Mazda-speed.com
October 18, 2021, 10:05:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ugh, Another Bog Thread, But Please Help  (Read 31003 times)
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 11:33:24 PM »

I'm not sure about the shudder but it definitely can be long enough to watch the boost build and the car not go.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 11:39:08 PM »

Came across this video which gives me a few things to look into: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvdWeyDHf4

He does mention that a battery that is due for replacement even though it starts the car, can cause random misfires. So that answers one of my questions.

I'm calling BS on the battery thing.  The alternator should be providing enough amps to run the engine.  I'm even calling BS on your battery needs replacement.  If the car starts well your battery has the ability to hold enough charge.  If you have the correct battery in the car, an AGM unit, what you might want to do is give the battery a 2amp charge for 12-24 hours to bring it back up to full level.

Also as has been mentioned.  Unplug the TPS and go out and drive the car as you would when you get the hesitation problem and see if the problem is gone.  If it is then the answer is it's the ECU caused hesitation.  If it's not gone then you have another issue to chase.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
upwinger
Third Gear

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 01:55:33 AM »

Joe, could this be a BOV diaphragm gone bad, like we were discussing?

Zoom-Zoom! #296/1428
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 01:58:25 AM »

when i had hesitation, 5 seconds was normal. i was about ready to sell the car.

Yeah, I figure I can't be the only one with this problem, but I also think this is not normal. I've had the car going on 5 years and it's only been this bad since last fall. So did you find a fix for the hesitation you had?

BTW, forgot to mention, I already disconnected the battery when I cleaned my MAF. So, that didn't fix anything. My battery starts the car fine, but the shop last month when I had my state inspection said the battery is on its way out. I wouldn't think it would cause this bog, but is it a possibility?

Just go to your local firestone or napa and have them test your battery. It's usually free and takes 5 minutes to do. Your really going to go off the state inspection techs opinion? I'm pretty sure local emissions tech's where I live barely know what obd even stands for.

Do whats been said previously, the throttle position sensor takes all of 5 seconds to unclip and reclip. The car will start a little rough and you'll notice a high idle. But get on a non populated road where you can really give it some gas and the car should pull hard and smooth.

Second, check the spark plugs. From what it sounds like, you haven't touched them in a long time. I'm sure your gap is off, causing the misfire. (ACTUALLY, do this first before unplugging the tps)

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
justin4192
Second Gear

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 03:45:50 AM »

I have a few things on my list to check out. Spark plugs I've been meaning to inspect. The TPS will be easy to check after that.

About the state inspection... It's a local shop I use somewhat regularly and I trust what they said. I didn't think the battery was checked under the "state safety" inspection, but it sounds like maybe they did a courtesy inspection to see where they could make some money. They are looking out for their customers, but also trying to make money. They used to have a mechanic that owned several Miatas and I was looking forward to coming to him if needed. Turns out he's retiring and moved to a sister shop since. I would think they used a battery tester like you're recommending. Before I buy a new battery, I'll plan to get it checked out at Advance Auto Parts or wherever.

I was thinking I should record a video to show how bad this issue is. Searching youtube turned up no results for mazdaspeed bog. I'll try to get around to that.

Thanks for the input so far. I really do want to get this solved.

2004 MSM Titanium - FM Downpipe - FM Intake - Corksport 80mm Cat-back Exhaust - HKS SSQV Recirculating Valve - Blitz Turbo Timer/Boost Gauge - FM O2 Mod - Hardtop- HIDs
sloopercat
All cars need mods, this one needs a few to be great.
Third Gear

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »

How much boost are you seeing when the problem starts?

15x8 6UL w/225/45 Rs-3's, Black Hardtop, Ohlin Coilovers, Std NB sways FM exhaust and Intake, E-bay IC, Grom adapter, Redline shift boot, MR short shifter, 37mm Koyo, NB radio and shifter surrounds
justin4192
Second Gear

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 04:47:05 PM »

As soon as I transition from vacuum to boost, so at 0 on my boost gauge. Boost will then build, but the car does not accelerate, it shudders and the exhaust has a muffled stuttering sound.

2004 MSM Titanium - FM Downpipe - FM Intake - Corksport 80mm Cat-back Exhaust - HKS SSQV Recirculating Valve - Blitz Turbo Timer/Boost Gauge - FM O2 Mod - Hardtop- HIDs
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »

As soon as I transition from vacuum to boost, so at 0 on my boost gauge. Boost will then build, but the car does not accelerate, it shudders and the exhaust has a muffled stuttering sound.

It definitely sounds like plugs now.

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
sloopercat
Third Gear

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »

I would throw a set of plugs and check the wires.

I plumbed my FM O2 mod in backwards and that is very similar to what I experienced, the exhaust sputter sounds familiar. May be worth disconnecting the vacuum hose to that signal modifier to see if that is functioning at all.

15x8 6UL w/225/45 Rs-3's, Black Hardtop, Ohlin Coilovers, Std NB sways FM exhaust and Intake, E-bay IC, Grom adapter, Redline shift boot, MR short shifter, 37mm Koyo, NB radio and shifter surrounds
justin4192
Second Gear

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »

I would throw a set of plugs and check the wires.

I plumbed my FM O2 mod in backwards and that is very similar to what I experienced, the exhaust sputter sounds familiar. May be worth disconnecting the vacuum hose to that signal modifier to see if that is functioning at all.

I tested the O2 mod with a volt meter and it was functioning correctly.
About replacement plugs.... Are there some that I can purchase at Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone? I only put ~4k miles on the car a year, so it may not be worth putting in the premium plugs that it came with if the only difference is that they are supposed to last longer. I think I read on here somewhere there are some NGKs people recommended. I need to find the posts. NGK's website said the following are compatible, none of which appear in those stores search results:
Name         Model          Gap
G-Power    BKR5EGP    .032
OE Laser Iridium    IFR5T-8N ^ #    .032
Iridium IX    BKR5EIX    .032

Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »

You should be able to find these local

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4529&parentid=0&stocknumber=04-56201
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:11:41 PM by Maduh » Logged

yenadar
2005 #36 Black Mica
Fifth Gear

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »

Yup, I ordered those same plugs (FM's link by Maduh) from my local Advance, showed up the next day. Gap will need to be set on them, but they immediately solved a misfire issue I was having that was remarkably noticeable. Under boost I would get a lurch in power.

Too wide of a gap under boost can be getting your plug spark 'blown out' before it can really ignite.

It would also answer the question about how it has gotten worse over time with no other changes. At $18ish for all 4, I'd carry a spare set around with you, and change them at least yearly. It's cheap insurance. Misfires can clog your cat and cause other issues. 

(I'm used to paying $20 per plug on my RX-8 Cheesy)

Keeping the MSM for the forseeable future.
Last mod: FM2 2560 conversion
justin4192
Second Gear

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »

Does anyone know the model number to those NGK's that FM sells? Their item number 04-56201 doesn't appear to be NGK's model number and I'm not finding a V-power plug with green font "NGK R" in my searching on Advance Auto or AutoZone. Thanks.

Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 08:05:05 PM »

Does anyone know the model number to those NGK's that FM sells? Their item number 04-56201 doesn't appear to be NGK's model number and I'm not finding a V-power plug with green font "NGK R" in my searching on Advance Auto or AutoZone. Thanks.

Just buy them from FM? You gunna have to order them from advance and wait a day or 2 anyways...

sloopercat
Third Gear

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »

You sure the ECU is getting the signal? Maybe the vampire clips lost contact.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: