Mazda-speed.com
November 23, 2020, 09:21:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presenting '90MSM!  (Read 179292 times)
turborascal
18 Mazdas since 1974; 7 Miatas
Fifth Gear

7,000 rpm; Keep on Zoomin'

« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »

I did one additional, painful, obnoxious thing to '90MSM this week.  I installed the passenger seat so I can give rides to squealing, screaming people begging in alternating gasps to go faster and slow down.  Notice the BFH (Blunt Force Helper) in the foreground?  I hate installing seats...

An obnoxious thing; but I wish I was close enough to be one of folks getting some seat time and begging to go faster!

Great progress Mr. Hyde.   Grin  Much racing success.   afro

[NB] "Orange Crush": '05 LO MSM (#802/1428) (1 of 394 LOs) Matching hardtop | Hard Dog M2 Hard Core rollbar | Continental Extreme Contact DW 215/45-17s mounted on Enkei NT03+M wheels | BEGi Downpipe | BEGi Throttle Body Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | BEGi cold air intake | Enthuza midpipe and exhaust | BEGi ECU reflash | FM crossflow radiator | FM stage 2 fans | FM check valve | MiataRoadster short-shifter kit | Autometer Boost Gauge | Innovate MTX wideband | Scangauge II on a BlendMount | Rostra Electronic Cruise Control | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Motorcraft synthetic trans oil | Stebel/Nautilus air horn   SOLD!
[NC] "Daisy Dolphin": '11 MX-5 GT, Dolphin Gray PRHT Special Edition (1 of 750) SmartTop module | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Stebel/Nautilus air horn
'14 Mazda3 S Grand Touring HB | Soul Red | 2.5 Sky Activ | Tech Package
'15 Porsche Cayman GTS, Jet Black Metallic | PDK | PASM | PTV | Sport Chrono | Park Distance/backup camera | Burmester sound/XM | PCM/Nav
corytomo
First Gear

« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »

Mr Hyde, congratulations on a very awesome build. I'm impressed with the speed you actually did the whole change.
I, too, did an 04 MSM swap into a 91 chassis.
Details (well, sorta) are here: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,13528.0.html

I also followed 95MSM's build with great interest, and he did help me out with a few problems.

I did a complete swap, as in, wiring harness for the entire car, ECU, dash. To me, it was easier, but in hindsight, I got stuck with the MSM limitations, but in a lighter chassis.
My car completes solely in SCCA Solo, and has done pretty well - 17 FTDs and 4 PAXs at the local region. I love my car, and it seems you love yours!

If you need any tips/tricks, I can also help - it's been fun trying to get the most out of this motor.

91 Miata SSM#48 - MSM drivetrain, AFCO 750/450, 275/35/15 Hoosier A6, 15x10 6UL
00 Miata CSP#48 - Ohlins 800/450, 275 Hoosier, 15x10s
04 Lexus RX330 - DD, tow car
99 BMW M3 STU#48 - KW V1, 17x9 Kosei K1, 255 BFG Rivals
76 Rabbit - tube frame, time trial car
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2012, 05:17:00 AM »

Thanks Cory - I've read your thread.  It's always nice when a sad MSM can be transplanted as a unit.  '90MSM did quite well today at ORP.  This video contains my personal best lap 2:03.5 as well as my passing a Lotus, GT-R, Shelby GT350 (new) and a Porsche.  I am going to need a new hub but that's on the consumables list when you drive that this...  help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvikfT_T7gA&feature=youtu.be

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #198 on: September 27, 2012, 09:10:56 AM »

Reviving this silly thread so I can get in the mood to make more improvements this winter!  laugh

I was having a terrible time with my Supersized Happy Meal and pedal engagement.  I wrestled (literally had to yank this poor transmission through the gears) through several events this summer and finally decided to put the stock clutch back in.  I'm not sure what it was but FM is trading me for a new pressure plate and disk.  The flywheel is fine and I'm getting better at pulling the transmission out.  If only that blasted downpipe was easier to work with!

I fixed my boost control problem.  Unfortunately, it wasn't the EBC.  http://www.turbosmartusa.com/product/dual-stage  This thing dialed right in and allowed me to set EXACTLY 15psi on the low setting and 18psi on the high setting.  The buttons on the wheel kick in the extra power and are now affectionately called the 'Porsche Buttons'.  The AFRs looks great and while the engine is a little louder that I wanted, I don't believe there is any detonation - most of the spikes in the log happen as I lift, not at WOT under high load.  I really wanted to do all this from the ECU but getting it dialed in would have eventually earned Mark and I a night in jail.  I set this up myself in about 10 minutes at 'ticket' speeds instead of 'jail/impound' speeds.   rolleyes

It's late but I'm back on track Sunday and I have a lot of make up postings to catch up on so stay tuned!

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2

Lokiel
Fifth Gear

Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!

« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2012, 12:52:32 PM »

:
The buttons on the wheel kick in the extra power and are now affectionately called the 'Porsche Buttons'.
:

That name needs more work!

I'm thinking of something like "Viper Boost" after the 1980's Sci-Fi series Battlestar Galactica. When Starbuck and Apollo wanted a quick boost of speed in their Vipers they'd "Hit the turbos", one of the 3 buttons on the joystick.

I'm not sure how turbos work in space; I put it in the same category as space explosions though which should actually be silent - it's just "cooler" to hear the explosions.

Ti Aussie "SE" (cannot be called "MazdaSpeed" here, "speed/performance" badging encourages reckless driving apparently), DIY AutoTune MS3-Pro ECU, Borg-Warner EFR6258, NitroDann custom manifold+3"exhaust+CAI, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, GM D514A CNPs, 83.5mm coated CP pistons, K1 rods, Fab9 350HP intercooler,  ported Squaretop Intake Manifold, Skunk2 Throttle Body, ATi Super Damper, '95MSM SpeedHut Boost Gauge Mod, GREDDY Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat, Setrab Oil Cooler, BC Racing BR Series coilovers (8/6kg), 1.125" Racing Beat Tubular Sway Bar + Al Braces, 949racing SuperMiata end links, Carbing 3-pt shock tower brace, Nickel 6UL 15x8s, Toyo R1Rs 225/45/15, Wilwood Front BBK, SS Brake Lines, FM Frame Rails, Boss Frog "Frog Arms", MX5 Plus Twin Hoop Roll Bar, MiataRoadster long-angled SSK, Piano-Black Voodoo Knob&HandBrake, Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 gauge+sensor, Lotus Probax seats + lots of "goes faster" chrome bling (since chrome reflects light, less of the colour spectrum is absorbed, making the car lighter - "pseudo-science" Smiley ).
Build Thread: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091
scotty b
They called you exotic. Which is people talk for awesome!
Fifth Gear

Just another lost weekend, need another vacation.

« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »

I'm not sure how turbos work in space; I put it in the same category as space explosions though which should actually be silent - it's just "cooler" to hear the explosions.

Sound is a wave, and explosions are big waves, so when the rapidly expanding cloud of gas reached you you would probably hear it if you didn't die (spaceships don't take a whole lot of pressure very well I'm guessing).

For a good, realistic space movie, though, check out Outland.

'04 TiG, BEGI Re-flash; 450 cc injectors; FM IC; FM turbo back exhaust; BEGI intake; FM Oil cooler, Walbro 255HP, FM cross flow and Spal fans; GFB-BOV; MBC; Moroso air/oil separator; Nickel 6UL 15x8 with 225/45/15 BFG Rival S; V-Maxx Xxtreme; SSK; Wilwood 6 piston front, 4 piston rear brakes;  HDHCDD; Sparco Sprint V seats; Simpson 6-pt harness system; A-pillar dual-pod with boost and oil temp gauges, #3838

2006 C230 Sport, 2.5L V6, 6spd MT.  My favorite daily driver ever (so far).

Used to own:  '04 TiG, Big Enchilada, FM brake upgrade, Autometer boost gauge, Motegi Traklites, #2082.

My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »

'Porsche Button' is used to chase down the namesake and pass them. The Battlestar reference is really cool but I don't think 18 PSI on a 1.8 is going to scare a Viper in a straight line Sad

Lokiel
Fifth Gear

« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »

"Viper" was the name of the Colonial fighters which is what I  meant by "Viper Boost" - I'm a Sci-Fi nerd from way back, still remember seeing Star Wars at the drive in as a kid.

The MSM would be great at the drive in on a summer night, pity they don't exist any more.

Ti Aussie "SE" (cannot be called "MazdaSpeed" here, "speed/performance" badging encourages reckless driving apparently), DIY AutoTune MS3-Pro ECU, Borg-Warner EFR6258, NitroDann custom manifold+3"exhaust+CAI, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, GM D514A CNPs, 83.5mm coated CP pistons, K1 rods, Fab9 350HP intercooler,  ported Squaretop Intake Manifold, Skunk2 Throttle Body, ATi Super Damper, '95MSM SpeedHut Boost Gauge Mod, GREDDY Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat, Setrab Oil Cooler, BC Racing BR Series coilovers (8/6kg), 1.125" Racing Beat Tubular Sway Bar + Al Braces, 949racing SuperMiata end links, Carbing 3-pt shock tower brace, Nickel 6UL 15x8s, Toyo R1Rs 225/45/15, Wilwood Front BBK, SS Brake Lines, FM Frame Rails, Boss Frog "Frog Arms", MX5 Plus Twin Hoop Roll Bar, MiataRoadster long-angled SSK, Piano-Black Voodoo Knob&HandBrake, Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 gauge+sensor, Lotus Probax seats + lots of "goes faster" chrome bling (since chrome reflects light, less of the colour spectrum is absorbed, making the car lighter - "pseudo-science" Smiley ).
bigx5murf
Fifth Gear

« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »

Many of the local miata enthusiasts are air force mechanics, and their sector is named "viper"

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »

Oh, I get the sci-fi and military references. Unfortunately, at a race track, 'Viper' is immediately related to the Supercar.  I will consider the change in naming convention though. Wink

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »

Well, today marked the beginning of the next chapter.  The first step was very regrettable - I placed the MSM in the driveway under the cover and took the insurance off for the winter.  I need the garage space but parking it outside means it will constantly be filthy and I can't drive it under those conditions.  There are rules about such things...   police

The last track weekend of the season proved that full power is going to require more cooling.  The setup this past season was a completely unducted FM combo which worked fine at 8-10psi but at 15 to 18 psi it couldn't handle it.  We're going under the knife!

Emergency ducting kept me on track for the afternoon sessions although the boost was turned down a bit:

I don't know why the Porsche guys spend so much money on Hoosiers when they just end up coiled around my suspension and body components!

Hydra may have its 'Nemesis' but the PNW track guys have found their Nemesis!!  The heart of the Porsche Buttons!   drivingss

We're going to add a little grip to go with the zoom zoom!

List of winter projects so far:

1.  Air dam and splitter
2.  Full and complete ducting of the heat exchangers
3.  Reclock the turbo and clean up the charge pipes
4.  Gut the barn door headlights and put headlights in the turn signal slots
5.  Install mini scoop in OEM hood
6.  Clean up coolant reroute with some hard pipe
7.  Rethink fuel system and add AN fitting with braided lines
8.  Louvers and hood pins to complete OEM hood re-do
9.  Configure VICS solenoid to run off high current output vacated by failed EBC
10.  ATI or Supermiata crank damper
11.  Rear wing to balance out the front

In addition to the hardware, I'm going to get back to the dyno.  The ignition map that yielded 247whp in the black car 4 years ago when I had no idea how things worked looks a little scary to me now.  I need to get this fixed or my exhaust valves won't last the season at full power.  One of the local guys found a new tuner in Oregon that did a fantastic job on his FMII so I'm going to let him try the Adaptronic.  I've been doing some math on the turbo and I think I can get to 290whp on the IHI with the 15g wheel at 18psi.  300 would be possible but not advised for track duty.   angel1

I had originally thought about pulling the NA6 engine harness completely out but on second thought, I decided I may leave it in place.  Doing so give me lots of options down the road if I want to get serious about learning to drive and racing the chassis as a spec.  Stay tuned for this winter's installments of '90MSM digest!   afro afro

Lokiel
Fifth Gear

« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2012, 08:13:16 AM »

I thought our tiny turbos ran out of puff at 15psi, going beyond that yielded very little?

What about doing a BNR upgrade over winter?

turborascal
18 Mazdas since 1974; 7 Miatas
Fifth Gear

7,000 rpm; Keep on Zoomin'

« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »

Storing the MSM for the winter IS sad.   Cry
Fortunately, central Texas weather allows me to exercise mine year-round.

Your winter projects should yield a faster and more stable car.
I'm jealous!

[NB] "Orange Crush": '05 LO MSM (#802/1428) (1 of 394 LOs) Matching hardtop | Hard Dog M2 Hard Core rollbar | Continental Extreme Contact DW 215/45-17s mounted on Enkei NT03+M wheels | BEGi Downpipe | BEGi Throttle Body Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | BEGi cold air intake | Enthuza midpipe and exhaust | BEGi ECU reflash | FM crossflow radiator | FM stage 2 fans | FM check valve | MiataRoadster short-shifter kit | Autometer Boost Gauge | Innovate MTX wideband | Scangauge II on a BlendMount | Rostra Electronic Cruise Control | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Motorcraft synthetic trans oil | Stebel/Nautilus air horn   SOLD!
[NC] "Daisy Dolphin": '11 MX-5 GT, Dolphin Gray PRHT Special Edition (1 of 750) SmartTop module | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Stebel/Nautilus air horn
'14 Mazda3 S Grand Touring HB | Soul Red | 2.5 Sky Activ | Tech Package
'15 Porsche Cayman GTS, Jet Black Metallic | PDK | PASM | PTV | Sport Chrono | Park Distance/backup camera | Burmester sound/XM | PCM/Nav
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2012, 05:22:13 PM »

I thought our tiny turbos ran out of puff at 15psi, going beyond that yielded very little?

What about doing a BNR upgrade over winter?

This one has the 15g Mitsubishi wheel upgrade from turbochargers.com. There is a lot of math involved and I'm struggling through it Tongue.

I have a spare turbo and I like the BNR but looking at these compressor maps compared to the new Borg Warner makes my checking account cry.

Lokiel
Fifth Gear

« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:43 PM »

:
I have a spare turbo and I like the BNR but looking at these compressor maps compared to the new Borg Warner makes my checking account cry.

Tell me about it!

I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to upgrade my turbo. A FM or BEGi solution is the easy route but I knew that if I bought a GT2560R I'd always regret not getting the EFR6258 instead.

S&H to Australia via FedEx cost US$372.25, then the Australian tax office whacked on A$270 import duty - believe it or not, this is STILL about A$200 cheaper than what I could buy it for locally here IF I could even get one. Thankfully the Aussie dollar is worth more than the US$ (has been for quite a while now), otherwise I never would have bought it. These additional costs, plus accumulating all the required fittings, have put a one month delay in my installation schedule Sad
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:12:38 PM by Lokiel » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: