Mazda-speed.com
May 16, 2022, 12:53:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windshield Nozzle Replacement with Mazda Protege Nozzles  (Read 20335 times)
CharlesE
Fifth Gear

Southeastern Connecticut

« on: January 22, 2012, 07:57:13 PM »

First:  Why?  The stock MSM nozzles deliver two "squirt gun" streams each to the windshield.  The Protege nozzles deliver a much broader fan shaped stream to the windshield, and are less likely to be blocked by debris.

This job can be done in a few minutes, from the top of the car.  No jackstands or unusual contortions are required.

The replacement nozzles are available from any Mazda dealer, online or local, as part number EC01-67-50YA.  Two nozzles cost me $ 17.47, including shipping.  I know, the ones you purchased were cheaper, and the dealer installed them free, and also detailed and tuned your car at no extra charge (sigh.).

Anyway:

The nozzles replace the ones in the photo below:

The white circles show the location of the nozzles on the hood exterior.

The nozzles compare as shown below.  The left nozzle is stock, right nozzle is the new Protege part.

The other side of the stock nozzle installation (right - passenger side) is shown in the photo below.

First:  Open the hood, and locate the washer plumbing on the underside of the hood.  I've replaced the standard black hoses with blue hoses on my car.
The nozzle removes very easily.  Simply pull the black 90 degree hose off the bottom of the nozzle.  It's best to grasp the nozzle end of the hose with your fingernails or with a small flat blade screwdriver.  Once the hose is removed, you can see the black plastic tabs that attach the nozzle to the hood of the car.  They may be a bit tougher to see on a Black Mica car. laugh  The tabs can be squeezed together, gently, either by hand or by using needlenose pliers.

Once the tabs are squeezed, the stock nozzle will fall out onto the upper hood surface.  Simply place the new nozzle in the hole in the hood, and push until it clicks into place.  The stock black 90 degree elbow can be pressed back onto the new nozzle now.  i suggest using one hand to hold the new nozzle in place while the elbow is pressed into place.  Installing the left side nozzle is identical.

Once finished, make sure your washer tank is full, whether it's in the stock location or in the cowl space.  Enjoy.

2004 VR MSM - FM (CAI, Downpipe, O2 Modifier, Full Exhaust, PCV, Timing Belt Kit), Hallman MBC, Silver Star Headlights, Speedhut Boost Gauge, Stainless Steel Brake & Clutch lines, Thompson Air Horn, Mobil 1, Gates Racing Belts, Samco Hoses, Hitemp Brake Fluid, Passport Detector, GPS Drive Navigation (I-Phone), 15x8 6UL's and 205 RE-11's, Carbotech AX6's, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, FM V-Maxx Stage 2 Suspension, 949 End Links.  MR Roadster Short Shifter Kit

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud....After a while you realize they like it.
Masraum
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »

Great change, they work much better than the original parts.

Steve
2004 Mazdaspeed #1654(mine)
1999 Miata (hers)
1997 Miata (sold)
toy 4 every season
Back in the saddle again
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:22:59 AM »

One question, the Protege Nozzles don't look adjustable like stock one. Where do they hit the windshield at?

Spring & Fall: 05 Mazdaspeed Miata (Lava) #540 of 1428 - TurboXS MBC, FM Intake & TB, GFB recir BOV, Rear Poly Bushings, Voodoo Magnum Shift Knob, Autometer Boost Gauge, AuxMod, eBay Catless DP, eBay intercooler, Real OPG & Linear Temp Mod, Mishimoto Radiator, FM Stage 1 Fan kit, Alutec Rear Strut Tower Brace, FM O2 Modifier, FM Stage 1 clutch w/ 10.3lbs flywheel, FM Frame Rails, LRB splash guard,  Custom LED 3rd brake light, Optima red top battery
Winter: 08 Jeep Liberty (Kill Wagon) Euro mod blackouted tail lights, Jk winch bumper on custom mounts, 3.5" OME lift, Treadwright Guard Dog tires, Curt hitch, K&N filter, Optima red top battery, factory fogs added & custom fender mounted Hella 500 spot lights.
Summer: 05 Kawasaki ZX6-R (Blue Streak) Yoshimura Rs5 carbon fiber slip on, carbon fiber body panels, HIDs, stainless steel brake lines.
For Fun: 02 Suzuki Quad King 300 4x4 w/ plow, K&N filter, dynojet jet kit, utility lights, 2000lb winch on custom brackets
In the works: 1979 Bradley GTII kit car and a Kawasaki B8 motorcycle
CharlesE
Fifth Gear

Southeastern Connecticut

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:04:08 AM »

I have an early meeting tomorrow, so I'm hitting the sack shortly....Old Guy, remember. laugh 

I'll try to post a picture of the spray pattern tomorrow.  Yes, I should have included that in the FAQ!   afro

2004 VR MSM - FM (CAI, Downpipe, O2 Modifier, Full Exhaust, PCV, Timing Belt Kit), Hallman MBC, Silver Star Headlights, Speedhut Boost Gauge, Stainless Steel Brake & Clutch lines, Thompson Air Horn, Mobil 1, Gates Racing Belts, Samco Hoses, Hitemp Brake Fluid, Passport Detector, GPS Drive Navigation (I-Phone), 15x8 6UL's and 205 RE-11's, Carbotech AX6's, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, FM V-Maxx Stage 2 Suspension, 949 End Links.  MR Roadster Short Shifter Kit

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud....After a while you realize they like it.
SilverMiataRacer
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 02:36:13 AM »

IIRC all you need to do is push a 10mm deep socket onto the bottom of the nozzle and they pop out.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
CharlesE
Fifth Gear

Southeastern Connecticut

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:54:23 AM »

I'm finally adding two photos that show the Protege Nozzle spray pattern.  These are also available in the Gallery.

Note that the spray pattern is a spray, not a stream onto the windshield which covers well over half the windshield.

miatajim
Southington, CT Mazda-speed.com founder.
Fifth Gear

Mazda-Speed.com Founder.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:37:51 AM »

Replaced mine yesterday. Here is a vid of spray pattern. http://youtu.be/lg1QOviVMIw  Thanks for the tip, like them much better.  thumup
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:39:04 AM by miatajim » Logged

04 VR Mods FM LE KIT, GFB VTA, HID's, Nexus 7 in dash, Rotationally Molded Sub(4) Box, RF Amp 100x4, Polk door speakers, Running remote mod, HDHCDD RB, A-piller Temp/Boost gauges.
lassi
Fourth Gear

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 12:51:07 PM »

I`ve had the same ones for a couple of years now and not as happy with them as others seem to be.

I thought that it might just be me that had problems with them, but the picture and video both show that the lower driver side of the windshield is not getting much if any fluid on it. No big problem, but have to spray a while to really clean that area. They also spray too high.

On another note it`s nice to see that it`s not just my wipers that are slow as snails. Seems to be almost half speed of my other cars.

05` Lava Orange - FM downpipe/exhaust - BEGi intake & intercooler - Adaptronic select - DW600 - LC1 - Xida cs 550\350 - 3.63 r&p- BNR turbo

13` CX-5 2.2D
SilverMiataRacer
Fifth Gear

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »

I've never seen these nozzles but i do know that some spray nozzles are adjustable.  Look at the openings and see if they look like they are mounted in the assembly or if they are a direct part of it.  If the are mounted in the assembly you can adjust their location by inserting a pin into them and moving them in the direction you need to correct the spray pattern.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
Crapweasel
Fourth Gear

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »

I couldn't find any here in Aust, and the postage rates were insane for the OS ones, so I went a different route. Less than A$6.00 delivered.

Will fit at the weekend and try and get pics of spray pattern and report back.

They're available in silver & red anodized - they're machined aluminum, not painted as they look in this fleabay pic.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:42:18 AM by Crapweasel » Logged

Ti with 2.5" exhaust Magnaflow muffler, Wiseco Pistons, Carrillo Rods, ACL bearings, Adaptronic ECU, H&R springs, small skirts, 4500k HIDs, custom Mazdaspeed mats, LED rears, clear side indicators, and clear reflectors, seeing you asked!
miatajim
Southington, CT Mazda-speed.com founder.
Fifth Gear

Mazda-Speed.com Founder.

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:03:59 AM »

Crapweasel, got a link for them? Thanks.

04 VR Mods FM LE KIT, GFB VTA, HID's, Nexus 7 in dash, Rotationally Molded Sub(4) Box, RF Amp 100x4, Polk door speakers, Running remote mod, HDHCDD RB, A-piller Temp/Boost gauges.
Crapweasel
Fourth Gear

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 09:15:17 AM »

Here you go: I take it you'd be after red ones? If not, just search "Metal Washer Nozzle"

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Metal-Washer-Nozzle-Spay-Car-Auto-2PCS-Washield-Red-/150819143371?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231d857ecb#ht_1804wt_1140

Ti with 2.5" exhaust Magnaflow muffler, Wiseco Pistons, Carrillo Rods, ACL bearings, Adaptronic ECU, H&R springs, small skirts, 4500k HIDs, custom Mazdaspeed mats, LED rears, clear side indicators, and clear reflectors, seeing you asked!
Crapweasel
Fourth Gear

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 01:02:46 AM »

Fitted them just now. Let's just say they're beyond useless. Holes in them are too large to build any pressure so the water just dribbles onto the winscreen. Shame, cause they look pretty good on the hood.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Masraum
Fifth Gear

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 01:06:42 AM »

That's too bad.  At least they weren't expensive.

Steve
2004 Mazdaspeed #1654(mine)
1999 Miata (hers)
1997 Miata (sold)
turborascal
18 Mazdas since 1974; 7 Miatas
Fifth Gear

7,000 rpm; Keep on Zoomin'

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 07:42:22 PM »

Note that I ordered the part number in the first post [EC01-67-50YA] from my Mazda dealer and also mentioned that they were from a Protege.

The Protege nozzles were ordered instead [different part number] and are nearly identical to the ones on our MSMs, with small nozzles rather than a fan spray as shown in the pic.

The parts man tells me that this part number is from a TRIBUTE [corrected in my heading].

The proper parts are now on order and should be received by Tuesday.

I'll follow-up once they're in to confirm that I received the pictured part.

[NB] "Orange Crush": '05 LO MSM (#802/1428) (1 of 394 LOs) Matching hardtop | Hard Dog M2 Hard Core rollbar | Continental Extreme Contact DW 215/45-17s mounted on Enkei NT03+M wheels | BEGi Downpipe | BEGi Throttle Body Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | BEGi cold air intake | Enthuza midpipe and exhaust | BEGi ECU reflash | FM crossflow radiator | FM stage 2 fans | FM check valve | MiataRoadster short-shifter kit | Autometer Boost Gauge | Innovate MTX wideband | Scangauge II on a BlendMount | Rostra Electronic Cruise Control | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Motorcraft synthetic trans oil | Stebel/Nautilus air horn   SOLD!
[NC] "Daisy Dolphin": '11 MX-5 GT, Dolphin Gray PRHT Special Edition (1 of 750) SmartTop module | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Stebel/Nautilus air horn
'14 Mazda3 S Grand Touring HB | Soul Red | 2.5 Sky Activ | Tech Package
'15 Porsche Cayman GTS, Jet Black Metallic | PDK | PASM | PTV | Sport Chrono | Park Distance/backup camera | Burmester sound/XM | PCM/Nav
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: