Mazda-speed.com
November 14, 2019, 05:54:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FM Oil Cooler Installation  (Read 6413 times)
millsj
Fifth Gear

« on: January 03, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »

The FM directions are pretty straight forward, but here are some additional pics to go along.

Here is the brace that you will need to remove to allow the thermostat to fit.

Here is the left and right brackets attached to the steering rack.

It is helpful if you remove the drain line for the OEM catch can where it attaches to the oil plan.  Yes, this is the same oil drain line that sucks oil up and introduces it to the intake.

Here is the thermostat in place, but with no oil lines attached.

And the oil cooler all wrapped up.

There are a couple of things I would add to the FM directions.
I would add some washers where the oil cooler mounts.  I have circled these places, but add them on both sides. 

Second, make sure that none of your oil lines are touching the fan belts.  You can zip tie them out of the way if necessary.  One of my oil line was rubbing in this location.  A zip tie and a slight rotation of the oil line fixed the problem.

FM says to fill the oil cooler before you install it.  I was afraid I would spill oil everywhere, so I installed it empty.  After it was installed, I used a funnel, several straws and some heat shrink tube to fill it from above.  I still spilled some oil, so I am not sure what way is really better.

All in all, a pretty easy install.  You will find that working around the thermostat will require some dexterity in your arms and a good mix of ratchet drivers also helps. 

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: