Mazda-speed.com
November 23, 2020, 09:37:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presenting '90MSM!  (Read 179300 times)
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »

I was gonna vote for asking the neighbor in for a drink, but thought that would take the project WAY off track!  smitten Wait til the car is done and you've gone to MRLS before you do!  afro
Yeah, no.  She is nice but ~20 years older than me and her husband is a nice guy.  He was the one that helped me push the wreck into the garage back in October!  We've come a long way since then!!

My first thought as I was working today is that a higher power wanted to make sure I didn't get excited and try to drive it before I checked everything over...

It didn't accumulate much but I don' think the bald NT-01s would appreciate it much.   shockeyes

Today I got quite a bit done.  I put in the rear ladder brace on the sub frame.  As some might know, there are no mounting bosses in the NA tub to attach the 4 forward bolts.  I got out Mr. Sawzall and whacked the front of it off so I could at least connect the bottom of the sub frame.  The juice went in the differential and transmission and the MR tall shortshifter that had been in the black car went in (I got the 'short' one to replace it - equally nice feeling).

Next up was a proper routing of the wideband:

Several hours went into putting all the body panels on including the hard top that is now bolted down.  The engine bay is getting closer with some of the hacked in intake plumbing supported.  I think we're ready to go!

The fans weren't working on a daytime (neighborhood sponsored) heat cycle.  I'll need to fix that but I really don't care if I have to run a relay to a toggle switch.  We're still a little bit away from the passenger seat but I'm starting to feel more confident I'll actually have the car at least on track for the first session at MRLS.  Hopefully later in the week I'll feel more confident about the 2nd, 3rd and 4th session and Sunday as well.   laugh

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2012, 05:30:55 AM »

I got back from the first test drive a bit ago.  I was glorious!  Loud, visceral and primitive.  The car felt angry, like a beast that has been in a cage for 4 months that has just been let out.  This is during the engine break-in so I'm on wastegate pressure and really just running up and down the RPM range while letting the motor pull down in full vacuum as much as possible. There were no long pulls in boost but you can tell it wants to run.  These are the first revolutions I've put on the tranny and differential and I'm happy to report everything feels smooth.  The brake pedal is hard as a rock and the spacing of the pedals themselves feel excellent - there was some massaging done to help the spacing.

I got the fans to cycle so check that one off the list.  I'm going to put cables in the door handle release in a minute so I can put the window in.  Did anyone see the picture of snow I posted yesterday?  Well, yeah... It's still below freezing and that's no fun with no windows!   Roll Eyes  I also stopped by Home Depot Motorsports for stuff to finish up the air box.  The heater core isn't very effective with no air blowing through it.  With a little luck, I'll put some break in miles on it this week, change the oil and find a test-n-tune day somewhere the next week.  There are a dozen little details that need to be done still but we're getting there!!

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2

newold_m
Fifth Gear

« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2012, 05:37:07 AM »

Congrads!

'04 MSM: sold
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »

And despair...  The clutch is slipping.   Cry  The good news is it's running great.  I don't think I have the emotional energy to pull the motor again so I'm going to see if I can use my friend's lift.  I'd rather have it done in a day without disrupting all of the things that are going well... In the meantime, I can drive it enough to break in the engine and get the basic tuning done plus work out some of the little details.  Feel free to chime in on my new thread in the tech section soliciting opinions on clutches and flywheels.

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »

I spent about 2 hours calibrating the temperature sensors tonight and then went on an 80 mile drive.  Calibrating the sensors is an exercise in patience.  You basically remove the sensor from the engine and plug it back into the harness.  Boil some water in a pyrex and put the business end of the sensor in the boiling water.  With a digital thermometer or pyrometer, take the temp of the sensor in the water and hit the 'learn' button on the ECU software as you pass each point on the ADC map (9 degrees f at a time).  Once you get down around ambient, slowly add ice until you calibrate ~32 degrees with a nice ice water bath.  I did this for water and intake air.

The drive went very well and the clutch is starting to grab.  I'm just at ~8psi wastegate pressure and the tach hasn't been hooked up yet so I'm not doing any crazy pulls but I couldn't feel it slipping.  As the first track day is Laguna Seca, I can't have any unknowns with the clutch.  The Rahal Straits between T7 and the Corkscrew is a long WOT pull climbing well over 100 feet in altitude.  If a clutch is ever going to slip, it will be there.

The oil pressure is concerning me.  I think I have a sticky relief valve.  It reads high but pegs to 90 psi under load.  At idle, it drops down to closer to 60.  I've read reports that they sometime pop loose on their own and high pressure is better than the valve being stuck at the other extreme - no pressure.  I may shoot myself in the head if I need to pull the motor again anyway...  Stay tuned.   buck2

dvdreith
Fifth Gear

« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »

I can imagine how discouraging this can be... but in an attempt to kindle some motivation, pop your head over to mt.net and read through feaflora's build thread... lol

I wonder if it is slipping because of left over oil residue?

Either way I look forward to seeing this completed! !!

Full Built motor: take 2!
Hydra 2.6, 550cc injectors, FM intake, liquid to air intercooler
Block:
.040" over
Acl race bearings.....maybe this time, oem thrusts will be used!
84mm Fm weisco pistons
Carrillo super A beam rods
ARP fasteners
Ati damper
Arp studs
Head:
Cometic .040" head gasket
S.S. 1mm oversized valves
Titanium springs & retainers
Port, polish, unshroud valves
Custom powdercoated valve cover

Shoes:
2nd gen 949racing 6ul's in nickel
wrapped in Nitto NT01's
that sit under BC coilovers
Lokiel
Fifth Gear

Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!

« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2012, 12:22:09 PM »

I spent about 2 hours calibrating the temperature sensors tonight and then went on an 80 mile drive.  Calibrating the sensors is an exercise in patience.  You basically remove the sensor from the engine and plug it back into the harness.  Boil some water in a pyrex and put the business end of the sensor in the boiling water.  With a digital thermometer or pyrometer, take the temp of the sensor in the water and hit the 'learn' button on the ECU software as you pass each point on the ADC map (9 degrees f at a time).  Once you get down around ambient, slowly add ice until you calibrate ~32 degrees with a nice ice water bath.  I did this for water and intake air.
:

WARNING: DO NOT USE A COMMERCIAL PYREX BOWL/DISH FOR THIS!

I went through the same exercise and bought a pyrex bowl specifically for this purpose. I'd calibrated the IAT2 sensor up to 100*C and turned the burner off and went in the house for a break. Not long after leaving the garage, I heard an explosion and ran back into the garage to find the pyrex bowl had exploded.

Commercial-grade Pyrex is NOT the same stuff we use in High School chemistry labs, it's MUCH lower quality. I suspect that because I was heating the bowl from below, the pyrex bowl wasn't being heated evenly (as it would in an oven) and when I turned the burner off, it cooled down at different rates and shattered.

For details of this misadventure, or just to see how its' done, see http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091&start=125.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:23:13 PM by Lokiel » Logged

Ti Aussie "SE" (cannot be called "MazdaSpeed" here, "speed/performance" badging encourages reckless driving apparently), DIY AutoTune MS3-Pro ECU, Borg-Warner EFR6258, NitroDann custom manifold+3"exhaust+CAI, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, GM D514A CNPs, 83.5mm coated CP pistons, K1 rods, Fab9 350HP intercooler,  ported Squaretop Intake Manifold, Skunk2 Throttle Body, ATi Super Damper, '95MSM SpeedHut Boost Gauge Mod, GREDDY Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat, Setrab Oil Cooler, BC Racing BR Series coilovers (8/6kg), 1.125" Racing Beat Tubular Sway Bar + Al Braces, 949racing SuperMiata end links, Carbing 3-pt shock tower brace, Nickel 6UL 15x8s, Toyo R1Rs 225/45/15, Wilwood Front BBK, SS Brake Lines, FM Frame Rails, Boss Frog "Frog Arms", MX5 Plus Twin Hoop Roll Bar, MiataRoadster long-angled SSK, Piano-Black Voodoo Knob&HandBrake, Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 gauge+sensor, Lotus Probax seats + lots of "goes faster" chrome bling (since chrome reflects light, less of the colour spectrum is absorbed, making the car lighter - "pseudo-science" Smiley ).
Build Thread: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »

I had read that about Pyrex so I heated mine in the microwave. Thanks for mentioning it specifically though Wink

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »

Things stalled a bit.  One concern I had not posted about was extremely high oil pressure.  I suspected a stuck pressure relief valve and a second sending unit yielded the same pressure (pegged at 90 unless idling and hot).  I had rolled the dice on an unknown oil pump and now I couldn't trust it... so... the engine came out again yesterday.  New OEM oil pump arrives tomorrow and I'll put it and the happy meal in at the same time.  Good gawd, the thing was running great though.  I never had it idling that well in the black car and it just felt great.  I'm really looking forward to getting things back together.

There's an outside shot that I'll be ready for a test-n-tune at the big track Saturday.  I could be ready if I really pushed it but I'm leaning towards just some intense street tuning before MRLS instead.  Saturday is the last opportunity for track trials so if it doesn't work, I'll try to avoid hitting the switch marked 'Boost' and just get through the weekend in Monterrey.  I can beat the world later in the summer - now is the time for patience and baby steps.  Like that will work for me...  rolleyes

yahtah
Fourth Gear

« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2012, 04:00:02 AM »

Hyde, it's getting close, but you may need to take a breath.  Shocked  Go have a Crab Feast and come back a day later. If it will help, you can tow here in advance and do some fine tuning at my house, about 35 mins away from MRLS. I even have a hoist and a garage.  Grin

#3056 Ti MSM, HDHCDDHT, AEM CAI, Corksport Catback, NT01's on 9" 6UL's, 600f+ 375r on stock Billies, MR shifter, various other bits, and the air horn.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »

Thanks!  Motor came out and disassembled Monday. Today the oil pump arrived. After work, I put it in, got the motor reassembled including the new clutch and back in the car. I think I'll snooze for a few hours before picking things up in the morning.

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »

Have you started to time yourself on pulling and reinstalling the motor?  You ought to be getting proficient at it by now.   Grin

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2012, 07:27:34 PM »

Estimates are 2.5 hours to have it out with transmission. 5 hours to R&R the pan/oil pump. 6 hours to install motor including fluid and connections (driveline and exhaust, etc.). Remember, I don't have AC or PS to deal with and I haven't put on the oil cooler yet.  This is not something I wanted practice this much. PITA

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2012, 07:15:55 AM »

Back in the saddle! (Cue Aerosmith)  afro  My gauge is still reading too high with the new pump but I have a lot more peace of mind knowing the new OEM pump is good.  I will go through the bother of putting a mechanical gauge on to relieve any residual concerns before MRLS.  One thing I AM sure of... The FM Supersized Happy Meal clutch is NOT slipping.   shockeyes  I had a Mustang GT in college with a Motorsports Racing Clutch that felt like this.  Your leg actually ached in stop-n-go traffic.  Fortunately this car won't be in that kind of traffic!

I still need to adjust the pedal and adjust the driver's tendency to forget about the clutch and kill the poor car coming off a stop but I'm sure that habit will get better soon.  After the motor's initial startup after being disassembled and turned upside down, there was no smoke or drama during the ~30 mile test drive.  When I got home I hooked up the boost control which I have promised myself I'm not going to use until I get things shaken down properly.  What are the chances I'll have that self control?   rolleyes

Prior to the drive I did, however, hook up the switch for the ABS.  I am happy to report it works fine!  I had some tools sitting in the passenger floor that I didn't want to go flying so I only stabbed it twice, but it did work.  There is nothing unusual hooked up beside the 3 power leads, the 2 (IIRC) grounding points and the sensors on the 4 corners.  Self-contained awesomeness!  If I want to get fancy later, I can hook up the 'trouble' wire to an idiot light in the cluster but otherwise, this has worked out well.  There has been some discussion about the proper procedure to bleed the ABS module and I didn't do anything beyond the normal bleeding.  The pedal on this car is harder than the black car.  With that said, I'm going to leave it off on the track during dry conditions.  When we get a wet day at the cart track, I will run it hard and see if I can induce a failure in 2nd gear at ~40mph instead of 6th gear at 130...   Tongue

I did this light-duty mod to allow the iphone laptimer to be mounted securely and not kill the iphone's battery by the end of the second session.  The second port could be for the GoPro if I get frisky later.

turborascal
18 Mazdas since 1974; 7 Miatas
Fifth Gear

7,000 rpm; Keep on Zoomin'

« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »

Congratulations on a near-complete track beast.  I wish that I had the funds (and time) to prep such a car for our local track.

I especially like the "garage door opener transmitter" mod just ahead of the shifter boot !  laugh

Seriously; I'm in awe of your mechanical and engineering prowess.

Zoom-Zoom
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:36:27 PM by turborascal » Logged

[NB] "Orange Crush": '05 LO MSM (#802/1428) (1 of 394 LOs) Matching hardtop | Hard Dog M2 Hard Core rollbar | Continental Extreme Contact DW 215/45-17s mounted on Enkei NT03+M wheels | BEGi Downpipe | BEGi Throttle Body Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | BEGi cold air intake | Enthuza midpipe and exhaust | BEGi ECU reflash | FM crossflow radiator | FM stage 2 fans | FM check valve | MiataRoadster short-shifter kit | Autometer Boost Gauge | Innovate MTX wideband | Scangauge II on a BlendMount | Rostra Electronic Cruise Control | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Motorcraft synthetic trans oil | Stebel/Nautilus air horn   SOLD!
[NC] "Daisy Dolphin": '11 MX-5 GT, Dolphin Gray PRHT Special Edition (1 of 750) SmartTop module | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Stebel/Nautilus air horn
'14 Mazda3 S Grand Touring HB | Soul Red | 2.5 Sky Activ | Tech Package
'15 Porsche Cayman GTS, Jet Black Metallic | PDK | PASM | PTV | Sport Chrono | Park Distance/backup camera | Burmester sound/XM | PCM/Nav
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: