Mazda-speed.com
November 24, 2020, 04:11:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presenting '90MSM!  (Read 179362 times)
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2012, 03:32:42 PM »

I've had the switch bypassed on the black car for years so I'm used to parking in neutral and checking that before I turn the key.

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »

Tinkered with things some more today.  I also got a stereo put in the tow vehicle since it didn't come with anything.  I don't need much but a 1,000 mile drive with no music would suck a bit...  Why do all new radios need to have so many flashing lights and look as expensive as possible?  I will be pissed if someone breaks my window to steal my $100 stereo.  Oh well, free installation so it was one less thing I need to do.   afro

With the coolant reroute comes a few complications.  I blocked the front at the head so there is no water neck in the front to route the normal hoses through.  Obviously, I'm not running the interheater through the throttle body but I did want to retain the OEM oil cooler this time around.  The nipple for it is on the back of the head near the reroute but not part of that assembly.  The hose coming out of the cooler is supposed to go somewhere that no longer exists so I routed the cooler directly to the return manifold.  Luck me, they are two different sizes...

This little bracket came off the subframe and is normally used to secure some power steering junk.  I modified it to use one of the bosses from the intake support that is no longer there.  Fit perfectly.

I'm not 100% happy with all of this but I did get the fuel system in and working.  I could have routed things better, got 90 degree barbs for the ends of the rail and a less massive T but this works for now and it will allow me to keep an eye on things vs. a small leak under the manifold that I might not be able to see.  All the failure points are right out in plain view and all of the hoses are (or will be) clad in split loom for extra protection.

Once it was all in and sealed up, it ran an extra hose from the return to a can and pumped the last 4 gallons of regular out of the tank and poured it into the F150.  When this thing fires to life, it will need better gas.  I also pinched the return line and was happy to find no leaks.

I did some more work on the tombstone.  I drilled and tapped four M6 1.0 holes and countersunk 4 stainless steel machine screws.  It's way too much shine right now - perhaps powerdercoat it black?  Maybe a bunch of gauges and switches will help it be less in-your-face.  I need to give some serious thought to the placement of everything.  It will be an evolution and the aluminum piece was only $25 or so.  I could certainly do it over if I don't like the direction it is going.  BTW, did you know you can shape .125" aluminum with woodworking tools?  Yup, a router made those cuts and a belt sander cleaned it all up.  Maybe next time I'll just build a car out of plywood...

There will be a lot of random things that need power in the car and the OEM harness will be rapidly diminishing as I go so a good source of power convenient to the console is important.  A convenient ground point was also needed.  The power block got tapped with the same M6 1.0 and the ground points were sandwiched between 2 copper washers with the paint scraped away around the hole.  Some of the power will be constant and some switched depending on what I'm doing.  The next step is to start heating up some of the engine harness stuff and see if I can get the Adaptronic to say hi to the laptop and read some sensors.

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2

newold_m
Fifth Gear

« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »

How about plastidip on the aluminum panel to cut down on glare? You can always peel it off later if you decide to go with powdercoat route. 

'04 MSM: sold
VolCrew
Fifth Gear

« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2012, 07:29:34 PM »

noticed the cruise control stalk - that'll come in handy on those really long straights!

2004 Ti MSM GT  - my Red Barchetta
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2012, 08:09:30 AM »

noticed the cruise control stalk - that'll come in handy on those really long straights!
I'll be installing a cup holder for my morning coffee and skinning the Corbeau to install a seat heater.  I draw the line at PS and AC though - need to keep the engine bay as clean as possible.   Smiley

Lokiel
Fifth Gear

Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!

« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »

How about plastidip on the aluminum panel to cut down on glare? You can always peel it off later if you decide to go with powdercoat route. 

Consider sandblasting the aluminium tombstone, it will dull it down and give this type of finish:

Another cheap option is Wrinkle-Black paint. The problem with paint though is that when scratched it will look obvious and start to peel.

Ti Aussie "SE" (cannot be called "MazdaSpeed" here, "speed/performance" badging encourages reckless driving apparently), DIY AutoTune MS3-Pro ECU, Borg-Warner EFR6258, NitroDann custom manifold+3"exhaust+CAI, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, GM D514A CNPs, 83.5mm coated CP pistons, K1 rods, Fab9 350HP intercooler,  ported Squaretop Intake Manifold, Skunk2 Throttle Body, ATi Super Damper, '95MSM SpeedHut Boost Gauge Mod, GREDDY Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat, Setrab Oil Cooler, BC Racing BR Series coilovers (8/6kg), 1.125" Racing Beat Tubular Sway Bar + Al Braces, 949racing SuperMiata end links, Carbing 3-pt shock tower brace, Nickel 6UL 15x8s, Toyo R1Rs 225/45/15, Wilwood Front BBK, SS Brake Lines, FM Frame Rails, Boss Frog "Frog Arms", MX5 Plus Twin Hoop Roll Bar, MiataRoadster long-angled SSK, Piano-Black Voodoo Knob&HandBrake, Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 gauge+sensor, Lotus Probax seats + lots of "goes faster" chrome bling (since chrome reflects light, less of the colour spectrum is absorbed, making the car lighter - "pseudo-science" Smiley ).
Build Thread: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2012, 04:39:08 AM »

It's covered in blue painter's tape right now while I think about the gauge/switch layout. Looks kinda good! Tongue

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »

Got a little done tonight.  I routed a power lead from the engine compartment box to my little mini fuse box behind the console and started brainstorming toggle switches.  So far I have:
1.  Engine (including accessory on the same relay - future switch for starter button).
2.  ECU.  I like the idea of the ECU being on its own switch.  That way I can turn it on to program without having the whole car powered up.
3.  WBO2.  This will also power all of the gauges that are being added.
4.  ABS.  For when I really want to thrash my brake pads.
5.  Boost.  Because I can, I'm going to have a switch to send juice to the EBC.  It can be left off for rain or guest drivers who scare me more than the car scares them.   Angry

There could be more added as we go - not really fixed on the layout of lineup yet...

I fabbed up a quick bracket for the ECU.

The cover still fits for the feet of those screaming passengers.   angel1

I was hoping to route the wideband somewhere more interesting than through the tranny turret but it would have required new holes cut - not interested.  I figured I'd zip tie the LC-1 right in plain sight.  It looks kind of cool there.  Functional bling (or too many beers while working...)  hic

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »

Lots of little details today including such boring bits as finishing the transmission/downpipe brace.  With the extra brace, the OEM bolts don't have as many threads to engage so I picked up some longer, fully threaded bolts.  The engine, manifold, turbo, downpipe and transmission are now one solid piece.  I almost finished wiring up the wideband.  I'd forgotten what a PITA that process is.  5 wires off the gauge an 6 wires off the controller - most to different things.  I also got the boost gauge 75% in.  Most of the time was spent on the console plate.

First, I wanted the OEM hazdard/headlight switch where it belongs.  Don't ask why, it just felt like something I wanted to do.   laugh  To complete this without drilling mounting bolts through the face, I had to make a little sleeve to hold the switch and JB Weld a bracket onto the back.  I used self-tapping screws to hold those together so the switch is removable.

Here is the basic layout so far.

I'm planning to mount the phone there since it is my lap timer for now.  I'll put in a USB jack for power and I still need to drill and mount the blower switch.  The button and LED are for the LC-1 - it gives status and reset ability.  I don't have a specific purpose for all 7 switches yet but 5 of them are accounted for so it shouldn't be hard to find 2 more things that need power.

lassi
Fourth Gear

« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »

Looks nice! Am jelly of your project. Too bad I really have no reason to do a project like yours. (8hrs to closest track..)
I would love to just go all out with my own ideas without having to consider daily driving, road worthyness or inspections.

05` Lava Orange - FM downpipe/exhaust - BEGi intake & intercooler - Adaptronic select - DW600 - LC1 - Xida cs 550\350 - 3.63 r&p- BNR turbo

13` CX-5 2.2D
scotty b
They called you exotic. Which is people talk for awesome!
Fifth Gear

Just another lost weekend, need another vacation.

« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2012, 06:16:01 PM »

I don't have a specific purpose for all 7 switches yet but 5 of them are accounted for so it shouldn't be hard to find 2 more things that need power.

Passenger side ejector seat and oil slick sprayer in back bumper.

'04 TiG, BEGI Re-flash; 450 cc injectors; FM IC; FM turbo back exhaust; BEGI intake; FM Oil cooler, Walbro 255HP, FM cross flow and Spal fans; GFB-BOV; MBC; Moroso air/oil separator; Nickel 6UL 15x8 with 225/45/15 BFG Rival S; V-Maxx Xxtreme; SSK; Wilwood 6 piston front, 4 piston rear brakes;  HDHCDD; Sparco Sprint V seats; Simpson 6-pt harness system; A-pillar dual-pod with boost and oil temp gauges, #3838

2006 C230 Sport, 2.5L V6, 6spd MT.  My favorite daily driver ever (so far).

Used to own:  '04 TiG, Big Enchilada, FM brake upgrade, Autometer boost gauge, Motegi Traklites, #2082.

My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2012, 11:06:36 PM »

I strap the passengers down tight so they don't get scared and jump out at 130.  I'm going to skip the oil dispensing system and hopefully the engine doesn't do it automatically. It is refreshing to build something with no compromises (besides money shockeyes ).  It is allowing me to feed the mod addiction without molesting the poor MSM as much. 

We are blessed to have a half dozen good tracks within a 5 hour drive and that many more overnight into California. I've personally be on 8 different tracks with the MSM and a completely new one is open this year. I can't wait to get on there too!

JoeMazda585
Fifth Gear

« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »

ive found that with aluminum- if you hit it good with a wire wheel and then use the wrinkle paint it will stick very strong. heatgun for a few mins between coats and it cures even stronger. but the more heat early on- the less the wrinkle. gotta practice to find the heat range for different types of wrinkles.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:17 AM »

Well, since I had all the woodworking tools in the garage, I thought I'd put some actual wood into the build:

The first part of the day was spent installing Joey's awesome spring centering bushings on the Xidas.  We can discuss that in the other thread.  The Adaptronic came to life tonight also.  I have most sensors reporting so it's just a matter of time to get it to fire.  I cranked it over for a while and didn't get any oil pressure.  Hopefully that works itself out.  I verified that the instrument cluster is getting power without the 1.6 ECU plugged in.  Very few of those wires are doing anything...  I also put in the 1.125" front sway put the upper and lower hoses on the radiator and added water.  Those constant torque clamps are going to be the end of me...  Oh - went and got 8 gallons of 92 for the gas tank.  Can't very well ask it to start with no fuel!  Tired now and lucky me, I need to work tomorrow...  Angry

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #134 on: February 29, 2012, 11:01:43 AM »

I've been quite proud of this project up until recently.  The engine compartment is proving to be quite a mess.  There are two complete engine harnesses here, a coolant reroute that doesn't route as well as I had hoped and a full intake that is cobbled from leftover OEM bits, an FM intake purchased used from a member here and a 2.5" DIY kit off fleabay.  It doesn't route as well as I wanted and is generally messy - plus I have only pieced it together.  I need to bead roll everything when I get if fit finally.

All that said, the intake is in and I put the nose back on:

Hotside mess:

Coldside that actually looks pretty good beside the tube making contact with the sway:

Swaybar mount support block to help transfer load to the frame:

Frighteningly close clearance from the sway to the shock body:

The throttle body.  I'm not happy at all with the BOV location but the NA headlights make the MSM intake a bit of a challenge to work around...

To guarantee with certainty that I won't be able to get the car running without more wiring under the dash, I installed the seat and gauge hood.  This seals my fate...

Everything is finally ready to start the car.  It won't of course - acute lack of fuel or spark so I'm working through that.  I do need to put fluid in the tranny and differential.  There is just water in the radiator so once I do a few heat cycles and make sure there are no leaks, I'll drain a bit out for a 70/30 mix give-or-take.  When I need a mental break from figuring out why it won't run, I can put on fenders, doors and the hard top.  Next will be an eyeball alignment.  I do need to get the exhaust hangers finished but for now double hangers, a bolt, nut and two fender washers are working just fine.   angel1

When I started planning this project out in my head last fall, I targeted the end of February to have the engine to fire on its own so I'm not too far off.  Maybe with the leapyear, I can get lucky tomorrow night!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: