Mazda-speed.com
August 04, 2020, 08:40:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OEM Brake Pads  (Read 2359 times)
stefenboy
First Gear

« on: April 30, 2015, 12:46:33 PM »

Alrite, forgove me if this has been discussed  but i have tried to use the search and am only more confused. Plain and simple....

- Oem vs Value pads ( i've found people say the value pads come with hardware and oem doesnt, are the pads the same?)
- Oem vs Value pads part number for front and rear?
- Where is the best place to get them?
- Any other pads worth a shot with low dust and good stopping?

Thank you for any inputs...
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 02:29:49 PM »

If your just looking for normal pads oem are fine. They do come with new hardware. Aftermarket pads or basically any pad not direct from Mazda will not come with hardware. Not that you really need it. Make sure they fit the 01+ sport brakes. IMO any oem or "value" pad is probably going to feel the same from any local FLAPS. If you are actually looking for something a little more performancy look into Hawk pads or Carbotechs. Both offer street level brakes. You can get these from any number of miata parts vendors.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:31:37 PM by Maduh » Logged

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
hox
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »

Carbotech 1521 (bobcat) series are terrific.  Low dust, better than OEM braking.    If you need new hardware, go with Centric hardware kits.

See this thread:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,30131.0.html

If I recall the rear Centric hardware kit was a very good match to OEM but the other one was 50:50,  the rubber bits were good but the metal clips were a bit off.

If your use includes Track or Autocross then you will need to get the correct pads for the activity.  Call the guys at Carbotech, they will point you in the right direction.

And don't forget to grease your slider pins.   Binding slider pins probably accounts for a large majority of the brake issues folks seem to have.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:18:10 PM by hox » Logged

2004 TI Gray MSM:  Production number: 2209 Production date: 2004-03-30
Modifications:

ECU: MSPNP-Pro, Tuned by KO Racing and Adrenaline Racing
Current output: 205 whp, 214 1b/ft torque @ 11 psi.

Roll Bar: Boss Frog Clearview with harness bar

Fuel: DW300 fuel pump, Fuel injector clinic 775cc injectors

Gauges: Autometer Ultra Lite II: boost/vac, full sweep water temp , full sweep oil temp

Engine: Flyin Miata CAI, FMII elbow with GM IAT,  Flyin Miata downpipe and exhaust, Skunk2 throttle body, FMII cold side piping.  FM oil return check valve, AWR/Mazdacomp hybrid motor mount system, Stock MSM Coils, MagnaCore plug wires

Drivetrain: MiataRoadster Short Shifter, ACT HD Clutch, ACT StreetLite Flywheel,  Energy Suspension Poly Differential mounts,

Suspension: Xida CS coilovers 550F/350R, Racing Beat Endlinks, Racing Beat 1.125 tubular front sway, factory rear sway, Bauer extended lower ball joints, R-package tie rod ends

Wheels/Tires/Brakes : Gen 4 6ULs 15x8, Yokohama AD08 205 50 15, Street Pad: Carbotech 1521, Track: Cobalt Friction XR2/XR4, Powerstop slotted rotors

Cooling: AC delete, Flyin Miata Intecooler, Flyin Miata Crossflow radiator, Spal stage II fans, 90:10 water: coolant+ water wetter, Flyin Miata Oil Cooler

Seats/harness/safety: Marrad LX1,  Schroth Profi II 6pt harness, Hans

Alpine CDE-SXM145BT CD Receiver Single DIN,  Alpine door speakers and tweeters.   Sirius/XM enabled with rear deck antenna.  

Fluids: Differential: Amsoil SVG, Transmission: Amsoil MTG, Motor: Amsoil Dominator 10W30 track,  Mobil1 0W40 Street.  WIX or Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter
stefenboy
First Gear

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 06:56:54 PM »

Am also considering the carbotech 1521's. I am using my msm as a daily driver so i do not want it to be dirty but still bites good. Read alot of people recommend the oem pads which is why i got so confused with the value pads option. I think i will give the carbotech 1521's a try and see how they go. Thanks for your replies.
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 07:40:04 PM »

If you go with the Carbotechs, make sure you follow the bed in procedure.

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: