Mazda-speed.com
October 31, 2014, 02:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our Sponsors!
The Gallery
Mazda-speed.com Forum Rules

Home   Help Login Register  

Be sure to visit our sponsors!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Synthetic Blend Oil recommended by Mazda!  (Read 2356 times)
Smokeys Driver
First Gear

« on: February 19, 2009, 10:48:04 AM »

shockeyes  HELP!  I dropped my '04 MSM off at the Mazda(speed) dealer this morning for oil & filter change, etc.  It's an '04 (16,000 k miles) in beautiful shape, with just a BEGI throttle body inlet pipe and a Forge bypass valve.  I specified full synthetic oil when I dropped it off.  I just got a call from the service rep who's telling me the Mazda factory rep is there and says Mazda recommends synthetic blend oil, and doesn't recommend full synthetic oil for any of their models.  He said if there was an issue with the engine later on, that having run full synthetic would be a "problem" with warranty repairs.  I told the service rep to use full synthetic oil anyway.  Was I wrong?  What are these people thinking?
Smokeys Driver
First Gear

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:03:30 AM »

I just checked the Mobil-1 site.  They've got a 'find the right oil' feature.  For my '04 msm, they recommend Mobil-1 fully synthetic for 'ultimate' protection.  They recommend 10w-30 for above zero, 5w-30 for zero temps and below, and they recommend 0w-30 for ultimate mileage.  They say you can run the 0w-30 for up to a year.  I don't see any reason to use a synthetic blend.
Aruba
2004 Titanium, #3838
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:35:28 PM »

I have had others tell me that our local Tucson Mazda dealer specifies NOT using synthetic engine oils in the Miata.  I think they are crazy because there are hundreds of thousands of Miatas out there that have been run litterally millions of collective miles on various brands of synthetic oil with nothing but positive results.  I have personally used nothing but Mobil One in the two Miatas I have owned (an '01 and now my '04 MSM) and have had no issues and neither car ever had to have any oil added between changes and I never had any kind of oil leak.

Black w/silver lip 15x8 +36 offset 6UL wheels with 225/45/15 Toyo R888 tires; FM IC, GFB-BOV, MBC, O2 modifier, DP and full turbo exhaust; BEGI throttle inlet duct and full BEGI CAI; FM springs and sways; Bilstein HD shocks with FCM 36mm bump-stops; 37mm Koyo dual-core radiator; Hard Dog rollbar; Simpson 6-pt harness systems for driver and passenger; A-pillar dual-pod with boost and oil temp gauges; Audiovox CC-100 cruise control operated via Mazda steering wheel stalk.  Here's a video link of the car in action at a Laguna Seca HPDE http://miata-website.rdopso.com/Videos/Laguna%20Seca%202009%20clip.wmv .

This wonderful MSM now belongs to Apexeater who is enjoying running it on the four Phoenix-area road racing tracks at least as much as I did.
Smokeys Driver
First Gear

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:01:45 PM »

I read a couple of websites about oil, and they said that semi-synthetic is more viscous, and less likely to leak in high-mileage engines.  I think Mazda is afraid full synthetics will allow high-mileage motors to use/leak oil.  So, if your oil seals get old and start to leak, you could consider changing to semi-synthetic.  Full synthetic seems to protect turbos and other  engine parts from wear much better.  I want it.
cargasm
Third Gear

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:26:06 PM »

Another possibilty may be the fact that synthetic oil generally lasts longer than conventional oil, and they want you to return to them for an oil change sooner so they can suck even more money out of you...

2004 Titanium Grey Metallic Mazdaspeed Miata
#204 of 4000
154.7whp/147.13wtq
HDHCHT
Painted hard top
Aruba
2004 Titanium, #3838
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 03:18:11 PM »

Another possibilty may be the fact that synthetic oil generally lasts longer than conventional oil, and they want you to return to them for an oil change sooner so they can suck even more money out of you...

I think you hit upon the more likely reason, there my man.

Black w/silver lip 15x8 +36 offset 6UL wheels with 225/45/15 Toyo R888 tires; FM IC, GFB-BOV, MBC, O2 modifier, DP and full turbo exhaust; BEGI throttle inlet duct and full BEGI CAI; FM springs and sways; Bilstein HD shocks with FCM 36mm bump-stops; 37mm Koyo dual-core radiator; Hard Dog rollbar; Simpson 6-pt harness systems for driver and passenger; A-pillar dual-pod with boost and oil temp gauges; Audiovox CC-100 cruise control operated via Mazda steering wheel stalk.  Here's a video link of the car in action at a Laguna Seca HPDE http://miata-website.rdopso.com/Videos/Laguna%20Seca%202009%20clip.wmv .

This wonderful MSM now belongs to Apexeater who is enjoying running it on the four Phoenix-area road racing tracks at least as much as I did.
Smokeys Driver
First Gear

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »

I agree the dealers like more frequent expensive maintenance; Mazda just wants to keep warranty claims down, unless they're trying to help their dealers out.  The consensus I've seen is, if you don't like coked up turbo bearings, use full synthetic.  They gave me full synthetic, by the way, and noted on the ticket that Mazda does not recommend it, and that they told me that.  Fine.  Just do it right. banghead
Sonny
Fourth Gear

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 06:57:42 PM »

I think all this is dealer convenience. Dealers want to use their stock. They may have to send out for full synthetic oil. When I first purchased my 2004 MSM new (VA), the dealer recommended full synthetic for all MSM. When I questioned their price for a full synthetic oil change, they said bring your own full synthetic oil.  Two subsequent dealers (AZ) have told me the same thing.

2004 Velocity Red MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#2732 of 4000).Yokohama Sdrive 215/40R17 Tires. FM Dual Turbo Muffler. High-Flow Honeycomb Grille. Complete FM Intake Kit. MBC @ 10 psi. Column Mounted SW Maximum Performance Vacuum/Boost Gauge. Scan Gauge II. Robert's Autosports Front Tow Hook. Simulated Wood Dash Kit. Racing Beat Ultra Ignition Wires. Formula One Pinnacle Window Tint. StopTech Slotted Front Rotors. Removed Visors.
LovMyMSM
Third Gear

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »

Yes do be careful when trying to purchase Full Synthetic from a dealer. The Nissan dealer here that i worked at had Mobil 1, but they sold it for 10.50 a quart!!! I'd bring your own oil...takes the confusion out. Keep your receipt and check the prices! "Think with your dip-stick Jimmy!!"
mprhead5
Driving 98 NB8C in japan
Fifth Gear

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 11:58:39 PM »

bsflag  They are full of it if they think they can void a warranty for using full synthetic. Anyway you would have to have a blown motor in order for oil choise to be a factor and it is very unlikely that you are going to blow a miata motor unless there are many other factors in which you have vastly voided all hope of warranty.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=FZOCMIgpT3g
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=85pogIC1C4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdOD7edsJYQ
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3211493
#64 of 4000 completed Friday January 30th  04
240WHP@15psi/94 octane. Mods: Blouch turbo upgrade, full intake/exhaust, Hydra ECU, Falken Dunlop Star Specs. Fat Cat Motorsports Custom Coilovers, 3.63 gears, hard dog, G-Force, Speedhut, Voodoo.=, Torco race fuel's. 
04GT2860
Reason why I'm broke:
Fourth Gear

BMueller

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 05:24:24 PM »

I would never ever use anything but a full syn in a turbo or supercharged vehicle. Ever. a (mostly) non-variable Viscosity is key in the cold.

As of 12/2 looking at picking the car up on 12/8 (what a Bday present that would be!!!)

#2832 of 4000
: Garrett GT28RS 'Disco Potato': Hydra with all the goodies: 550cc injectors : Wideband controller : Mishimoto Rad : Slim Fans: Tubular Manifold : 3" turbo back Borla Exhaust : Borla Exhaust Tip : 2.25" intercooler piping : BOV : Murdered out MSM rims : 8000K HID kit : Bigger FMIC : Tint :  Boost and EGT gauges :
On the Way:
New Tires : H&R Springs : Dyno Tune (in progress) :

Other garage mates
2002 Dodge Durango
2001 HD Sportster Custom
Ruffy
Runin' on Fumes
Third Gear

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »

Shortly after I got my MSM in the spring of '05, I had a chat with Brian at Good-Win Racing about oil.  He modifies and preps Miatas for the track, so he knows what he's talking about.  Brian said not to consider anything other than a FULL SYNTHETIC, and his favorite, based on experience, was Valvoline.  I used full synthetic Valvoline for a couple of years with happy results but have since switched to Amsoil based on tests I found online.  Smiley

For what it's worth, full synthetics lubricate better because they have consistent-size molecular chains, which are chosen because of their optimal lubricating capabilities.  Non-synthetics have molecular mixtures, some optimal, some not.  I'm not exactly sure what semi-synthetics are, though I can guess.

FM downpipe, Enthuza Borla muffler, FM Complete Intake Kit & Boost Gauge, Clearwater speakers, Hard Dog rollbar, Konig Heliums, 3.63 rear end, Frog Arms, Intake grille, Chrome fuel fill plate, ModAux, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat Bump Stops, Racing Beat Sway Bar, Spoilerechtomy
yahtah
Fourth Gear

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 11:47:50 PM »

Has anyone asked Mazda for an official explanation why they specify a Synth Blend instead of full Synth Oil. Maybe this should extend to the Trans Oil and Diff, too.

#3056 Ti MSM, HDHCDDHT, Corksport Catback, NT01's on the RHs
akriggm
Second Gear

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 05:31:47 PM »

I know they aren't experts, but the sevice manager at the dealer from which I bought my MSM told me that Mazda didn't recommend synthetic in their cars because they hadn't done any durability testing w/synthetics - and this was while they were donig a synthetic oil change on my car (I normally do my own w/Mobil 1, but the car was in for a warranty battery replacement in the middle of January and it was due......).
Enjoy,
akriggm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Be sure to visit our sponsors!