Mazda-speed.com
April 19, 2021, 04:01:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: #$@&% Wheel locks!  (Read 4689 times)
skydiver
Third Gear

« on: September 21, 2005, 02:14:58 AM »

I may be the last to know about the weakness of wheel locks but I have to vent (especially since I ruined a wheel in the process).

Today I was taking off my wheels  (this is only the second time)  so that I could paint the calipers.  Three of the wheels came off OK,  but on the fourth,  the wheel lock nut must have stripped because I still cant get it off!   The problem of course is that the depressions in the locks are very shallow, and the lug-nut wrench that comes with the Mazdaspeed is the standard offset cheapo.  Naturally,  using this wrench doesnt allow for a clean torque because of the offset,  which wants to wobble the nut a little.  Well,  it must have,  and the lock nut stripped.  Then just for the hell of it,  I decided to replace all the lock nuts and could only remove 1,  the other two are now locked on.  Tomorrow I will go to a tire shop to see what they can do.  I'll never use the wheel locks again. tickedoff
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 03:37:29 AM by skydiver » Logged

RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 03:00:37 AM »

Sorry to hear about the hassle.

I will take mine off, and replace them with standard nuts. Problem is, one MSM came with 4 standard nuts to replace the locking nuts, onedid not.

Can I get that sized nut to match easily, and advice would help.

Or, does anyone think the dealer would believe me 4 months after purchase, and give me a set of nuts?

Am I "nuts"????

SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:06:22 AM »

When we bought our 1992 Yellow in 1998 it still had the factory locks on the wheels and 2 of them were stripped.  I got a socket that fit snuggly over the wheel lock and hammered it onto the lock and then removed the lock with a 1/2 breaker bar.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
Ran Kizama
H3NTA1
Fifth Gear

FORMER OFFICIAL TRUNK MONKEY

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 06:58:11 PM »

I hated the factory wheel locks. It was a PITA everytime I had to swap wheels for something. Anywho, I managed to lose my key so I took it to Mazda and borrowed their key from another MSM. I then went to Autozone and bought a set of wheel locks that works a lot better.

RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 04:57:09 AM »

anyone know the lug wrench size for the lugs, I'd guess 21mm, but need to confirm.

Canyonfive
National Champion BSP
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 05:06:39 AM »

huh I have had zero issues with them. even on my 03 non msm. with many wheel tire changes. even at places where idiots work like tire pros

www.miataspeed.com My YouTube Channel
My BSP build thread
Ebay IC, Custome Koni 2812's by Guy Akney, FM Intake, FM DP, Hallman Pro Rx @ 10psi, GFB VTA BOV, Carbotech Brake Pads F/R, 15 X 10 Custom Wheels, Hooiser A7's,  Memory Fab/ lotus seats , Custom from sway bar , Muffler Delete, Hydra 2.7 EMS Launch Control Flat shift E85 , 550RC's, Fuel Lab fuel filter,
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 05:36:20 AM »

anyone know the lug wrench size for the lugs, I'd guess 21mm, but need to confirm.

nevermind, I searched 21mm, I found it a couple places, 21mm is confirmed
http://mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2674.msg26379#msg26379

speedj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 09:52:39 PM »

The next time you strip or loose your lock, try this:  Take a cold chisel and hammer to split the lock nut off the stud.  Of course you'll need to replace the stud when you're done; perhaps even the wheel if you're a bad shot... but the hammering is good therapy for your frustration... it just feels so good.
TasDev68
Second Gear

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 11:05:11 PM »

A little anti-seize on the threads works wonders the next time you want to take them off.....Roger

Tas Dev Racing.....Cincinnati
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 02:21:54 AM »

huh I have had zero issues with them. even on my 03 non msm. with many wheel tire changes. even at places where idiots work like tire pros

First time I pulled the MSM wheel - only and first time I've done it - and the d*mn locking luck cracked - about 20% of the surface is gone. Gonna have to remove them all now, don't trust them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: