Mazda-speed.com
April 19, 2021, 03:17:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H&R race spring questions  (Read 12404 times)
chance91
Fifth Gear

OK!

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 07:01:18 AM »

I have the FCM 46mm bump stops and H&R springs.

.... And?

2005 MazdaSpeed Miata #927 

Join the MSM Registry!

MiataMan
Fourth Gear

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 09:43:49 AM »

I have the FCM 46mm bump stops and H&R springs.

.... And?

I don't think I have hit the bumpstops. The OEM Bilstein and the H&R spring is good choice but I'm dreaming about the FCM coilover or the FM Afco.

Opel Speedster Turbo -05
17" ATS DTC
Klasen-motors ECU, intercooler

---SOLD---2005 MSM GT #1383/1428 Black Mica ----SOLD-
chance91
Fifth Gear

OK!

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 03:28:29 PM »

Cool.  Surprised you like it on the OE bilstiens.  Good stuff.

Join the MSM Registry!

Keith
FM tech weenie
Sponsor
Fifth Gear

Racer, builder, author

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 05:05:29 PM »

No, I don't have personal experience with the H&Rs.

The H&R front spring rates aren't any higher than the FM ones. If the car sits lower, that means more time on the bumpstops and degraded ride and handling. In the rear, you've got a higher rate so the car will be more prone to oversteer. That's more rear spring (relative to the front) than I usually recommend, you'll have to set the sway bars to suit. If the front bottoms out mid-corner, you'll probably find a loss of front grip.

Figure coupling the H&r's with a good shock like the bilstein HD, and a set of FCM 36mm bumpstops would help solve that issue?

No. The bumpstops will help a bit, but they're not dramatically different than what you have from the factory. The Bilsteins won't help much either.

I understand what you mean with the bumpstops, no doubt, but there are solutions out there for that purpose.  Not sure I'd do the HRs myself, but I'm pretty sure you could make it work well by getting creative.  IMO, it wouldn't be a bad sacrafice between looks and performance.  They certainly don't seem to make the car handle worse.  

Solutions for hitting the bumpstops are basically a higher ride height, higher spring rate or moving the bumpstops Smiley As for sorting the handling balance, putting in more front sway bar and less rear (relatively speaking) will help. Changing just the springs will definitely make the car handle differently. Worse? Depends on what problems it has to begin with. If you already have good handling, changing to different spring rates with more rear bias will make the car oversteer more.

Keith Tanner
Author of How To Build A High Performance Mazda Miata
chance91
Fifth Gear

OK!

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 05:30:39 PM »

If you already have good handling, changing to different spring rates with more rear bias will make the car oversteer more.

Hmm.  Yea, well I suppose you can figure if one lowers the car at least partially for looks, they are also in to mad tyte jdm drifting, yo.  So, more oversteer might make them smile.

You have good points, kidding aside, as in, when you go with something like this, it takes a bit of work (likely $$$ too) to get things sorted properly.  For some, its worth it, me, I think I'd skip on it just for asthetics, and go with something "proper."

Join the MSM Registry!

hweelies
Third Gear

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 08:21:27 AM »

I have H&Rs and like them an the track. They dont like sharp bumps though.
Stannyl
Third Gear

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 05:02:11 PM »

I literally just put the H&R Race springs on my MSM 2 days ago. Before that, I had Jackson Racing lowering springs that I got from a dude with an regular 01 Miata. Not sure what the difference is specifically, but with the JR's on there, the front was literally slammed but the back was still pretty high. Probably about stock height in the rear or a tiny bit lower. My main issue was that I was constantly smelling burnt rubber after driving over bumpy roads. I guess the JR's just weren't necessarily made for the MSM. Anyway, I finally got tired of that and the front-low, rear-high look so I got the H&R's. Still got the stock MSM shocks on there. Put the H&R's on and I love it! It actually raised the front a tiny bit plus with the new spring rates, I don't sense (or smell) any rubbing anymore! Also, the rear is finally dropped down too! I wouldn't say it's slammed but it does make me wonder because I've seen pics of others with the same set (H&R's with stock shocks) and it looks lower then mine is. What would the average length of time be for new springs to "settle"?
bambam
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »

My only gripe with FM springs is how high they make the car sit.

my opinion the HR will suck.  Not enough shock travel.  I heard the ride was hard........FM springs ain't  that bad, they are lot better than before I put them on.  It looked like a 4-wheel drive

Buck 
theomega
Jammin
Fourth Gear

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »

about 6 months late with the response there lol

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: