Mazda-speed.com
November 23, 2020, 09:41:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presenting '90MSM!  (Read 179304 times)
Lokiel
Fifth Gear

Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!

« Reply #345 on: June 10, 2014, 02:30:27 AM »

Have you had a chance to evaluate the location of the oil cooler and how the removal of the radiator fan impacts your water temps?

I assume that coming into the pits your water temperature must go sky high or does your other fan keep that to a tolerable level?
I also assume that with suitable ducting, the loss of the fan when on the track is not an issue but is your oil getting cooled enough sited behind the radiator?

We're really limited to where we can actually mount an effective oil cooler and yours is the only one I've seen that mounts it behind the radiator (more common solutions are in front of the radiator, intercooler, the "not-so great" angled FM compromise on the steering rack, or behind a foglight - if you have one) so I'm interested in your experience with this setup.

Ti Aussie "SE" (cannot be called "MazdaSpeed" here, "speed/performance" badging encourages reckless driving apparently), DIY AutoTune MS3-Pro ECU, Borg-Warner EFR6258, NitroDann custom manifold+3"exhaust+CAI, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, GM D514A CNPs, 83.5mm coated CP pistons, K1 rods, Fab9 350HP intercooler,  ported Squaretop Intake Manifold, Skunk2 Throttle Body, ATi Super Damper, '95MSM SpeedHut Boost Gauge Mod, GREDDY Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat, Setrab Oil Cooler, BC Racing BR Series coilovers (8/6kg), 1.125" Racing Beat Tubular Sway Bar + Al Braces, 949racing SuperMiata end links, Carbing 3-pt shock tower brace, Nickel 6UL 15x8s, Toyo R1Rs 225/45/15, Wilwood Front BBK, SS Brake Lines, FM Frame Rails, Boss Frog "Frog Arms", MX5 Plus Twin Hoop Roll Bar, MiataRoadster long-angled SSK, Piano-Black Voodoo Knob&HandBrake, Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 gauge+sensor, Lotus Probax seats + lots of "goes faster" chrome bling (since chrome reflects light, less of the colour spectrum is absorbed, making the car lighter - "pseudo-science" Smiley ).
Build Thread: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #346 on: June 10, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »

My buddy Bob killed his 4th 6 speed two weeks ago which blew his budget for the NASA weekend. 

Has Bob considered trying to get an adapter plate made and hooking up some other transmission like the unit FM is using for the LS swap?

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #347 on: June 11, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »

The 3.9s are in. 

I'm pretty happy with the oil cooler for now - I haven't been out above 80* ambient yet so I'll reserve the full endorsement.  Previously with the full ducting, I was at thermostat temps for water and under 200* for the oil with the FM kit ducted which was overcooling on both counts.  I shrunk the aperture at the mouth by around 30% and re-ducted to have the larger oil cooler behind the radiator which works great so far.  The coolant is getting up near 200 but not hotter and the oil is around 210.  The first time out in this configuration, I just had the oil line looped with no cooler and got oil temps over 240* at a 60* ambient so I know the cooler behind the radiator is doing something still.  I'll continue to monitor it and see how it goes.

On the fan, I use just a single OEM fan on the passenger side but it never comes on if the car is moving.  I have it for idling on grid on if there is a red flag on track.  Otherwise, a reasonable cool down lap gets everything as cool as it is going to get so I just shut the car off when I park.  If I sit and idle in the paddock space, the temps just go up until the fans come on.  I haven't really checked to see if the fan will keep critical overheating in check indefinitely - my hunch is no, but the car isn't designed to handle rush hour in Houston with the AC running.   Azn

Bob is working on a quaiff but also has a Nissan 6 speed he thinks he can Frankenstein into the miata bellhousing and rotating bits.  As Mark rightly suggested, any miata 6 speed arriving at Bob's shop should be offered a blindfold, a cigarette and a priest to administer last rights... help

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #348 on: June 13, 2014, 06:26:33 AM »

Well, I'm very happy with the 3.9 gears.  I took .86 second off my previous best from April and never felt like I was between gears.  I'm also very happy with the bump stop adjustments - there was a noticeable reduction in pushback on the wheel.  The alignment was redone to feature 6* of Caster to go with the 2.5* of negative camber but I still couldn't get the insides of the front tires hotter than the outside.  The wheel wasn't too heavy but I would never want to run this car in autocross or endurance without a larger wheel and less caster.

Here are the 4 fastest laps.  The last one is the fastest but they are all within .5 seconds and all faster than my previous best.  Side note:  I'm not sure why my data overlay got my G meter diagonal but the number look accurate with 1.3s all over the place and a few 1.5s to remind me why I need to check the hubs every winter!   Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJxZ_YqEZk

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #349 on: June 13, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »

What do you mean by pushback in the wheel related to the bumps tops?

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
turborascal
18 Mazdas since 1974; 7 Miatas
Fifth Gear

7,000 rpm; Keep on Zoomin'

« Reply #350 on: June 13, 2014, 01:52:21 PM »

Terrific that you had a clear track ... S M O O T H!.   thumup

[NB] "Orange Crush": '05 LO MSM (#802/1428) (1 of 394 LOs) Matching hardtop | Hard Dog M2 Hard Core rollbar | Continental Extreme Contact DW 215/45-17s mounted on Enkei NT03+M wheels | BEGi Downpipe | BEGi Throttle Body Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | BEGi cold air intake | Enthuza midpipe and exhaust | BEGi ECU reflash | FM crossflow radiator | FM stage 2 fans | FM check valve | MiataRoadster short-shifter kit | Autometer Boost Gauge | Innovate MTX wideband | Scangauge II on a BlendMount | Rostra Electronic Cruise Control | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Motorcraft synthetic trans oil | Stebel/Nautilus air horn   SOLD!
[NC] "Daisy Dolphin": '11 MX-5 GT, Dolphin Gray PRHT Special Edition (1 of 750) SmartTop module | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Stebel/Nautilus air horn
'14 Mazda3 S Grand Touring HB | Soul Red | 2.5 Sky Activ | Tech Package
'15 Porsche Cayman GTS, Jet Black Metallic | PDK | PASM | PTV | Sport Chrono | Park Distance/backup camera | Burmester sound/XM | PCM/Nav
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #351 on: June 13, 2014, 03:53:30 PM »

What do you mean by pushback in the wheel related to the bumps tops?

When the car is too low related to the angle or the tie rods, the movement of suspension up and down changes the alignment toe in and out which pushes and pulls the steering wheel in your hands.  With the new setup, I had much less of this which helped confidence and probably helped grip to an extent.

Tie tires were 4 year old scrubs that were so wintered over on the first session that they felt like Big Wheel slicks for the first 3 laps.  Smooth did not describe the driving until they scuffed off the hard coat and got hot!

scotty b
They called you exotic. Which is people talk for awesome!
Fifth Gear

Just another lost weekend, need another vacation.

« Reply #352 on: June 13, 2014, 11:07:04 PM »

Wow, looks like you are holding 1.3g+ through the sweepers. Color me impressed!

'04 TiG, BEGI Re-flash; 450 cc injectors; FM IC; FM turbo back exhaust; BEGI intake; FM Oil cooler, Walbro 255HP, FM cross flow and Spal fans; GFB-BOV; MBC; Moroso air/oil separator; Nickel 6UL 15x8 with 225/45/15 BFG Rival S; V-Maxx Xxtreme; SSK; Wilwood 6 piston front, 4 piston rear brakes;  HDHCDD; Sparco Sprint V seats; Simpson 6-pt harness system; A-pillar dual-pod with boost and oil temp gauges, #3838

2006 C230 Sport, 2.5L V6, 6spd MT.  My favorite daily driver ever (so far).

Used to own:  '04 TiG, Big Enchilada, FM brake upgrade, Autometer boost gauge, Motegi Traklites, #2082.

My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #353 on: July 21, 2014, 04:47:31 AM »

http://youtu.be/IaZD0w4IMfo

This video is from The Ridge Friday.  I was going to Oregon Raceway Park two weeks ago but found my FM Crossflow had sprung a leak so I was a scratch.  When an aluminum radiator starts leaking in the middle of a tube with no apparent damage, it can only mean one thing:  Electrolysis.  I repaired the first leak and found a second in a different tube a few inches away.  RIP FM Crossflow...   sad1  I ordered a $120 special from a Chinese prison and put it in last week.  I thought I was having trouble with an air bubble but it turned out the pressure sender was just stuck.  You'll notice the panic light is on for the entire video so I had an eye on the gauges more than I like.

I took a seat mount and strapped my laptop to it so I could do some datalogging for the first time in a while.  My primary interest was to see how my intake temps were running.  The stock MSM harness had the filter temp sender wired up and I had already confirmed my ducting was pulling ambient air into the turbo.  The new goal was to see what was happening at the throttle body.  I was thrilled to see at a ~75 ambient, I didn't get intake air over 106* for the whole day which is great with the small turbo doing 17psi pulls down the front straight.  I was also happy to see the AFRs rock solid in the 11.3 to 11.5 range.

The cheap fleabay radiator did an admirable job holding temps steady at 205* for several laps in a row.  I feel like the crossflow did a bit better but I only ran it once with the current mouth opening and for at least part of that day, there was a leak in the core.  At any rate, 205* is fine for now and another $525 radiator isn't part of the budget this summer. 

I knocked a few more tenths off my previous personal best.  Aside from the sender light, the car was flawless!    drivingss

SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #354 on: July 21, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »

How long did you have the crossflow??  Why do you think there was electrolysis??  Contact FM about it???

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
turborascal
Fifth Gear

« Reply #355 on: July 21, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »

I particularly liked seeing you blow by the M3 near the end of the run.   drivingss   laugh

In the past two or three days, a couple of folks on the BMW board have regurgitated some of the disparaging girlie car/gay car Miata comments. 
I hope that the M3 driver was one of them!   shockeyes

I never respond to these posts; just shake my head at their ignorance.   banghead

BTW ... the usual smooth driving with a couple of nice recoveries.

[NB] "Orange Crush": '05 LO MSM (#802/1428) (1 of 394 LOs) Matching hardtop | Hard Dog M2 Hard Core rollbar | Continental Extreme Contact DW 215/45-17s mounted on Enkei NT03+M wheels | BEGi Downpipe | BEGi Throttle Body Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | BEGi cold air intake | Enthuza midpipe and exhaust | BEGi ECU reflash | FM crossflow radiator | FM stage 2 fans | FM check valve | MiataRoadster short-shifter kit | Autometer Boost Gauge | Innovate MTX wideband | Scangauge II on a BlendMount | Rostra Electronic Cruise Control | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Motorcraft synthetic trans oil | Stebel/Nautilus air horn   SOLD!
[NC] "Daisy Dolphin": '11 MX-5 GT, Dolphin Gray PRHT Special Edition (1 of 750) SmartTop module | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Stebel/Nautilus air horn
'15 Porsche Cayman GTS, Jet Black Metallic | PDK | PASM | PTV | Sport Chrono | Park Distance/backup camera | Burmester sound/XM | PCM/Nav
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #356 on: July 21, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »

I particularly liked seeing you blow by the M3 near the end of the run.   drivingss   laugh

In the past two or three days, a couple of folks on the BMW board have regurgitated some of the disparaging girlie car/gay car Miata comments. 

I never respond to these posts; just shake my head at their ignorance.   banghead

Just makes it that much more fun when you pull away from them  Grin I don't mind the jokes so much, I like my car and that's enough for me.

2005 Lava Orange MSM #394
FM Intake Kit, FMIC, HKS SSQV VTA BOV(ABC 123 R2D2), Humming Aero Pedals, Speedhut boost gauge, Humming Aero front Tow Hook, Hard Dog HCM2SD, Koyo Radiator, Spal Fans in custom shroud, Joeereid intake heat shield, Humming Aero Hood Vent, ebay catless DP.
turborascal
Fifth Gear

« Reply #357 on: July 21, 2014, 03:32:02 PM »

Just makes it that much more fun when you pull away from them  Grin

+1.  If ignorance is bliss, we have the explanation for their giddy happiness.   laugh laugh laugh

Back on topic ... I'm STILL impressed with Brian's skills.   thumup

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #358 on: July 21, 2014, 04:20:17 PM »

Nice driving!  I wish we had tracks with elevation changes close by.   sad1

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #359 on: July 22, 2014, 01:43:47 AM »

The crossflow was in the black car for a year and this was its third season in '90MSM.  FM contacted the manufacturer but they didn't have anything to offer.  I love that all but one of our tracks (Portland) has great elevation changes.  It's so much fun compared to a flat track.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: