Mazda-speed.com
November 14, 2019, 05:54:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to mount Ultrashield seats to the stock sliders  (Read 9986 times)
millsj
Fifth Gear

« on: December 28, 2011, 08:43:40 PM »

The following is how to mount Rally Sport Ultrashield Aluminum seats to the stock sliders. 

I did not want to mount my seats directly to the floor of the car since my wife and I both drive the car and we are different heights.  My solution was to buy a second set of sliders and mount the seats directly to the sliders.  This arrangement also allows for quick changes of the seats if you do not want to drive on the street with the racing seats installed.  All you have to do is undo 4 bolts, pull the seat out, place the other seats in the car, and re-bolt. 

If you are patient with a Miata salvage place, you can pick up a second set of sliders fairly cheap.  I got mine from Partsgroup for about $25 for a set.  I needed two sets (driver and passenger side).  If you need them immediately, you can get them from the dealer, but they are about $125 for a set.  OUCH!!

I decided to buy a sheet plate from Lowes, mount the steel plate to the slider and then bolt the seat directly to the steel plate as seen below:

****A word of caution to those who are overly concerned about keeping the car on a diet….this is not the lightest solutions.  The slider rails and steel plate are heavy.****

The spring mechanism that allows the seats to slide sticks up higher than the flat part of the rail, so you will have to add a spacer (or two) so the bottom of the seat will sit flat.  This is easier to see is a picture.  This picture is looking front to back at eye level with the spacer and steel plate mounted.  If I remember correctly, I used existing holes in the sliders, so I did not have to drill through them.

Here is a top view of what the spacer looked like.  I also got these pieces from Lowes.  You will notice that the places circled in yellow required notching to get around welds on the rails.  A Dremel with a cut off wheel works well for the cuts.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think I cut off these parts also.

Here is a side view with the spacers in place.

Here is a picture of both rails with the steel plates mounted to the car.  I then just bolted the seats to the plates.

And of a seat mounted to a slider.

My plan was to keep these seats in the car most of the time, so I needed to use the seat belts with these seats.  I ran seat belt through the holes in the seats as seen below and it works well.

I am sure there are other solutions, but this idea worked for me.

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: