Mazda-speed.com
April 22, 2021, 11:50:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Track Oriented Alignment  (Read 1478 times)
millsj
Fifth Gear

« on: October 05, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »

I am in need of a new track oriented alignment and wanted to get some input from you track guys.  I still have the OEM shocks and springs (stock ride height), so I canít go too nuts with the settings.  What alignments specs are you guys running on the track and are you happy with it?  Would you make any changes to your current settings?  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
Aruba
2004 Titanium, #3838
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 05:14:09 PM »

A decent starting point with a stock MSM suspension for track use with either high-performance street tires or R-comp track tires would be something like the following.  But keep in mind that while the stock suspension generally works fairly well on the track with a conservative alignment such as that below when running high-performance street tires, it can get a little over powered and sometimes exhibit unpredictable handling characteristics when using full-race tires, especially with more negative camber (which produces more mechanical grip) -- so be careful out there on the stock suspension because many of us believe it's a a bit too soft for many drivers when running full-on race rubber.

A conservativer track alignment for use with the stock MSM suspension.
front caster of about positive 4.5 to 5.0 ea side
front toe of zero both sides (produces good turn-in); rear toe_in of 1/32" each side (caution - rear toe_out on a Miata produces unpredictable loose handling)
front and rear camber of -1.5 degrees each side (if car is loose with this camber setup, reduce from camber to -1.3 or increase rear camber to -1.7 or -1.8 if possible)

Black w/silver lip 15x8 +36 offset 6UL wheels with 225/45/15 Toyo R888 tires; FM IC, GFB-BOV, MBC, O2 modifier, DP and full turbo exhaust; BEGI throttle inlet duct and full BEGI CAI; FM springs and sways; Bilstein HD shocks with FCM 36mm bump-stops; 37mm Koyo dual-core radiator; Hard Dog rollbar; Simpson 6-pt harness systems for driver and passenger; A-pillar dual-pod with boost and oil temp gauges; Audiovox CC-100 cruise control operated via Mazda steering wheel stalk.  Here's a video link of the car in action at a Laguna Seca HPDE http://miata-website.rdopso.com/Videos/Laguna%20Seca%202009%20clip.wmv .

This wonderful MSM now belongs to Apexeater who is enjoying running it on the four Phoenix-area road racing tracks at least as much as I did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: