Mazda-speed.com
November 14, 2019, 05:55:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bleeding the Miata's ABS brakes  (Read 18038 times)
Scotty
Fourth Gear

« on: September 20, 2012, 12:50:55 AM »

A while ago, I determined that my ABS block was leaking fluid out when the pump would engage.  I waited forever, but I finally got around to sourcing and installing a salvaged unit from The Parts Group.  It doesn't leak, and my problems have been solved!

Of course, I had to bleed the system, and I really had to get fluid into the ABS's magical chambers.  Some people have no trouble bleeding their ABS, and have a high, hard pedal all the time.  For the rest of us, my internet searching revealed the following recommended techniques:

1) Bleed the brakes, go for an ABS-engaging spin around the block or on some sandy/wet/leafy/snowy/slippery road and then re-bleed the system to get a good pedal.
2) While the car securely supported on stands, start it, put it in gear, spin up the wheels, and apply the brake to get the ABS to engage (that's how I verified my leak initially, but it requires that you get the wheels going pretty quickly or judiciously applying the throttle while you do it -- plus, the unloaded drivetrain does all kinds of interesting things).
3) Pretend that ABS in a Miata makes the pedal feel terrible, and the fix is to remove the ABS.

1 and 2 are great, and they work, since they get the pump to cycle but they do take some time and/or involve some risk.  3 is also great, because now you're frustrated by a deficient system that should be changed, not a broken one that could be fixed.  

There is another option, which I didn't find on the internet but in the tech manual:

Jumper the GND and TBS pins in the DLC.  Step on the brake.  Key on.  This puts the ABS into diagnostic mode (without a special tool), and the pump cycles once on each channel.  Repeat that a couple of times, as you bleed each caliper, for best results.

I had to do it a few times to get all the air out after installing a dry ABS block, but it did work.  If you're just doing a normal bleed, you should feel a difference pretty quickly.

The only other thing I'd mention is that, on our cars, the line from the MC goes to the ABS block and, from there, back to the driver's side caliper.  This makes it a longer line, and "farther away" from the MC than the passenger's side caliper.  I'd been bleeding my brakes the traditional way (LR, RR, RF, LF) since I got the car, but I tried reversing the order for the fronts and can't say I notice a difference.

Hopefully, this post will help someone who heads to Google before they head to Mitchell's.  Oh, and for anybody thinking, "I've heard of GND but what's TBS???"

This is a 99-00 DLC pinout, but the positions of GND and TBS are the same on my car.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:06:27 AM by SilverMiataRacer » Logged

'04 VR GT #1656-- Turbochargers.com 15T compressor wheel upgrade, Hydra v2.6 w/wideband, BEGi reflash for the stock ECU & LC-1 wideband, 450cc injectors, GC coilovers (425F/300R w/FM MCU bumpstops) on Tokico Illuminas, RE-11s on O.Z. Ultraleggeras, FM swaybars, Powergrid end links, FM full recirculating intake, FM intercooler, FM exhaust w/downpipe, FM Crossflow radiator, Hard Dog center-braced Deuce, 3.636:1 R&P, ES poly diff mounts, Mazda comp motor mounts, MiataRoadster SSK, Wilwood BBK w/XP8s all around, Speedhut boost and wideband gauges, GFB G-Force II EBC, Datatool revlite...

...and a new long block from Mazda at 19k miles
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:04:50 AM »

Great write up Scotty.  Thanks for the great work!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:52:50 AM by SilverMiataRacer » Logged

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: