Mazda-speed.com
August 04, 2020, 08:02:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In-dash Boost Gauge  (Read 64094 times)
Brent
Fifth Gear

I Miss Boost!

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 03:50:59 AM »

That looks really good!

Former VR MSM owner
07 Copper Red MX5 Sport | 17x8 Konig Runaways | 235/40 GS-D3 | IL Motorsport Bracing | Eibach Pro-Kit | A&R 6K HID | RSR | Hotchkis
rotorglow
Toyotae non carborundum.
Fifth Gear

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 03:59:13 AM »

I had a Westach gauge with basically no damping, it was always wiggling around and it made annoying rattling noises. The Speedhut seems a little sluggish compared to my Autometer, but in the same ball park.

Along the same lines, when I sent my Speedhut back about a year ago, they returned it with a new circuit board, which is a lot more responsive to sudden changes in boost.  So where the old gauge would slowly try to catch up with a sudden increase (like when nailing the throttle at highway speeds) the "new" one rises a bit, then jumps suddenly to the ballpark of the reading, then continues rising.  So I think they've refined its response a little.

2004 VR Sport: FM Big Enchilada w/ Hydra 2.7 + DeatschWerks 700cc injectors + FM crossflow rad + 3.63 rear gears + ES poly diff bushings + comp motor mounts--Koni Sports + Ground Control 550/375 + Racing Beat 1.125" bar + blocks & bolts--Wilwood/AX6 brakes--15x8 6ULs + RE-71Rs--Speedhut + Clearwaters + Auxmod + other misc electrics
axiomtherapy
Fifth Gear

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 12:55:20 PM »

looks great...glad I could help!!!!!!...can I have it back now?

Full FM intake, FM downpipe, FM exhaust, Enthuza XR Lightweight Exhaust with 3.5" tip for the track, Racing Beat 1.25" Tubular sway bar, blocks and bolts, Hard Dog Double Diagonal, Hard Dog harness bar, Autometer Boost Gauge, red rear lower lip, debadged, Gearhead end links, KG Works dash, 949 Racing 6ULs wrapped in 225/45/15 Hankooks,  rear strut brace, Roberts Automotive tow hook, Tein Flexes 10/6, Carbotech brake pads, Voodoo shift knob(pearl), visor blanks, Raptor Shift Light, Morette Tail lights, stainless steel brake lines, stainless steel clutch line
bossman4
Keeps getting faster
Fifth Gear

Donut man

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 12:14:51 AM »

Document this mod very carefully.  I think you have a real winner here and I would like to be a follower....

By the way, with the HYDRA I have a blinking Immobilizer light (Hydra quirk).  Sure looks like a good light to use for the missing oil pressure signal. (idiot light)

I looked hard and wide last night for a row of LED's or a multicolor LED (red/yellow/green)that could be driven by a dual switch oil pressure switch or an oil sender like the VDO.  No such luck so far, so maybe the single idiot light will do for the oil pressure.  Would not take much to slide in some LEDs some place on the panel....

FM DP and Exhaust
FM no MAF intake and throttle body with GFB
3.63 gears installed by PuddyMod
2.7 Hydra ECU with Wideband (auto tuned) and electronic boost in progress
Deadbolt Turbo upgrade
550 cc injectors
8" x 2" x 28" Intercooler
New Boss Frog Double Max Roll Bar (Silver)
Boss Frog Arms
Modified  Windblocker
Oil Temp, Water Temp, Boost Prosport Gauges in Lo-Tek Pillar
Buck Diamond Grill
Clearwater Speakers
550 cc injectors
CG Seat Belt Lock
Thompson Automotive Oil Filter Relocation with filter wrap cooler
WR Engine Torque Dampener
Voodoo Knob
MiataRoadster Short Shifter
Grom audio with bluetooth
silverblur
Third Gear

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 02:32:35 AM »

Looks great, Nice work!   rock
skeeler
First Gear

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 05:35:46 PM »

95MSM,

This sounds like a mod I'd be interested in doing. It would be nice to get my left-center vent back.

Based on your experience, do you think it would be possible to do something similar with a real water-temp gauge in place of the OEM one?

Skeeler

2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 #2372
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 08:13:37 PM »

Skeeler -

Each gauge is an independent meter screwed into the cluster, so you should be able to remove the water temp and replace it with a real gauge.  The oil pressure gauge area has the added benefit of being framed at 3 points that are nearly concentric to the gauge, so I was able to wedge the boost gauge into place rather than position it carefully via the 3 mounting screws.  At worst, you would need to mount the gauge cup via the three screws.  That would be a little more work to get everything lined up perfectly.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
emexfive
Fifth Gear

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 08:37:42 PM »

Skeeler -

Each gauge is an independent meter screwed into the cluster, so you should be able to remove the water temp and replace it with a real gauge.  The oil pressure gauge area has the added benefit of being framed at 3 points that are nearly concentric to the gauge, so I was able to wedge the boost gauge into place rather than position it carefully via the 3 mounting screws.  At worst, you would need to mount the gauge cup via the three screws.  That would be a little more work to get everything lined up perfectly.

I think I'd do the gauge mod to get more linear results before replacing it. I don't know of any aftermarket temp gauges that match ours as well as the Speedhut boost gauge does, but there may be one out there.

Black mica 05, Full FM DP/exhaust, BEGI CAI intake and FMIC, Hydra, 550 injects, Wilwood/Racing Brake big brakes, 16" Volk TE37s with 225/40 T1-Rs. Ohlins DFV coilovers, etc, etc...
silverblur
Third Gear

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 11:11:18 PM »

how long did this little project take?
mikethemachinist
Fifth Gear

Columbia, South Carolina

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 12:35:15 AM »

So did you put a true oil pressure gauge into the a pillar pod?  Or just delete it altogether?
rotorglow
Toyotae non carborundum.
Fifth Gear

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 02:00:56 AM »

I think I'd do the gauge mod to get more linear results before replacing it. I don't know of any aftermarket temp gauges that match ours as well as the Speedhut boost gauge does, but there may be one out there.

Speedhut makes temp gauges too.  http://www.speedhut.com/gauge_products-gauge_type-temperature.htm 

2004 VR Sport: FM Big Enchilada w/ Hydra 2.7 + DeatschWerks 700cc injectors + FM crossflow rad + 3.63 rear gears + ES poly diff bushings + comp motor mounts--Koni Sports + Ground Control 550/375 + Racing Beat 1.125" bar + blocks & bolts--Wilwood/AX6 brakes--15x8 6ULs + RE-71Rs--Speedhut + Clearwaters + Auxmod + other misc electrics
emexfive
Fifth Gear

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 02:30:06 AM »

Speedhut makes temp gauges too.  http://www.speedhut.com/gauge_products-gauge_type-temperature.htm 

Well, there ya go. And then you'd have calibrated numbers.

Black mica 05, Full FM DP/exhaust, BEGI CAI intake and FMIC, Hydra, 550 injects, Wilwood/Racing Brake big brakes, 16" Volk TE37s with 225/40 T1-Rs. Ohlins DFV coilovers, etc, etc...
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 03:13:47 AM »

Silverblur, it probably took about 3 hours.  I did it in stages - first taking the Speedhut gauge apart and measuring what was possible, then doing the same with the stock cluster.  After putting it all back together I decided a couple of days later to commit to it.  It probably took 2 hours to do the cut and fit, solder more flexible wires into the gauge wiring harness, install the sender and cable and then button it all back up.

I'm running without oil pressure indicator at the moment.  The whole point of putting the boost gauge in the dash is the A pillar pods look tacked on.  I'll drop an LED into the ceiling of the cluster and buy a "real" idiot switch.

But for now I've got a bunch of work to do on my S2 before I can come back to the Miata.  My oil pressure has been fading the last two races.  I plastigage'd the bearings and they are fine (replaced them anyway - in situ!), so tore down the dry sump pump.  I need a new rotor and gear for the pressure section, but there aren't any in the US.  For now, I've reassembled the pump with the best rotor and gear in the pressure section.  The two scavenge stages are under-worked and should be fine with slightly more worn parts.  I've put out feelers for spare pumps and may pick up a low mileage replacement with known good pressure.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
rlarsen462
Fourth Gear

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 08:01:45 PM »

Ressurecting this briefly because I love the idea, if the oil pressure gauge can be replaced with a real one.

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Pressure-auto_number-678.htm

Has anyone tried that yet?  Note that that gauge series doesn't have the warning LED and respective button which would be inaccessible in the cluster, looks nice that way I think.

2005 Mazdaspeed MX-5 #983 / 1428 *SOLD*
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2008, 07:51:47 AM »

95MSM - This looks fantastic.  When you are designing the Speedhut gauges, it gives you the option of supplying your own logo.  Do you have the 'Mazdaspeed' logo you used to create the OEM look of the gauge?  This is a GREAT mod - very clean looking.  Thanks!
-hyde

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: