Mazda-speed.com
November 23, 2020, 10:05:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presenting '90MSM!  (Read 179311 times)
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2012, 01:22:49 AM »

Our local track was built in the 1950s on 300+ acres of private property.  In the last 60 years, houses have popped up around it including on who's back yard is up against the run off area of a 90mph braking zone.   shockeyes  These people seem aghast that we would like to be able to run our cars around the track 7 days a week and occasionally run a night event too.  They are shocked that race cars are loud.  I would like to hear from anyone who moved into their house BEFORE the track was built.  Everyone else can pound sand. tickedoff

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2012, 01:27:59 AM »

It is amazing, isn't it.  LaGuardia Airport in NYC is forced to use all sorts of noise abatement procedures because of all the housing built all around the airport, none of which was there when the airport was put up.  The noise abatement causes some very scarey take offs and landings to be done!   shockeyes

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
rotorglow
Toyotae non carborundum.
Fifth Gear

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2012, 02:52:17 AM »

There's no racing (or schools, I guess) at all at Lime Rock on Sundays because of the noise.....

Larry's comment about LGA reminds me about something I read by a commercial pilot about how dicey flying into DCA can be, given the serpentine approach caused by all the restricted airspace around it.  He said more flights should divert to Dulles in bad weather, but people get mad (when they really should be thanking the pilots for getting them on the ground safely).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:53:36 AM by rotorglow » Logged

2004 VR Sport: FM Big Enchilada w/ Hydra 2.7 + DeatschWerks 700cc injectors + FM crossflow rad + 3.63 rear gears + ES poly diff bushings + comp motor mounts--Koni Sports + Ground Control 550/375 + Racing Beat 1.125" bar + blocks & bolts--Wilwood/AX6 brakes--15x8 6ULs + RE-71Rs--Speedhut + Clearwaters + Auxmod + other misc electrics
bigx5murf
Fifth Gear

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2012, 05:39:16 AM »

I did not know this about LGA... then again i've never used LGA, JFK only... always wondered why you needed 2 airports 15 min away from each other

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2012, 08:45:58 AM »

Back on track tonight.  I realized that not all 1.8 fuel rails are the same.  The NA8 rail will not fit a BP4W head in case anyone cares...  Crap...  banghead

I spent some quality time with the engine harness.

I also went through the wiring diagram and identified everything in said harness.  I'm leaning towards a full DIY with the Adaptronic.  Anyone who want to proofread - this is just a first draft...

Many of these will tie directly into the Adaptronic harness.  The VTCS plug matches the VICS solenoid on the new manifold so I can use it and the existing wiring into an output in the computer for an RPM switch.  Pretty cool.  MAF sensor gets converted to a MAP and the AC and PS signals can be pulled.  Boost control eliminates 2 wires although I will need to add a pair for the real EBC.  EGR and O2 Sensor eliminate 10 wires. 

The plan would be to start with timing (Cam and crank), fuel, spark, MAP and get it running.  Then add TPS, IAC and the coolant/IAT trims.  Last is boost, VICS, 2nd IAT and Knock control.  Boy, that sounds simple! Shoot me now...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2

SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2012, 11:22:37 AM »

I did not know this about LGA... then again i've never used LGA, JFK only... always wondered why you needed 2 airports 15 min away from each other

LGA start life as an airport for Pan Am who was using the Flying Boats at the time.  Hence the terminal at LGA called the Marine Air Terminal.  It was built there because LGA is on Flushing Bay.  The same thing that made it work for that purpose is the same thing that stopped it from developing into the main airport for NY.  The airport is built on the bay.  There was nowhere to expand.  When props gave way to jets they had to extend the runways and this had to be done by building them on stilts into the bay.  There are only 2 runways there and they are limited to the type of plane that can use the airport.  No 747s at LGA.  Funny thing is they could handle DC10 and L1011 though.

This is why Kennedy became the main airport.  Lots of property to build multiple runways of unlimited length.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2012, 06:45:58 AM »

I don't feel like I got much done today but I guess there was progress.  Part of the day was spent chasing some failed ideas with the BEGI spacer.  I mentioned in my previous post about my desire to use the NA6's fan control sensor that goes on that engine's waterneck.  I put everthing together to do that and realized I had a problem.

I could make it work if the T-Stat was placed against the block but that would keep flow from the heater core until the temp was reached which defeats the whole purpose.  The neck from the NA6 would have been perfect if that pesky firewall wasn't there...

Instead, I tapped into the blanking plate I made last week for the front of the engine.  The wire is already up there so it made sense.  I just noticed I didn't take any pics of that but I like it.

The next step in my day was to start assembling the manifold and turbo.  That's a lot of inconel!!  Brand new M8x1.25 studs described earlier and the M10 studs for the downpipe I put on last year.  Resbond everywhere - the goal is to not need to even touch the hotside until next time the engine comes out.  Any bets?

I've taken turbos out of these cars more than I care to count and after looking at this closely from this angle, it might make things easier to remove the oil and water line from the block instead of the turbo - at least the oil feed which comes over the top of the turbo.  Either way, the lower support plate it critical to get out of the way no matter how you are taking things out.

The motor made the big journey from the dining room to the garage.  I put the flywheel and clutch on but had to stop for the night when my 3/8" plug on the bottom on the BEGI spacer interfered with the bell housing.  I'll return to the store in the morning to find a recessed hex plug as well as a plug for the EGR bung off the manifold.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:24:04 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

Nik Naym
Third Gear

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2012, 07:20:59 AM »

Hyde, thanks for this thread.

I really enjoy following along as you build your car. It sort of gives me a chance to "build vicariously"  through you.

Also this thread has taught me why I can't tear down and rebuild an engine: I don't have a dining Room!  laugh

'05 LO, #504
  私の髪の風
シフトと漂流
機械的な音楽
アドレナリンサージ
Lokiel
Fifth Gear

Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »

A true follower would symbollicly skin their knuckles every time they visit this thread as a sign  of support and appreciation Tongue

Ti Aussie "SE" (cannot be called "MazdaSpeed" here, "speed/performance" badging encourages reckless driving apparently), DIY AutoTune MS3-Pro ECU, Borg-Warner EFR6258, NitroDann custom manifold+3"exhaust+CAI, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, GM D514A CNPs, 83.5mm coated CP pistons, K1 rods, Fab9 350HP intercooler,  ported Squaretop Intake Manifold, Skunk2 Throttle Body, ATi Super Damper, '95MSM SpeedHut Boost Gauge Mod, GREDDY Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat, Setrab Oil Cooler, BC Racing BR Series coilovers (8/6kg), 1.125" Racing Beat Tubular Sway Bar + Al Braces, 949racing SuperMiata end links, Carbing 3-pt shock tower brace, Nickel 6UL 15x8s, Toyo R1Rs 225/45/15, Wilwood Front BBK, SS Brake Lines, FM Frame Rails, Boss Frog "Frog Arms", MX5 Plus Twin Hoop Roll Bar, MiataRoadster long-angled SSK, Piano-Black Voodoo Knob&HandBrake, Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 gauge+sensor, Lotus Probax seats + lots of "goes faster" chrome bling (since chrome reflects light, less of the colour spectrum is absorbed, making the car lighter - "pseudo-science" Smiley ).
Build Thread: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091
scotty b
They called you exotic. Which is people talk for awesome!
Fifth Gear

Just another lost weekend, need another vacation.

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2012, 09:53:37 AM »

A true follower would symbollicly skin their knuckles every time they visit this thread as a sign  of support and appreciation Tongue

Knuckles is my cat's name, you are sick!

JK I don't have a cat, and if I did have a cat named Knuckles I wouldn't be averse to skinning it to support a '90MSM.  Cats have fleas, try to claim my property by peeing on it, and require their poop to be cleaned up regularly.  I'm done owning cats, no more ever.

'04 TiG, BEGI Re-flash; 450 cc injectors; FM IC; FM turbo back exhaust; BEGI intake; FM Oil cooler, Walbro 255HP, FM cross flow and Spal fans; GFB-BOV; MBC; Moroso air/oil separator; Nickel 6UL 15x8 with 225/45/15 BFG Rival S; V-Maxx Xxtreme; SSK; Wilwood 6 piston front, 4 piston rear brakes;  HDHCDD; Sparco Sprint V seats; Simpson 6-pt harness system; A-pillar dual-pod with boost and oil temp gauges, #3838

2006 C230 Sport, 2.5L V6, 6spd MT.  My favorite daily driver ever (so far).

Used to own:  '04 TiG, Big Enchilada, FM brake upgrade, Autometer boost gauge, Motegi Traklites, #2082.

My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
CharlesE
Fifth Gear

Southeastern Connecticut

« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »

Mr. H:  consider posting the Wiring chart to the FAQ's.

scotty b:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:04:52 AM by CharlesE » Logged

2004 VR MSM - FM (CAI, Downpipe, O2 Modifier, Full Exhaust, PCV, Timing Belt Kit), Hallman MBC, Silver Star Headlights, Speedhut Boost Gauge, Stainless Steel Brake & Clutch lines, Thompson Air Horn, Mobil 1, Gates Racing Belts, Samco Hoses, Hitemp Brake Fluid, Passport Detector, GPS Drive Navigation (I-Phone), 15x8 6UL's and 205 RE-11's, Carbotech AX6's, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, FM V-Maxx Stage 2 Suspension, 949 End Links.  MR Roadster Short Shifter Kit

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud....After a while you realize they like it.
ec62
Second Gear

« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2012, 01:58:13 PM »

What was the final out come of the tube from the catch can. Did you leave it in the pan or did you remove it.

05 MSM full FM Intake and exhaust MS3 with 440cc injectors 3.63 rearend 225 45 16 fk452

Build #791
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »

Light blue and light green show the same code? LB?

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »

Light blue and light green show the same code? LB?
Oops, that's a typo!  I'll redo that and edit when I update.  I try not to skin my knuckles but I did hit my thumb with the angle grinder a few weeks ago.  Finally stopped oozing a few days ago...  hack  The catch can tube is still on there but it is plugged.  If I have time, I'll probably make up a blanking plate instead.

scotty b
They called you exotic. Which is people talk for awesome!
Fifth Gear

Just another lost weekend, need another vacation.

« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »

Yeah, they are cute when they are kittens, but kittens grow up to be cats, and apparently cats carry infectious brain control pathogens that will turn us into zombies.

'04 TiG, BEGI Re-flash; 450 cc injectors; FM IC; FM turbo back exhaust; BEGI intake; FM Oil cooler, Walbro 255HP, FM cross flow and Spal fans; GFB-BOV; MBC; Moroso air/oil separator; Nickel 6UL 15x8 with 225/45/15 BFG Rival S; V-Maxx Xxtreme; SSK; Wilwood 6 piston front, 4 piston rear brakes;  HDHCDD; Sparco Sprint V seats; Simpson 6-pt harness system; A-pillar dual-pod with boost and oil temp gauges, #3838

2006 C230 Sport, 2.5L V6, 6spd MT.  My favorite daily driver ever (so far).

Used to own:  '04 TiG, Big Enchilada, FM brake upgrade, Autometer boost gauge, Motegi Traklites, #2082.

My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: