Mazda-speed.com
April 23, 2021, 12:14:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 05 MSM Suspension Removal Help  (Read 11681 times)
Jrs05MSM
Second Gear

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 04:24:24 AM »

Awe, impressive amount of information about the suspects. I retract my previous pessimistic statements.  afro ICE may or may not be that helpful unless you live in a state/county/city that has tough immigration policies. I know here, misd convictions do not get held for ICE. Heck, I booked someone who was a deported felon w/ gun charges and they weren't sure if ICE would want a hold on him. ICE is a heavily worked & understaffed agency considering everything they are asked to do.

Just about everyone has heard of Alabama's immigration law. Here our local PD and ICE have been working together. They just need to do another sweep of our area. This is a topic that is too far off topic to go in any deeper.

Was in Atlanta all day getting some work done on the MSM, upon return still no wheel.
Jrs05MSM
Second Gear

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 04:08:02 AM »

***UPDATE***

After a very strange turn of events I recovered the wheel (no tire or center cap) really, really, really strange turn of events.

Will post more after I have a few beers.

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 04:49:36 AM »

They took the time to remove the tire and then returned the wheel without the centercap?  rolleyes

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
toy 4 every season
Back in the saddle again
Fifth Gear

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 12:45:12 PM »

You've peaked my interest.... please do tell. Oh glad you got the wheel back, at least you have a full set again.  thumup

Spring & Fall: 05 Mazdaspeed Miata (Lava) #540 of 1428 - TurboXS MBC, FM Intake & TB, GFB recir BOV, Rear Poly Bushings, Voodoo Magnum Shift Knob, Autometer Boost Gauge, AuxMod, eBay Catless DP, eBay intercooler, Real OPG & Linear Temp Mod, Mishimoto Radiator, FM Stage 1 Fan kit, Alutec Rear Strut Tower Brace, FM O2 Modifier, FM Stage 1 clutch w/ 10.3lbs flywheel, FM Frame Rails, LRB splash guard,  Custom LED 3rd brake light, Optima red top battery
Winter: 08 Jeep Liberty (Kill Wagon) Euro mod blackouted tail lights, Jk winch bumper on custom mounts, 3.5" OME lift, Treadwright Guard Dog tires, Curt hitch, K&N filter, Optima red top battery, factory fogs added & custom fender mounted Hella 500 spot lights.
Summer: 05 Kawasaki ZX6-R (Blue Streak) Yoshimura Rs5 carbon fiber slip on, carbon fiber body panels, HIDs, stainless steel brake lines.
For Fun: 02 Suzuki Quad King 300 4x4 w/ plow, K&N filter, dynojet jet kit, utility lights, 2000lb winch on custom brackets
In the works: 1979 Bradley GTII kit car and a Kawasaki B8 motorcycle
turborascal
18 Mazdas since 1974; 7 Miatas
Fifth Gear

7,000 rpm; Keep on Zoomin'

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »

***UPDATE***

After a very strange turn of events I recovered the wheel (no tire or center cap) really, really, really strange turn of events.

Will post more after I have a few beers.

Now that IS strange.  At least you have the most valuable part back and can save or sell a complete set of RH wheels.

[NB] "Orange Crush": '05 LO MSM (#802/1428) (1 of 394 LOs) Matching hardtop | Hard Dog M2 Hard Core rollbar | Continental Extreme Contact DW 215/45-17s mounted on Enkei NT03+M wheels | BEGi Downpipe | BEGi Throttle Body Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | BEGi cold air intake | Enthuza midpipe and exhaust | BEGi ECU reflash | FM crossflow radiator | FM stage 2 fans | FM check valve | MiataRoadster short-shifter kit | Autometer Boost Gauge | Innovate MTX wideband | Scangauge II on a BlendMount | Rostra Electronic Cruise Control | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Motorcraft synthetic trans oil | Stebel/Nautilus air horn   SOLD!
[NC] "Daisy Dolphin": '11 MX-5 GT, Dolphin Gray PRHT Special Edition (1 of 750) SmartTop module | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Stebel/Nautilus air horn
'14 Mazda3 S Grand Touring HB | Soul Red | 2.5 Sky Activ | Tech Package
'15 Porsche Cayman GTS, Jet Black Metallic | PDK | PASM | PTV | Sport Chrono | Park Distance/backup camera | Burmester sound/XM | PCM/Nav
Jrs05MSM
Second Gear

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 04:36:48 AM »

the story is way too long to post. I thought my Iphone was recording the entire conversation (thought being the word). I attended a concert the previous night and forgot to dump the videos, so all I got on my iphone was me asking "so how did you end up with just one wheel".

I will say this;

We had a set meeting time and place, I showed up early ready to record the subject. I was give a vehicle description and I saw the vehicle described in the parking lot. It had only its parking lights on and a hispanic looking male driver. When I pulled in next to it - it bolted. I called the telephone number of the guy and asked "where are you going"? He replied "thats not me". (now I was amused, how would he know what I am talking about)

I waited and watched the vehicle leave the parking lot. 10 minutes later the same make, model and color vehicle shows up. This time occupied by an older guy and a young lady.

There was a lot of conversation over the telephone between my wife and the lady and me and the lady. She told me "she didnt know anything about the wheel", however at the meeting she had a lot of things to say about the wheel that didnt add up.

Also she told me I would be dealing with her husband but on two occasions during phone calls she accidentally called her husband her father and visa versa. The guy told me he was her husband on the telephone but during the meeting she called him her father.

During the meeting there is no way that the guy on the telephone and the guy I was speaking with are the same.

IMHO- The first hispanic male was probably her husband and he recognized my truck and split and then switched the wheels to the other vehicle. The vehicle he was driving only had the dealership tag on it and the second vehicle had a normal tag and was a little dirtier. The older guy was dressed to nice to have anything to do with the wheel and the wheel was cleaned, buffed etc (not like the CL picture)

They removed the tire because the tires were a Racing Firestone from Indianapolis Motor Speedway as are the other three. It would have been very easy to identify them because of their markings as well as they were all pretty bald. It would have been a dead giveaway if my LEO would have been involved.

I imagine if I look close enough in my neighborhood I will spot this worker (husband).
Jrs05MSM
Second Gear

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 04:42:30 AM »

They took the time to remove the tire and then returned the wheel without the centercap?  rolleyes

Sure did-

My thought was because if they would have posted a pic of the wheel and tire on CL and the police were involved it would be a clear and cut case. The tires were Firestone Racing tires from the Indianapolis Speedway. They have serial numbers on them and with the other DOT marks could easily be identified to my set. They were also similarly bald. As if the listing of the Ad just 2 days after my loss was not coincidence enough figure in the unique tires.

As far as center cap, my friend and I can only assume that possibly the cap got scratched when it fell on the asphalt/ curb and wouldn't present well.

I certainly did not believe anything I was being fed
turborascal
Fifth Gear

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »

As far as center cap, my friend and I can only assume that possibly the cap got scratched when it fell on the asphalt/ curb and wouldn't present well.

Or it was lost during the tire dismount.
I take it that you saw the wheel advertised on Craig's List and then made an appointment to buy.
Did you "buy" the wheel from the husband/father or did they return it without any "reward"?
All-in-all, an interesting exchange.

[NB] "Orange Crush": '05 LO MSM (#802/1428) (1 of 394 LOs) Matching hardtop | Hard Dog M2 Hard Core rollbar | Continental Extreme Contact DW 215/45-17s mounted on Enkei NT03+M wheels | BEGi Downpipe | BEGi Throttle Body Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | BEGi cold air intake | Enthuza midpipe and exhaust | BEGi ECU reflash | FM crossflow radiator | FM stage 2 fans | FM check valve | MiataRoadster short-shifter kit | Autometer Boost Gauge | Innovate MTX wideband | Scangauge II on a BlendMount | Rostra Electronic Cruise Control | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Motorcraft synthetic trans oil | Stebel/Nautilus air horn   SOLD!
[NC] "Daisy Dolphin": '11 MX-5 GT, Dolphin Gray PRHT Special Edition (1 of 750) SmartTop module | Kenwood 9980HD nav/sat radio/DVD/Bluetooth | RSpeed hood struts | Stebel/Nautilus air horn
'15 Porsche Cayman GTS, Jet Black Metallic | PDK | PASM | PTV | Sport Chrono | Park Distance/backup camera | Burmester sound/XM | PCM/Nav
Jrs05MSM
Second Gear

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 01:16:30 AM »

Or it was lost during the tire dismount.
I take it that you saw the wheel advertised on Craig's List and then made an appointment to buy.
Did you "buy" the wheel from the husband/father or did they return it without any "reward"?
All-in-all, an interesting exchange.

Cost $25, I didn't want to get arrested for strong-armed robbery, so I sucked it up. Def easier to sell a full set than three wheels.

I didn't think about the "loss at tire dismount" could be.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 04:49:11 AM »

Worth $25 to get it back without incident...  afro

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2

turborascal
Fifth Gear

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »

Worth $25 to get it back without incident...  afro

+1  It was almost worth it for the value of the story you've shared.

BTW; [sort of] back to the original intent of this thread ... I used the long-bolt method to change springs and shocks on my NA yesterday while a friend changed suspension on his MSM.
I started before him and finished well after.  The MSM suspension is easier to to work on and he had fewer complications.

A bent long bolt on the passenger side of my car caused quite a bit of unnecessary work.  
Lots of helping hands at a club tech day also resulted in some extra labor reinstalling needlessly removed parts.  
An "extra" bolt that shouldn't have been removed was discovered when ready to drop the car to the ground.  
This one would have resulted in the passenger-side front suspension collapsing upon first drive had it not been located and reinstalled.  Now THAT would have been exciting!
The missing bolt, along with a glowing ABS light after repositioning sensor wires [not yet diagnosed] made for a long, yet somewhat satisfying day.

Now to drive the car a bit to settle the suspension, run the bolts once again to check for proper torque, and then off to have it aligned.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:17:11 AM by turborascal » Logged

Jrs05MSM
Second Gear

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 12:44:48 PM »

Worth $25 to get it back without incident...  afro

+1  It was almost worth it for the value of the story you've shared.

BTW; [sort of] back to the original intent of this thread ... I used the long-bolt method to change springs and shocks on my NA yesterday while a friend changed suspension on his MSM.
I started before him and finished well after.  The MSM suspension is easier to to work on and he had fewer complications.

A bent long bolt on the passenger side of my car caused quite a bit of unnecessary work.  
Lots of helping hands at a club tech day also resulted in some extra labor reinstalling needlessly removed parts.  
An "extra" bolt that shouldn't have been removed was discovered when ready to drop the car to the ground.  
This one would have resulted in the passenger-side front suspension collapsing upon first drive had it not been located and reinstalled.  Now THAT would have been exciting!
The missing bolt, along with a glowing ABS light after repositioning sensor wires [not yet diagnosed] made for a long, yet somewhat satisfying day.

Now to drive the car a bit to settle the suspension, run the bolts once again to check for proper torque, and then off to have it aligned.

Congrats on the install. Yep, once I read the LB method all was fine. Car rides just as I want it to.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »

The long bolt method doesn't go nearly as well when the bolt is bent Tongue.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: