Mazda-speed.com
September 30, 2020, 05:26:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MotoRad Fail-Safe Thermostat  (Read 31245 times)
Sonny
Fourth Gear

« on: June 23, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »

I installed a MotoRad Fail-Safe Thermostat last week. After only a few days of use, my "Check Engine" light came on with a PO128 code (Coolant thermostat stuck to open). The Fail-Safe thermostat sticks open under normal operating conditions, not the overheating conditions it advertises ["Automatically LOCKS OPEN to permit coolant flow when overheating occurs"). Puzzled by a new thermostat sticking open, I checked several auto forums and found that every person who installed this thermostat had the same problem. Don't be fooled by MotoRad's advertisement. Their "Fail-Safe" thermostat does not work as advertised!

2004 Velocity Red MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#2732 of 4000).Yokohama Sdrive 215/40R17 Tires. FM Dual Turbo Muffler. High-Flow Honeycomb Grille. Complete FM Intake Kit. MBC @ 10 psi. Column Mounted SW Maximum Performance Vacuum/Boost Gauge. Scan Gauge II. Robert's Autosports Front Tow Hook. Simulated Wood Dash Kit. Racing Beat Ultra Ignition Wires. Formula One Pinnacle Window Tint. StopTech Slotted Front Rotors. Removed Visors.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »

I was told to try one for my Subie since it came in a lower value than the OEM unit.  I read their website and decided the general idea is flawed because why do you need the thermostat to stay open if the car overheats.  You only need the thermostat to stay open if there is something wrong with the thermostat itself.  I passed on it and wrote it off as a good idea not implemented properly.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
scottwes
Third Gear

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 07:19:33 PM »

And when the car is overheating the thermostat will be wide open anyway, right?  The point of a t-stat is to open above a certain temp, so when the temp is way above the target open temp it should still be open.  A t-stat that "sticks open" at high temps is snake oil.  Right?

2004 Ti GT #3448
10 psi---Joe's MAF relocate Intake---Forge BPV---Autometer boost gauge---Visor delete
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 08:24:05 PM »

Exactly

The original claim was this was a thermostat that if IT fails it would fail open but there is nothing in the data that indicates it would do this.

Larry

Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
JoeMazda585
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »

well then technically it did its job,... it failed... open.
Sonny
Fourth Gear

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 12:51:06 PM »

Technically, it is supposed to fail open if the vehicle overheats. What it does, as describe by me and every other web site installer, is lock open under normal operating temperatures. That means it is not a thermostat at all, just a waste of time and money.

2004 Velocity Red MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#2732 of 4000).Yokohama Sdrive 215/40R17 Tires. FM Dual Turbo Muffler. High-Flow Honeycomb Grille. Complete FM Intake Kit. MBC @ 10 psi. Column Mounted SW Maximum Performance Vacuum/Boost Gauge. Scan Gauge II. Robert's Autosports Front Tow Hook. Simulated Wood Dash Kit. Racing Beat Ultra Ignition Wires. Formula One Pinnacle Window Tint. StopTech Slotted Front Rotors. Removed Visors.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »

The point of it even locking open if the engine overheats is stupid.  If the engine overheats and you have an operating thermostat it will be fully open when the car overheats anyway.  If you try to use the car again and it overheats again the thermostat would open fully again anyway.  When this thermostat first came out the claim was that it's purpose was to be open if the THERMOSTAT failed.  That's not what it does.

Larry

– Ernest Hemingway
Invader_MX5
Fifth Gear

#302 of 4000

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »

Amen to waste of time and money. I tried one about a year or so ago. Was told that if the thermostat failed, it would open to prevent overheating. It lasted maybe a month before it locked it self in the open position and threw a code.

Mods:
Red Italian air horns | Boost Gauge | FMIC (28x7.5x2.5) | ACT Stage 1 Disc and Plate | Flyin' Miata Full Intake | 8000K HID
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: