Mazda-speed.com
November 17, 2019, 06:17:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay Downpipe and TURBO ELBOW Install LOTS OF PICS!  (Read 17349 times)
revlis240
Third Gear

Everything happens for a reason.

« on: September 20, 2009, 10:07:33 PM »

So far I love it! There was some issues I had to overcome, and will explain via pics below. I am impressed with the quality and would recommend it. I dont know if the turbo elbow was worth the PITA that it was to install, but oh well! The downpipe install has been covered on other posts, so I will focus on the turbo outlet. The downpipe fit and finish was stellar as well.

Initial reviews are that the car with stock exhaust sounds like it has an aftermarket exhaust. JUST loud enough for my taste. If i add a cat back, it will be too loud. Im waiting for a CEL, but i have installed a LONG o2 sensor extension for the rear o2 to hopefully avoid the CEL. So far no CEL...

Tips:
- Try not to break the studs on the turbo outlet
- Use the supplied gasket AND the donut gasket on the connection from the DP to the catback
- soak everything in some sort of liquid penetrating stuff
- Buy a 7/8" or 22mm o2 sensor socket

Unboxing of elbow and dp:

The DP compared to stock:

The Elbow compared to stock:

Couldnt have done it without this!

You MUST buy this "o2 sensor" socket to remove the stock front sensor. I couldnt fit a wrench in there.
There is a heat shield that prevents you from getting to the back bolts of the elbow and the heat shield wont  come off without taking off the o2 sensor. Undo the sensor plug from the top and then use a universal joint to remove the o2 sensor.

With the heatshield removed, use a long extension and a universal to remove the back bolts

Here is where i ran into problems. I broke the bottom stud off the elbow and was NOT able to remove it. My only option is to remove the turbo to get to it, so I just put everything back together with 3 bolts on the elbow instead of 4 and so far...no leaks! Thank god.

With the new elbow installed, the o2 sensor hits the dipstick tube and you cannot slip the socket over the sensor to tighten. Luckily though, you CAN now get a monkey wrench in there and tighten the sensor:

All done!

thumup
Abe
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:12:07 PM by revlis240 » Logged

#1241 of 1428 in TiGray | AEM Intake | Ebay FMIC | MBC at 10psi | Forge BOV | Begi TB Inlet | 315cc Injectors | Ebay Elbow | PCV Bypassed |

#598 of 1428 in Lave Orange! | FM Intake | MBC at 10psi | ebay Forge style BOV | PCV Bypassed | Hydra 2.5 Install pending | 550cc injector install pending | FM LBBK | Magnaflow 2.5" Catback Exhaust | Ebay Elbow & Downpipe
revlis240
Third Gear

Everything happens for a reason.

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »

Hey guys,
Ive been getting a lot of emails lately about my post in the FAQ section. Could one of you moderators please add this addendum to this post:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,18623.0.html

I cant edit/add to the FAQ, but would love for this posted to be added to it if possible.

Anyway,
To cheat the CEL caused by a catless downpipe, you basically need an extension on the rear o2 sensor. The theory is like this:

By having the rear (green) o2 sensor spaced away from the exhaust stream, it sees the same approx amount of emissions its looking for as if there was a cat there.

The spacer you want is the LONG version. It looks like this on ebay:

I hope that helps! If you have more questions, feel free to PM me, but this should set many on the right path!

Abe

#1241 of 1428 in TiGray | AEM Intake | Ebay FMIC | MBC at 10psi | Forge BOV | Begi TB Inlet | 315cc Injectors | Ebay Elbow | PCV Bypassed |

#598 of 1428 in Lave Orange! | FM Intake | MBC at 10psi | ebay Forge style BOV | PCV Bypassed | Hydra 2.5 Install pending | 550cc injector install pending | FM LBBK | Magnaflow 2.5" Catback Exhaust | Ebay Elbow & Downpipe
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:33:18 PM »

For a point of information the sparkplug antifouler is usually available in the local auto store in the HELP section of parts.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: