters caught on and took it to extreme.  Like this guy http://tinyurl.com/ysaodl.

So automakers are caught somewhere in the middle.  They want to offer something stylish and modern looking and the hipsters set the trend.  So while some things on our MSM's definitely have value - like the bilstein suspension and the turbo'ed motor.  Others.. especially if you're going to drive it everyday ... are questionable.  17" wheels on 40 series rubber falls in the later category, at least for me.   It's not extreme, but the trade-offs are still present in the form of potentially bent wheels, among other things. 

p.s. I think for everyday driving, 50 series rubber is plenty of stiffness on the typical sidewall.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: