Mazda-speed.com
April 22, 2021, 10:22:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15" fitment over MSM brakes...  (Read 16677 times)
gtgray
Fifth Gear

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 12:59:34 AM »

Well, the Exalto/Kosei's are on. I've only had the opportunity to run several miles down the mountain road towards town, but they feel much quicker. However, they shipped with 35.5, considerable higher than the 32-r/29-f which Mazda recommends. I think I may reduce pressure to 32 lb and see if the ride improves even more.

It will....  afro

Gary Gray

FM DP K&N Filer panel
Magnaflow Exhaust, Forge MSM specific DV on the car.
Cruise Control still in the box not on the car.
15" Rota GT3s Black with Polished Lip... Yeah Muddy made me do it.
Michelin Exalto P2
TIDE-HSV
Fifth Gear

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 03:34:54 AM »

Do you have an email from me sitting in your inbox?   rolleyes

Out of Huntsville, AL.  04Ti,  FM DP/IC, Xcede & misc... (yes, the avatar is my face - pic taken on Mt. LeConte, Smokies, 9/'06)
gtgray
Fifth Gear

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 02:40:04 PM »

Do you have an email from me sitting in your inbox? rolleyes

Yes.. I got really busy last night. I will reply tonight.

Gary Gray

FM DP K&N Filer panel
Magnaflow Exhaust, Forge MSM specific DV on the car.
Cruise Control still in the box not on the car.
15" Rota GT3s Black with Polished Lip... Yeah Muddy made me do it.
Michelin Exalto P2
AtlantaDave
Fifth Gear

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 04:55:34 PM »

Well, the Exalto/Kosei's are on. I've only had the opportunity to run several miles down the mountain road towards town, but they feel much quicker. However, they shipped with 35.5, considerable higher than the 32-r/29-f which Mazda recommends. I think I may reduce pressure to 32 lb and see if the ride improves even more.

Pics!

04 Ti MSM #2530
* FM Downpipe * FM Intake * FM TB Inlet Pipe * GFB VTA BOV * Crazy Red Italian Air Horns * Enthuza/ANSA Dual Exhaust *  KG Works Chrome Wavy Dash
* Voodoo Magnum Shifter & Brake Handle * Redline Leather Shift & Brake Boots *  Buck Diamond Grille * TDR Air Splitter * ALUTEC Rear Strut Tower Bar
* APEXi Turbo Timer/Greddy Harness * Thompson Oil Filter Reloc Kit  * McCulloch 5300k HIDs * Isotta Vallelunga Steering Wheel * OEM Small Side Sills
* NA Bi-folding Visors * Frenzy Style Bar w/Windblocker * Oakley Tanlines

TIDE-HSV
Fifth Gear

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 06:54:07 PM »

Later.  I don't have them on this machine.  However, I've got a vibration in the rear problem now.  TireRack is paying for them to be rebalanced locally, in case that's what it is...

Out of Huntsville, AL.  04Ti,  FM DP/IC, Xcede & misc... (yes, the avatar is my face - pic taken on Mt. LeConte, Smokies, 9/'06)
TIDE-HSV
Fifth Gear

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 09:50:57 PM »

First try:

sleighman
First Gear

2004/ 15X7- 215/50s /HDHC Roll Bar / FM int. & dp

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 01:08:44 AM »

Great choice.  They look great.  Enjoy the ride.   afro
TIDE-HSV
Fifth Gear

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2005, 02:12:27 AM »

I will - when I get the vibration problem worked out.  If I hadn't mentioned it, I live on a mountain top in a 3.5 acre thicket...   rolleyes

sajack
Fourth Gear

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2005, 02:40:31 AM »

I hope the vibration is a balance problem and that you didn`t mistake a bent wheel for a more serious problem.
Keep us posted.

`04 MazdaSpeed #2567 & `08  Mazda3 GT
TIDE-HSV
Fifth Gear

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2005, 05:28:59 AM »

I also, Steve.  I'm at a loss to understand what else it could be, in the rear end.  If the vibration were in the front, I'd have several candidates...

sajack
Fourth Gear

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2005, 10:42:43 AM »

I hope you didn`t damage a half shaft in the hole in front of the Mazda dealer.
Can`t people sue the city for stuff like that?

TIDE-HSV
Fifth Gear

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2005, 01:57:35 PM »

Thing about it is that I already had one bent back rim, and vibration, from some pothole in Huntsville.  I bent the second one over in Decatur, 20 miles away, because the dealership here was in the process of being repurchased by the dealer who had it up until 3 or 4 years ago, and there was no service department in operation here.  It's back open now, teamed up with his VW/Audi dealership, so maybe there'll be more service resources.  I had a little Mazda B2000 truck I bought from this dealer back when he had Mazda before and I didn't like the attitude of the service dept.  It's been my experience that the employees in a dealership pretty much reflect the attitude of the guy at the top.  Nevertheless, the dealership is the next stop if re-balancing doesn't solve it.  Tire Rack is paying for the rebalancing.  I took it first to the nearest approved shop, a Goodyear store, where they have a Hunter GSP9700.  However, that guy said that Miat tires always need to be balanced on the car, since they're so sensitive.  (Hell, I'm even beginning to worry about the theft-proof lug nut).  He suggested one of the Michelin dealers with an on-the-car machine.  I called Tire Rack again and they said they would reimburse for any Michelin dealer, so that's where I'm heading this afternoon...

sajack
Fourth Gear

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2005, 05:53:37 PM »

I thought spin balancing on the car was a thing of the past. I can remember when they used to shave the tires while they were spinning. They don`t still do that do they?

TIDE-HSV
Fifth Gear

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2005, 09:18:56 PM »

It may be in somebody's past, but not in mine.  I drew an old codger who stood about 6'1" and weighed, maybe, 125, if you counted the cigarette hanging out of the corner of his mouth.  He spun the front tires up - no vibration.  He moved to the right rear, and I climbed in to rev it up.  As soon as it started up, the car started vibrating.  We worked on it for about 30 minutes.  At one point, we'd covered two miles and I commented on it to him.  He said "sometimes it takes five."  Finally, it got it to "one more try."  (He'd already answered my question as to whether there were Michelins that simply can't be balanced in the positive).  The last try, he got about 90% of the vibration out.  The left rear had no vibration - smooth as silk. My dilemma now is whether I accept the 90% or demand that Tire Rack take it back and send a new one.  Remember that three out of four were perfect.  There's also the possiblilty that the right stub axle is out of true and he just balanced out the harmonics.  This shop has seven bays, with two devoted to spin balancing on the car.   The other five have Hunter GSP 9700 machines.  The spin bays cost $10 more, have a two-day waiting list and require an appointment - significant?  The shop manager stopped by and informed me that "we do all the SCCA guys, all the Miata racers."  I think I may have stumbled onto a winner...

sajack
Fourth Gear

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2005, 10:16:29 PM »

Couldn`t you have switched the rr with the rf and ruled out anything other than the tire?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: