Mazda-speed.com
November 24, 2020, 04:10:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presenting '90MSM!  (Read 179361 times)
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2013, 08:15:15 AM »

I've been back in the garage this week and it feels good.  afro Sometimes you just need to pull on the winter coveralls, put on a good radio station and... start.  The first part of this winter's project is the splitter/air dam.

I spent a long time researching what others have done and looking at the front of my hybrid to see how things should work.  The splitter needs to go from the midpoint of the front wheels, hugging the subframe, and ending in front of the airdam while maintaining approximate level with the ground.  The air dam goes from wheel to wheel perpendicular to the ground at the front and flaring out to cover as much of the front wheels as practical.  The ducting needs to seal the mouth of the air dam to the heat exchangers completely forcing ALL air that comes into the nose through the heat exchangers.

So we have 3 components:  Ducting, Splitter and Air Dam.  These all need to work together and fit together but must remain separate so various parts can be removed without taking the whole thing down.  In the event of an... excursion... off the track, various bits need to be removable and replaceable without destroying any of the heat exchangers.

Early on, I decided the basic duct work needed to become part of the heat exchangers.  The splitter and air dam would need to be removable without disturbing the intricate tape work.  The ducting began.

I took some aluminum flashing and borrowed '95MSMs sheet metal brake to fold some angles in it so it would slip over the top of the radiator, behind and around the upper support and attach to the bumper support.  This would not be possible with an OEM hood latch but I'm putting latches in.  This sheet essentially takes care of the top of the ducting.

Below is the view from underneath.  Notice how following the bumper support causes it to bow out thereby increasing the volume?

I have the FM oil cooler mounted to the steering rack.  Here is an early mockup of a box supplying air through a duct-box:

I used the same thin gauge aluminum to seal up to the top corners and cut around the intercooler inlet/outlet.

(looking up from the outside of the ducting box)

The splitter in basic position (rough cut and oversized for now).  The sides of the duct are attached to the heat exchangers and not to the splitter.

The airdam is in basic place.  I will trim it at the top after everything else is set.  I used some aluminum bar formed to the backside of the bumper - drilled and tapped and held in place by flush screws.  That gave structure for me to drill/tap 1/4-20 stainless button heads (hex) that attaches the air dam to the nose.

It also attached to aluminum angle tabs mounted to the splitter.  This gives good strength but also allows me to take the whole thing off in just a few minutes.  Here is the opening cut - ~22" wide by 9.5" tall:

The shiny floor slightly bowing in the picture has a gap between it and the splitter to allow for some flex.  You generally want the opening to be 1/3 of the area of the heat exchanger.  The math gets sticky here, but there is a 1" gap on the floor to serve the oil cooler and brake ducts that around mounted to the side of that box.  2" on top of that, is a fin that serves the intercooler which is sealed on 3 sides to the radiator.  The remaining ~6+ inches serves the radiator up into the plenum formed by the top flashing.

Here is a better view of the fins.  They are crafted from round duct so the natural curve rounds up.  The lower one is sealed to the bottom of the intercooler and the upper one is sealed to the top of the intercooler essentially separating the 3 heat exchangers (plus brake ducts) in the same space.

There is a bit more to do obviously, but the goal is to be able to remove the entire nose from the ducting while only peeling/cutting one small section of tape.  The splitter should drop out form under the whole thing by unbolting the lower part of the air dam and loosening the allthread (soon to be aluminum) and pair of m6 x 1.25 bolts tapped into the subframe at the rear.

I'm sure I missed some details but this is the basic design.  Once everything is perfectly fit and trimmed, I'm going to make a 2nd air dam and splitter to keep in the truck.  Everything will be cut, shaped and drilled ahead of time so a crunched or torn part can be quickly replaced.  Back to work tomorrow night!   afro

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #226 on: January 30, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »

Looking good.   afro  This project sure does look easier when you aren't concerned about hacking up the front bumper. 

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
turborascal
18 Mazdas since 1974; 7 Miatas
Fifth Gear

7,000 rpm; Keep on Zoomin'

« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2013, 02:31:32 PM »

Once again I'm in awe of your engineering and fabrication skills. 
Looks great thus far ... the final result should be stellar.
Track time will lead to some tweaking until it's perfect for your use.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.   thumup

[NB] "Orange Crush": '05 LO MSM (#802/1428) (1 of 394 LOs) Matching hardtop | Hard Dog M2 Hard Core rollbar | Continental Extreme Contact DW 215/45-17s mounted on Enkei NT03+M wheels | BEGi Downpipe | BEGi Throttle Body Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | BEGi cold air intake | Enthuza midpipe and exhaust | BEGi ECU reflash | FM crossflow radiator | FM stage 2 fans | FM check valve | MiataRoadster short-shifter kit | Autometer Boost Gauge | Innovate MTX wideband | Scangauge II on a BlendMount | Rostra Electronic Cruise Control | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Motorcraft synthetic trans oil | Stebel/Nautilus air horn   SOLD!
[NC] "Daisy Dolphin": '11 MX-5 GT, Dolphin Gray PRHT Special Edition (1 of 750) SmartTop module | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Stebel/Nautilus air horn
'14 Mazda3 S Grand Touring HB | Soul Red | 2.5 Sky Activ | Tech Package
'15 Porsche Cayman GTS, Jet Black Metallic | PDK | PASM | PTV | Sport Chrono | Park Distance/backup camera | Burmester sound/XM | PCM/Nav
Lokiel
Fifth Gear

Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!

« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2013, 11:11:26 PM »

- lovin' this build, makes me want to build a dedicated track car too Sad

I assume that you'll be adding washers to the bolts holding the front air dam to prevent them pulling through the air dam since those heads don't look to be substantial enough?

Another alternative, not as aesthetic but much more secure, would be to to shape a strip of aluminium to the front bumper and bolt through that to distribute the air dam's mount pressure over a wider area (effective a "front" backplate). You could paint it black or red if it looks too "daggy".

Ti Aussie "SE" (cannot be called "MazdaSpeed" here, "speed/performance" badging encourages reckless driving apparently), DIY AutoTune MS3-Pro ECU, Borg-Warner EFR6258, NitroDann custom manifold+3"exhaust+CAI, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, GM D514A CNPs, 83.5mm coated CP pistons, K1 rods, Fab9 350HP intercooler,  ported Squaretop Intake Manifold, Skunk2 Throttle Body, ATi Super Damper, '95MSM SpeedHut Boost Gauge Mod, GREDDY Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat, Setrab Oil Cooler, BC Racing BR Series coilovers (8/6kg), 1.125" Racing Beat Tubular Sway Bar + Al Braces, 949racing SuperMiata end links, Carbing 3-pt shock tower brace, Nickel 6UL 15x8s, Toyo R1Rs 225/45/15, Wilwood Front BBK, SS Brake Lines, FM Frame Rails, Boss Frog "Frog Arms", MX5 Plus Twin Hoop Roll Bar, MiataRoadster long-angled SSK, Piano-Black Voodoo Knob&HandBrake, Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 gauge+sensor, Lotus Probax seats + lots of "goes faster" chrome bling (since chrome reflects light, less of the colour spectrum is absorbed, making the car lighter - "pseudo-science" Smiley ).
Build Thread: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »

The cap screws have pretty good heads on them and the load against them will shear down so they might be OK.  The key for me is for them to stay where they are a ~140mph but break away easily on contact with something more solid than the air she breathes...  Roll Eyes

I'm thrilled with the project - so I don't have to make compromises but also so I don't need to beat the crap out of the poor MSM anymore.  It must have been terrified every time it saw me loading fuel and tires into the trailer and felt the hitch go on.  '90MSM actually seems to smile when I'm loading.  Much better feeling all around!   afro

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2013, 09:54:42 AM »

I finished up a bit with the front tonight and got sidetracked on the intake.  After confirming my ability to securely fasten the blow off valve nipple (and by extension, the bung for the ITA), I took the rest of the FM intake out of the loop.  This will have no diameter transitions like the OEM intake must have, no bends sharper than 90* and the sum of the entire bends from the intercooler to the throttle body are around 150* which is around 300* less than what I cobbled together last year.

The headlights have been gutted and I will be putting in hella fog lights in the turn signal lenses for the one night event I do.  My days of midnight street tuning are behind me since the air dam, splitter, wing and large vinyl car numbers will make it a bit too interesting to LEO to drive on the street in any spirited way.  All good things must pass but I am proud to have not ended up in jail while tuning the boost control all those nights...  buck2

Some kid was nice enough to figure out how to make a cheap bead roller and google was nice enough to help me locate it.

http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/350500-Vise-grip-tube-bead-roller-tool-for-only-7-83

Please excuse the welds, I'm out of shielding gas...

Test piece:

dvdreith
Fifth Gear

« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »

That is pretty slick!!!

Full Built motor: take 2!
Hydra 2.6, 550cc injectors, FM intake, liquid to air intercooler
Block:
.040" over
Acl race bearings.....maybe this time, oem thrusts will be used!
84mm Fm weisco pistons
Carrillo super A beam rods
ARP fasteners
Ati damper
Arp studs
Head:
Cometic .040" head gasket
S.S. 1mm oversized valves
Titanium springs & retainers
Port, polish, unshroud valves
Custom powdercoated valve cover

Shoes:
2nd gen 949racing 6ul's in nickel
wrapped in Nitto NT01's
that sit under BC coilovers
Mobius
First Gear

« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2013, 09:02:19 AM »

You will have the mighty forearms of popeye when the intake tubing is done!
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »

You will have the mighty forearms of popeye when the intake tubing is done!

No kidding!  I may borrow one of the HF rollers to do most of the work.  They take a lot of additional bracing to keep them from wandering which is why I returned the first one but it will suck doing this by hand.   angry9

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2013, 09:15:07 AM »

A little progress tonight.  Here's the rough cut:

Got the piping to line up with the Jpipe.  Ordered 1.5" mandrel piece and will have a shop fabricate the transition from 1.5 to 2.5.  It's a victory that the plumbing lines up.

Took the 5/16" all-thread that weighed a ton and replaced it with aluminum rod I threaded.  Literally saved 2 pounds just from that steel.   shockeyes

M8 1.25 to keep in the spirit of things.  I can always find a 14mm in the toolbox.  1/2" is harder...

I'm starting to work on the hood.  Had to make sure the throttle body pipe fits before I start cutting.

Oh yeah - one last thing.  Robbed a bit of the tax return to make sure the back doesn't race the front with this aero in place.  I'm going with the NASCAR Car of Tomorrow (COT) wing as discussed in the 'New Wing to Test' thread on MT.  I would link, but the site is down.  Stay tuned for more details on that little gem!   afro

BigDmiata
Third Gear

Boost is GOOD!

« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

Are you going with the FM (Keith) designed mount?  They're doing a group buy and I don't see you on the list. They only need one more person to make the run happen Smiley

2005 Black Mica MSM #1158 Sold
1993 Miata - Project 256k
VolCrew
Fifth Gear

« Reply #236 on: February 13, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »

I saw a few COT wings on ebay, too.

2004 Ti MSM GT  - my Red Barchetta
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #237 on: February 13, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »

Hyde-your link may answer this question, but why the COT wing over the Supermiata wing from 949?  Cost?

How far is your splitter going to stick out in front of the front air dam and how did you come up with this distance?  WAG?   Cheesy

Are you going to be able to adjust the distance it sticks out to assist with balance or are you going to adjust the wing?

Looking good.   afro

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »

Here's the discussion on the COT wing:  http://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/new-wing-test-62253/

Here are images of Keith's car and an NB version.  I'm on the GB so they must not have put my name on yet.  Keith said if they got close, FM would probably buy the remaining pieces and retail them.

The splitter sicks out just shy of 3".  I was aiming for closer to 4" but the jigsaw blade wandered under the race I set so the field engineering changed.   Tongue  It will be fixed in the same position (until a new one is made).  The general process is to set the front where it is and adjust the wing.

The Supermiata wing is a 3D wing and the cool kids have been evolving to 2D wings over the last 2 years.  Crusher has been using a 2D wing for 2 seasons with great results.  The COT wings were around $3,000 new as a spec piece for the NASCAR teams so less than 1/10th of that is a deal.  There is some discussion around the shape of the airfoil since these were engineered to run at ~200mph which is 4x the force as 100mph.  The consensus is it still works fine in the miata application and one fast track guy reported dropping over a second per lap vs. the APR (Supermiata) wing.

Millsj might consider this for his car.  Keith installed rivnuts in the gutter of his car so the wing can be removed in a few minutes with no visible effect.  If you do this, you are going to also want to fashion a removable splitter or you are going to meet Mr. Understeer at every turn.   Tongue

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #239 on: February 13, 2013, 08:14:01 PM »

I may have to give this some consideration in the next 16 days.  My only hesitation is having to drill 10 holes in the gutter.  I know it isn't visible, but it just hurts to think about drilling holes in that location.   Shocked 

The wing would have to be easily removable or I would meet Mr. Ricer at every light in town.   Grin

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: