Mazda-speed.com
November 24, 2020, 03:18:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presenting '90MSM!  (Read 179344 times)
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »

I still need to set the cams. The intake cam sprocket doesn't have both the 'I' and 'E' marking like the Haynes book shows and the head was off for so long I don't remember exactly what the orientation was. I've never done a timing belt so '95MSM is going to swing by tomorrow and give it a once over.

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »

I never use the Haynes book.  I found too many wrong things in it.  The Graingers Enthusiasts Manual, Keith's books and the FSM are my reference guides.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2012, 10:39:56 AM »

Full day today.  I started by swapping hubs between the cars so the ABS sensors would fit.  I'll post in the other thread about that too.  While I had the hub off, I took a minute to put on the Trackspeed backing plates.  This should help cooling a ton.

The ABS ring/sensor is now happy.  The '04 hubs are on the track car with the rest of the '04 stuff and the '05 has hubs to match the vin.  Why do I expect this will still confuse me when it is time to do new hubs?  rolleyes

I finished up the ramps for the trailer.  Simple but functional and I'm glad to have them out of the garage - I need the space!

The next excitement on the agenda is mounting the seat.  I had a pair of grungy Corbeaus sitting in the back room that will work perfectly.  Unfortunately, I needed to make the mount from scratch.  I copied the design of the Corbeau mounts (I have two passengers but no driver sides  angry9 ). 

One thing I didn't like about the Corbeaus when I had them in the MSM was that they sat too upright which forced me to put 1" spacers under the front.  I never liked this and it put pressure on the back of my legs when working the pedals.  Instead of raising the front this time, I decided to drop the back.  I cut the mounting bar out of the back of the seat and welded it to the other side of the seat frame.  This allows the frame of the seat to sit on the floor (and my rear end by extension).  I did a test fit before painting the frame and the seating position feels almost perfect.  My shoulders are square to the wheel and the brake pedal is right in the center of my body.  My knee clears the wheel by over an inch as I work the pedals and my arms have a nice bend to them at 9 and 3. 

Mounting the seats in the MSM sucked beyond anything I had done to the car.  This was much better - probably less than 6 hours of fab start to finish.  I did beat on the tunnel a bit with the BFH (blunt force helper  angel1  Roll Eyes ) to get the Corbeau in but it wasn't too bad.  I don't know if I'll have time to do the passenger side before MRLS but I will do it for sure eventually.  Making passengers scream is some of the most fun you can have on the track and I'll gladly pay the weight penalty to have a right seat for those smiles.   afro

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2

newold_m
Fifth Gear

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »

Want passenger seat.  Want passenger seat.. Cheesy

'04 MSM: sold
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2012, 07:03:24 PM »

Want passenger seat.  Want passenger seat.. Cheesy
But you didn't scream - even when we slid through T14 and went 2 off in T1!   Grin Grin

I'm sure you can appreciate the triage going on:
1.  Get car running.
2.  Get car running well enough to not blow up and return to the paddock under its own power each time.
3.  Install passenger seat.
  Tongue

newold_m
Fifth Gear

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2012, 03:17:56 AM »

Absolutely.  You definitely have the right priorities..  Smiley

'04 MSM: sold
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »

Got the seat mounted and the harness set.  Here's the seat bracket mounted with zero clearance to the rail.

And the seat mounted...

Did some brainstorming on the center stack and how to mount everything.  Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:25:37 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2012, 08:40:41 AM »

I spend a few minutes last night test fitting the exhaust that came off the black car.  For anyone neurotic about details, I will be using a BEGI SGDP into a 3" Corksport exhaust.  I had a shop cut out the 'MSM' dip at the union of the DP/Exhaust and relocated flex to be behind where it bolts to the transmission.  The result is great although the DP and exhaust are now forever tied together as a pair.

Fortunately, I'm using the MSM subframes so the two exhaust hangers are perfect there.  The Corksport exhaust doesn't have any hangers in front of the rear subframe so the two on the NA chassis will be unused.  The last pair is at the muffler.  I'm going to need to weld a pair of new hangers off the opposite side of the frame rail but by my estimations, it will fit the bumper cutout perfectly.

No, there isn't much room for a 3" exhaust but I was able to flog the black car with this setup for two seasons without ever hearing a rattle.  The urethane exhaust hangers are critical to that result.  Install tip to R&R exhaust hangers:  Lube them up with 409.  It's basically soapy water and dries without residue.  Just keep it from dripping in your eyes...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:41:56 AM by mr_hyde » Logged

The_Guff
Fifth Gear

217 WHP/208 TQ @ 10.5 PSI UNTUNED!

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »

You probably have seen this on miataturbo already, BE is releasing the street version of their oil pump this month. Regular pricing is $280 but guaranteed price is $270 for early adopters, every 5 people takes $10 off the group buy price.

It's still a new fully blue printed pump with the billet gears installed. It's coming out just in time for reassembly of my car!

Velocity Red MSM #2487/4000
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2012, 09:06:05 AM »

I got a very interesting oil pump from a member here - a very limited production run from miataroadster from several years ago that was installed on a motor for a few hundred miles until poorly gapped rings ruined the block.  Bill confirmed it was one of his with some photos but said they were too expensive to produce at a good price point.  He also said he has never heard of any of the ~20 production run failing.   afro

I didn't get a ton done so far this week.  Monday it was 60* here (after a foot of snow 3 weeks earlier) so I did some maintenance on the tow vehicle.  I would like to publicly thank Ford for making a truck with a well designed heater core.  Remove the glovebox (no tools required), remove cover held on by seven 8mm bolts that are all accessible with the same socket/extension directly through the glovebox opening and the heater core is right there.  I have done heater cores on cars where the seats need to come out to get the console out to get the steering column out to get the dash out so you can remove the HVAC ducting and access the heater core 7 book hours later.   Angry

I did the belt, all hoses, t-stat and radiator cap while I was at it so we should be good-to-go although I am going to inspect and bleed the front brakes before towing to MRLS...

The race car is going to have a BEGI coolant reroute that I got in a box of parts with a VICS manifold and several other bits for $100.   afro  One of my many half-baked ideas to simplify things is to utilize the 1.6 fan switch that usually mounts on the front water neck.  It basically holds the fan relay open until it reaches temp and then turns the fan on.  If it fails or comes unplugged, the fans default to running.  Simple and ingenious except that I needed to find a place to mount it in the hot side of the water jacket.  Luckily, the BEGI spacer has two extra ports - two of which fit perfectly.  The only problem is they are tapped for a NPT plug with a rounded deck around the tap.  No problem.  I found a brass washer that fit the sensor's o-ring and stirred up a little JB Weld.

I'm excited to have one less thing for my as of yet unidentified ECU to worry about controlling.   help

The rest of tonight was spent sorting nuts and bolts and cleaning up the house a little.  I put two dashboards and two seats in the attic and boxed up several boxes of 1.6 parts that I may need in the future but aren't needed right now.  These include AC and PS systems, two complete 1.6 intakes, two complete 1.6 brakes sets (calipers, rotors, pads and master cylinders), and dozens of interior bits.  A pedal set, wheel... blah blah blah...  You get the idea.

My real motivation was to locate three things I couldn't find anywhere:  MSM throttle cable (needed to use the 1.8 intake and throttle body), turbo oil and water lines with banjo bolts and the 1.8 starter motor.  I hit the jackpot in a box that has been buried for weeks.  Everything was together almost like I knew I was going to need it...  rolleyes  Thursday, I'm going harvest the 1.8 plugs off the MSM harness and do a some brainstorming of basic routing.  After that I'll be hardcore into the final assembly of the hot side, hang the motor on the crane and install the clutch/flywheel and transmission.  I won't get far enough to actually get it in the car Thursday but it should be pretty close to ready.  The clock is ticking...

Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »

Muffler? It's race car! Why you need muffler!?  Azn

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »

Funny thing called sound limits.

We had a situation this last track day that was a lesson in how DB works.  The weather was cool and damp.  We had guys with stock GT3's and Camaros that have driven on this track many times being thrown off the track for breaking the DB sound levels.  We don't have low limits at this track.  I'm a little concerned about what will happen when I take the Z06 to the track.  Lifting on the front straight before the DB meter stinks and if your caught doing it they treat it like you failed.

Larry

Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2012, 06:19:31 PM »

Turbo cars rarely fail sound but we're not barbaric. Besides, late night tuning sessions go better with a reasonable sound level.

Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2012, 11:25:31 PM »

Funny thing called sound limits.

We had a situation this last track day that was a lesson in how DB works.  The weather was cool and damp.  We had guys with stock GT3's and Camaros that have driven on this track many times being thrown off the track for breaking the DB sound levels.  We don't have low limits at this track.  I'm a little concerned about what will happen when I take the Z06 to the track.  Lifting on the front straight before the DB meter stinks and if your caught doing it they treat it like you failed.

I wonder if that has to do with the track's location?

There's a few tracks in chicagoland that the porsche's and spec miatas attack all day with strait loud exhaust. But they are both located either way out in the sticks... Or owned private property out next to a NHRA drag strip. I mean we autox in the drag strips parkinglot, and there's a grassy hill that's supposed to act as a sound barrier between the drag strip and the road coarse. But I swear you get the Porsche club on a track day and even half a mile away with the hill it sounds like the cars are running right next too you.

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2012, 12:04:39 AM »

Well the track was in the middle of nowhere when it was built but now 60 years later there are housing developements around it even though it's still in the middle of nowhere.   shockeyes

The point is we have sound levels but they aren't low and GT3s and Camaros run there all the time but on this day the weather was such that the DB readings were higher than normal causing cars to fail that normally pass with no issues.

Larry

– Ernest Hemingway
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: