Mazda-speed.com
March 18, 2019, 04:43:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do to your MSM today?  (Read 805916 times)
NFMSM
Fourth Gear

Still plays with cars

« Reply #4470 on: September 23, 2016, 12:26:01 AM »

Thanks for the info,  the Xfire spoiler raises at 65mph and closes if speed drops below 55 but there is an override switch to allow raising and lowering on command. As for weight, it is definitly heavy, approx 40 pounds compared to around 13 for the stock trunk and the added weight is noticeble. Originally it was designed to stabilize the Xfire at speeds over 90mph and was set to deploy initially at that speed and later dropped to 65. I have no idea how to wire up something to control it based on speed.

Gladly...was nerding out a little last night.

We kicked around this idea at lunch today and we came up with a couple of ways to do it (I'm an engineer; I work on a robotics team with engineers of all stripes).  GPS would be one option: you can get incredibly cheap GPS chips to integrate into circuits...main drawback is potential loss of signal and more complexity around making the circuit because you'd be building it up from individual components.  

One easier package to use would be an Arduino (https://www.arduino.cc/) to measure the VSS signal (for example, see https://tushev.org/articles/arduino/9/measuring-frequency-with-arduino) and then use this to trigger the raising or lowering of the spoiler via a relay.  I took a quick look through the Arduino examples and found this one that details how to use a generic relay with an Arduino (and some other stuff that is extraneous of course).  https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/shakram02/arduino-and-ac-devices-automatic-lights-71ff56?ref=search&ref_id=relay&offset=3

One caution from my colleague who recently finished a PhD in aerospace engineering about raising and lowering the spoiler at speed: he was concerned about the potential change in downforce brought on and how it might unsettle a car's balance at an inopportune time, be it raising or lowering the spoiler.  This may or may not be a concern for you and how/where you drive, but it's worth giving some serious thought to.  The aerodynamics of the cars with these spoilers are very well vetted by teams of engineers and time in wind tunnels, neither of which you'd have at your disposal.

Anyway, that's a few thoughts and a warning to chew on.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:29:53 AM by NFMSM » Logged

2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 - Summer ride 
I'm not much of a modder: K&N drop in, FM throttle body inlet kit, Motorcraft trans fluid, MR SSK, Redline Goods leather shift boot, GTA Car Kits iPod input.  Stig family stickers in the back window.

2015 Kia Soul LX+ - Winter ride
2013 Honda Civic EX - Wife's ride
sprite63
Third Gear

« Reply #4471 on: September 23, 2016, 01:26:26 AM »

Chewing on it, but way beyond my ability. I'm a retired banker.... Are you interested in building it for me?

05 MSM Black Mica (#740) FM intake and exhaust, V Maxx Classics
95 MP62 SC, V-Maxx suspension, Customized Racing Beat body kit
Ex36
Third Gear

« Reply #4472 on: September 23, 2016, 04:43:05 PM »

The active aero is cool and worth having just because it's fun and unique, but 40# of downforce is not the reason to do this.  Nor is it a reason to be concerned about when it deploys.  You've got bigger problems if adding such little weight upsets the car, no matter when it comes on.  TBH, I'd bet the added weight and drag from this thing slows a real lap time more than the miniscule amount of extra "stick" helps.  I don't mean this to be bashing it, because I like it and think it's neat.  I just mean to say any serious noodling over the aero effects of such a thing is not worth it.
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #4473 on: September 23, 2016, 05:50:50 PM »

If 40 lbs is accurate, I agree. I just don't see a wing of that size and that angle of attack delivering just 40 lbs.

I believe the angle of attack as installed on a Miata trunk lid is going to be significantly greater than how the device works on the fastback of the Crossfire. I also just found "80lbs at 80mph if Chrysler is to be believed" in a Crossfire discussion. Combine the two notions and I think the CF wing could easily deliver more than 100 lbs of downforce on a Miata at extra-legal speeds.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
sprite63
Third Gear

« Reply #4474 on: September 23, 2016, 06:35:43 PM »

My car is a DD and will never see a track day so not really concerned about its affect on extra legal speeds, (although I did have it up to 120 ish and car was rock steady. Bought it primarily for the cool factor.

05 MSM Black Mica (#740) FM intake and exhaust, V Maxx Classics
95 MP62 SC, V-Maxx suspension, Customized Racing Beat body kit
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4475 on: September 23, 2016, 09:47:23 PM »

That is a good enough reason for me - and exactly why I would build a similar trunk lid if a Crossfire spoiler fell into my lap.

3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

joe.voss.18
Second Gear

« Reply #4476 on: September 24, 2016, 04:03:52 AM »

I got rid of my FM HOT air intake and changed to the K&N Apollo inner fender.

Before

After

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

'95MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4477 on: September 24, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »

So now your air filter is directly above a hot intercooler pipe. Are you certain that is an improvement?

joe.voss.18
Second Gear

« Reply #4478 on: September 24, 2016, 03:42:40 PM »

Yes.  Tremendous decrease in temperatures. 

'95MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4479 on: September 25, 2016, 03:38:24 PM »

I'm not going to buy "tremendous" without data and understanding your test procedure.

joe.voss.18
Second Gear

« Reply #4480 on: September 25, 2016, 04:17:40 PM »

I'm not going to buy "tremendous" without data and understanding your test procedure.
Pay for dyno testing 95MSM, and I will get you the data.  I really could care less if you buy.
 Just trying to help the community.

twinturborx7
Third Gear

« Reply #4481 on: September 25, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »

Does the intake sound any different? Is there outside air directly being fed into it?
joe.voss.18
Second Gear

« Reply #4482 on: September 25, 2016, 05:10:16 PM »

It doesn't change the sound much at all.  I thought it would by moving the intake forward. Yes.  I have the intake hose forward behind the headlight.

'95MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4483 on: September 25, 2016, 06:39:14 PM »

Pay for dyno testing 95MSM, and I will get you the data.  I really could care less if you buy.
 Just trying to help the community.

And I'm trying to help the community as well.

Your claim doesn't ring true, and thinking you could verify it on a dyno shows me you lack the depth to make those types of claims, or maybe you didn't think before you posted. You won't have real-world air flow on a dyno, so intake air temps would be completely meaningless.

joe.voss.18
Second Gear

« Reply #4484 on: September 25, 2016, 06:50:16 PM »

Ok 95SMS. Unfortunately,  the last day of 85 plus degree temperatures in Philadelphia area was Friday.  I might not be able to get real data to compare until next summer.  Unless we see an Indian summer in this area this fall. All I can tell you is the inlet temps are keeping very close to ambient 70-80 degrees farenheit as apposed to the temperatures of the radiator 200 degrees plus. Which I was seeing on the FM intake.  It really does not take great science to understand why and how that occurs.  If you want “data and a qualified test procedure".  Have at it.  All I can you and the community is that the inlet temperatures have drop tremendously. I profit nothing from this,  unlike others on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: