Mazda-speed.com
November 14, 2019, 05:55:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FM Oil Cooler Scoop Fabriacation and Installation  (Read 5583 times)
millsj
Fifth Gear

« on: January 03, 2012, 08:19:30 PM »

The oil cooler mounts on the steering rack above the plastic undertray.  I debated what to do about the plastic undertray since there would be somewhat limited airflow through it with the tray installed.  There are many opinions as to whether removing the plastic undertray improves cooling or makes it worse. 

After lots of reading about airflow and differential pressures and our engine bays, I decided that I wanted to keep the undertray installed.  Without going into too much detail, I believe that the undertray facilitates air exiting the engine compartment, which leads to overall cooler engine temps.  Of course, the tray helps keep everything clean.  The problem is that with the tray installed, there will be restricted airflow through the newly installed cooler.  I decided to make a scoop that would stick through the tray. 

I used a medium gauge metal, but I donít know the specs.  You want something strong, but not too heavy.  You will have to use your own judgment here.  I also donít have any metal working equipment in the garage, but here is a tip for bending metal.  I used this method for every piece of the scoop that needed a bend in it.  Clamp the metal you need to bend to a piece of angle iron and then bend it with a hammer.  It works remarkable well. 

Before

After

I used a cheap rivet gun that I bought from Northern Tool to attach all the pieces together.  I will also include a template for each piece of the scoop following the write-up.

Here are some pics of the scoop in progress.

I had to cut a hole in the plastic under-tray.  This cutting took a lot of trial and error, so I thought I would save anyone who attempts this a good place to start.  The first image will be a big picture and the second one is a close up so you can read the tape measure.

Here is a picture of the scoop installed prior to the under-tray.

I decided to install a wire mesh on in front of the cooler to protect it a little.  I have since noticed that the mesh is bent is a couple of places, so it must be doing some good.

Here is the plastic tray installed.

I installed a couple of plastic push pins here to help hold it all together. 

And the final product.

Here is the template for the top and sides of the cooler.

And the bottom.

This scoop took a while to make, but it wasn't that hard.  I second one would be much quicker.

So far, so good.  My oil temps have been significantly reduced since the installation of the cooler and scoop.   afro

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: