Mazda-speed.com
November 23, 2020, 09:39:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presenting '90MSM!  (Read 179302 times)
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #315 on: May 02, 2013, 12:22:43 AM »

There were dozens of people at this event more knowledgeable than me about the workings of a 6 speed.  I asked the smartest miata guy I know about the cover and he said there wasn't anything serviceable under there.  He was wrong and out of professional courtesy, he will remain anonymous.   afro

It looks like Bob's marriage may survive the 'unauthorized' $1,700 transmission.  Kim is cracking jokes about it on Facebook which generally doesn't happen when you have retained the divorce attorney.   buck2  Funny fact - she found out about it when their bank called her because the transaction flagged a fraud alert.  So much for Bob making it home and breaking it to her gently...   rolleyes

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
scotty b
They called you exotic. Which is people talk for awesome!
Fifth Gear

Just another lost weekend, need another vacation.

« Reply #316 on: May 02, 2013, 01:40:03 AM »

The good news is their identities didn't get stolen.  The bad news is they are liable for $1700.

I asked the smartest miata guy I know about the cover and he said there wasn't anything serviceable under there.  He was wrong and out of professional courtesy, he will remain anonymous.   afro

Can we play 20 questions?  Is it somebody we know (i.e. on this forum)?

'04 TiG, BEGI Re-flash; 450 cc injectors; FM IC; FM turbo back exhaust; BEGI intake; FM Oil cooler, Walbro 255HP, FM cross flow and Spal fans; GFB-BOV; MBC; Moroso air/oil separator; Nickel 6UL 15x8 with 225/45/15 BFG Rival S; V-Maxx Xxtreme; SSK; Wilwood 6 piston front, 4 piston rear brakes;  HDHCDD; Sparco Sprint V seats; Simpson 6-pt harness system; A-pillar dual-pod with boost and oil temp gauges, #3838

2006 C230 Sport, 2.5L V6, 6spd MT.  My favorite daily driver ever (so far).

Used to own:  '04 TiG, Big Enchilada, FM brake upgrade, Autometer boost gauge, Motegi Traklites, #2082.

My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #317 on: May 02, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »

He's a smart guy who knows a ton about Miatas and no, he isn't a member here (or is rarely active if he is).  He felt bad that I pulled the tranny when I probably could have fixed it in the car.  We all make mistakes...  afro

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #318 on: May 02, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »

Wow your car gets sexier with every update! The only thing I wish you would give us is some high resolution shots so I can use as a desktop background Smiley

I don't think the license allows me to share the full res images but if you read otherwise, let me know which one would be of interest.   thumup

http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web130427/606brian/index.html

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #319 on: August 17, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »

I finally got around to linearizing the temperature gauge to see if the FM crossflow would be good enough without the fans but with this ducting I posted about 1/30/13 a few pages back.

Because the gauge cluster is from an NA, the process was a little different than the MSM/NB process we have in the FAQ section.  I ended up with a gauge that reports this:

I verified it with the ECU through about 210* and the resolution is perfect.  I went to the track yesterday where the ambient ended up in the mid 80s despite a forecast for MUCH cooler.  Sitting on grid with the fan on, it would sit dead center/ 12 noon at 210*.  As soon as I started moving, it came down.  By Turn 3 I was sitting between 195* and 200* and I couldn't get it to go up no matter how hard I pushed it.  The only fan I have is a single OEM/NA fan with no shroud.  WHP should be in the 260 to 270 range.  This is is more empirical proof that the FM radiator is excellent and ducting is the name of the game on the track!   afro

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #320 on: August 18, 2013, 12:42:08 AM »

Impressive numbers!!  Looks like more evidence that points toward future mods for me.

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #321 on: August 18, 2013, 02:20:30 AM »

Good to see you finally have that beast under control... temp-wise at least.

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #322 on: August 18, 2013, 06:59:04 AM »

I'm very glad to have 'cooling' completely off the list of things to address.  I re-did my splitter for Friday too with 1/2" ply (15/32) instead of 5/16".  I'm still not happy with the level.  The FM oil cooler is in the way to move the back of it any higher and I don't want to put the front any lower.  The front is just about perfect as it make a slight contact at two points of the local track.

I've decided I want a slight downward rake at rest.  Every picture I've seen of my car at speed shows the rear squatting down under acceleration and the force of the wing but the front is lifting higher than at rest.  With the new splitter, the car was a little more stable above 120 (135  shockeyes ) and I got it balanced with tire pressure and shock settings but it still doesn't stick like it should. I may be getting greedy.  I have entire sequences over 1g with several spikes over 1.2g.  With the wing working like it should, I should be over 1.4 in every normal corner.

This lap is 3 seconds off my best time when the air was cool and dense in April.  ~85 ambient yesterday.  The green is .9 to 1.0, yellow 1.0 to 1.2 and red is over 1.2 lateral g.  Google Earth needs to send the bird back over.  The track has a paved paddock and driveway now.   laugh

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #323 on: August 18, 2013, 01:22:50 PM »

Very cool.  I noticed that most of your red g's are in the slower corners.  Do you think that if your brain would stop yelling at you to slow down, more grip cold be found in the faster corners?  Cheesy  I would think the faster you go, the more downforce you will generate and the more grip you would have.  I know my sense of survival kicks in at the faster corners and there is more speed to be had with the wing. 

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #324 on: August 19, 2013, 02:39:35 AM »

EXACTLY what is happening here.   Tongue

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #325 on: September 20, 2013, 07:34:31 AM »

I have been working through different things this year and haven't got the car sorted exactly as I want it quite yet, but I'm hopeful some resolution is near.  I've been limping along all season on scrubs I've cobbled together from friends and acquaintances.  I had a good bonus at work and finally felt like I could pull the trigger on some 9" wheels and fresh NT-01s I went out on last week.  It may be placebo but I do feel like they turned in a bit better.  I also made some adjustments on the splitter so that could have an effect too.  My used brake pads (reported to be XP12s) tried to kill me once but fortunately the turn goes deep so the only thing harmed was my flyer lap.  Even overcooking that turn, it was the fastest lap of the day for me.   Roll Eyes

I have fresh pads on the way and will be considering a BBK over the winter.  The track I frequent most often has the 2nd fastest straight brake downhill into a 120* hairpin that is the slowest point of the track.  This is ~20 seconds after the 3rd fastest point braking into the sharpest ~150* hairpin on the track.  I need to be able to stand on them with confidence and I don't think the OEM brakes can handle it regardless of the pads.

The last two times out, I started to have misfires after the first few sessions.  It seems like spark blowing out despite being gapped to .020.  I took '95MSM's lead and put on some Toyota COPs.  This is the quick and dirty install to see if the coils were OK running wasted spark.

I don't have enough working outputs on my poor 420 Adaptronic to run sequential so I have a new 440 to install when I have more time.  I'll do the basic clean up of the wires as they sit for wasted spark and then do a permanent harness clean up when I put in the 440 and go sequential.  Running the two extra wires shouldn't be a problem since I have an unused O2 sensor wire and an unused EGR next to the ignition wires.  The 440 plugs directly into the OEM/MSM engine harness so the only trick will be configuring it to utilize the wires already there.

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #326 on: April 14, 2014, 10:31:37 AM »

It's been a while since this was updated.  I'll try to backdate some of the small items done over the winter but in the meantime, I got a chance to go out for the first day this year.  The car behaved very well until my suspect catch can failed to breathe all the boost I was pushing and ejected the dipstick at ~133mph.  That made a very exciting smoke show!   shockeyes  This video was from earlier in the day.  Harry's Laptimer now overlays entire sessions onto external video (gopro, etc.) which is an extremely cool tool!

http://youtu.be/bmKwuKJ0drc

turborascal
18 Mazdas since 1974; 7 Miatas
Fifth Gear

7,000 rpm; Keep on Zoomin'

« Reply #327 on: April 14, 2014, 02:04:58 PM »

Thanks for sharing Brian.

The car sounds great and your smooth driving is always a treat to watch.

It was great fun watching you reel the German iron in and then blow by.    drivingss

[NB] "Orange Crush": '05 LO MSM (#802/1428) (1 of 394 LOs) Matching hardtop | Hard Dog M2 Hard Core rollbar | Continental Extreme Contact DW 215/45-17s mounted on Enkei NT03+M wheels | BEGi Downpipe | BEGi Throttle Body Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | BEGi cold air intake | Enthuza midpipe and exhaust | BEGi ECU reflash | FM crossflow radiator | FM stage 2 fans | FM check valve | MiataRoadster short-shifter kit | Autometer Boost Gauge | Innovate MTX wideband | Scangauge II on a BlendMount | Rostra Electronic Cruise Control | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Motorcraft synthetic trans oil | Stebel/Nautilus air horn   SOLD!
[NC] "Daisy Dolphin": '11 MX-5 GT, Dolphin Gray PRHT Special Edition (1 of 750) SmartTop module | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Stebel/Nautilus air horn
'14 Mazda3 S Grand Touring HB | Soul Red | 2.5 Sky Activ | Tech Package
'15 Porsche Cayman GTS, Jet Black Metallic | PDK | PASM | PTV | Sport Chrono | Park Distance/backup camera | Burmester sound/XM | PCM/Nav
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #328 on: April 14, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »

This was a lapping day with Hooked on Driving which I haven't run with before.  I bought a package over the winter because their dates on the calendar worked best for my schedule.  Their numbers are backwards - the advanced group with everyone else I have run with is 'A' but is 'D' with them.  They still allow open passing which is nice but John and I were running 6-10 seconds faster than the other cars so we didn't feel comfortable pushing the other drivers without a point-by.  On a positive note, the D group was very small.

'90MSM got a new head over the winter to solve some bad leak down numbers on #1.  Now the compression numbers are within 5psi across the board.   afro  Other updates include a large idiot light hooked to pressure switches on the oil and water systems.  In addition to the temp and pressure gauges, I know that this bright orange light going off at WOT down the straight means *panic* and lift.  Which system lit the light is less important than knowing there is a critical problem in the precious second or two before you hear strange sounds from the motor or notice gauges pegged or flat.

I also installed a Kirkey seat which is lighter than the Corbeau, gives me a better driving position and squeezes the love handles much better.  I ran all day Friday without the aid of performance enhancing drugs (Dramamine).  Last year's splitter and air dam were modified to provide a better angle which dramatically improved stability and downforce.  This is a butt dyno impression but I did run consistent laps in the range of my previous personal best and cut over 1/2 second off that time from last year.

I also took the FM oil cooler out and am in the process of fixing up a larger cooler.  The sandwich plate is in with the oil pressure (idiot light) and temperature senders and I have a loop of 10an line in place of the new cooler that had a leak.  Without the cooler, I was seeing 240* oil at 60* ambient so those temps should drop a bunch when the cooler goes in.  The FM cooler worked great but the location on the steering rack complicated ducting and the angle of the splitter.  This new design should work better for my application.  I'll update with pics in the next few days.

The truck also got a class C hitch/receiver and air bags to keep things level when loaded.  The driver got a very nice Simpson driving suit (on sale!) and some new gloves and shoes so the winter budget was well spent, even if it didn't all end up as go-fast bits on '90MSM!

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #329 on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »

Any details on the water pressure light?  I have thought about installing another LED in the gauge cluster for water pressure. 

Is the splitter set level to the ground when the car is not moving or angled slightly down?  My thought is the wing would have more downforce than the front and push the rear downward at speed.  I have mine set as level as I can, but I also have the large dive planes.  Car felt very planted with this arrangement.

I'll have to check on the in-car when I have a few minutes.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: