Mazda-speed.com
April 22, 2021, 11:26:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 03 ride/handling change with Eibach coil overs  (Read 5576 times)
cagypsy
First Gear

« on: November 01, 2013, 11:15:10 PM »

Just purchased an all original 03 SE with 9,660 miles with a box of new Eibach coil overs in the trunk. Original Turanza 205/45-16 just starting to crack in the tread, all else looks new. Looking hard at Continental Extreme DWS's. I've searched but don't have a clear picture of the ride/ handling trade off of using the new coil overs. Also, would a better bump stop be needed for a strictly street car? Are these really MazdaSpeed parts as the owner asserted? Current ride is fine with a little too much brake dive and body roll, even while overall handling is very acceptable, just not optimal. PS Owner sold because she was irritated at the 03's trade in value for buying her new 2013 Club. She just turned 86.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:26:55 PM »

Eibach coilovers are not Mazdaspeed parts.

You welcome here but this is not a general Miata forum and you might find more answers relating to your questions at www.miata.net rather than here which is a Mazdaspeed MX-5 forum

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
cagypsy
First Gear

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:14:37 AM »

So the sellers assertion that Eibach made the MazdaSpeed OEM parts is not true. The Eibach tech line claimed that while this coil over set is discontinued, it was the parts made by Eibach for Mazda OEM MazdaSpeed cars, though he was unable to identify who built the struts . That was the reason I posted here, no one else was able to answer that question.
joliver3
Second Gear

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:29:53 AM »

The OE Mazdaspeed parts are Bilsteins, aren't they? 
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 12:50:03 AM »

Mazdaspeed has Bilstein shocks with springs.  It is not a coilover system, meaning it's not adjustable.

Larry

Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
bigx5murf
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 06:19:39 AM »

I believe those eibach coilovers are actually rebranded KW variant 1, with eibach's progressive springs instead of the linear/helper spring combo on the KWs

cagypsy
First Gear

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »

bigx5murf
Thank you.
That makes sense. The description on the boxes says    "Stainless steel technology  "inox-line"*
Individually height-adjustable.The ideal system for customers wishing to rely on the experience of our engineers to set the damper setting, yet determine their own degree of lowering." 
The springs also have "Eibach" markings, so the Eibach tech guy saying that these were made for OEM MSM is not true. SilverMiataRacer...Looks like coming here to ask the question was the ONLY way I was going to get the truth.
I don't imagine I'll find many people here who have tried these. I'll try contacting KW to get a sense of how they will affect the ride/handling of my car. Hopefully (not counting on it) they will be more knowledgeable than the Eibach tech. Probably they'll just tell me it'll be as great as their OEM set up for the  Mercedes AMG Black Series.  Roll Eyes
bigx5murf
Fifth Gear

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »

I would be wary of any coilover system that uses progressive springs, they tend to have the wrong spring rates for our platform.  For example, the H&R coilover kit has the same spring rates front and back (and I believe so do the bilsteins pss9).  Miatas need stiffer fronts than rears to handle neutral, same spring rates front and rear will make for a very tail happy car.

cagypsy
First Gear

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »

Email from Eibach says they Co-built these with KW using the linear spring rates of 215 lbs/in in front, 158 lbs/in rear with height adjust-ability and stainless steel KW components. Now discontinued, they were designed to be MazdaSpeed replacement parts, then relabeled and sold direct from Eibach.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 10:59:48 PM »

Those are pretty light spring rates for aftermarket springs.

Larry

– Ernest Hemingway
bigx5murf
Fifth Gear

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »

Makes sense, they're practically stock spring rates.

cagypsy
First Gear

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 11:15:51 PM »

Being as they came with the car, I'm going to install them. Then I can tell you how different from stock NB they are.
The whole owners story of these being MazdaSpeed parts, then with Eibach tech line claiming they made the MazdaSpeed springs in 2004, My asking Eibach techline about the KW theory I heard here and them saying, like Mercedes, Mazda contracted with KW, originally retained to engineer the bump stops and MazdaSpeed struts for adjustable coil overs, matching Eibach springs.  Done with a 2006 MazdaSpeed car planned before the factory was destroyed. SilverMiataRacer said "  It is not a coilover system, meaning it's not adjustable."  So why does the factory packaging say ...?
   "Stainless steel technology  "inox-line"*
Individually height-adjustable.The ideal system for customers wishing to rely on the experience of our engineers to set the damper setting, yet determine their own degree of lowering." 

You also said..."You welcome here but this is not a general Miata forum and you might find more answers relating to your questions at www.miata.net rather than here which is a Mazdaspeed MX-5 forum"
I did and received no answers.
So if you are still wondering why I came to Mazda-speed.com, that's why.
bigx5murf
Fifth Gear

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »

They're probably confused, the Mazda motorsport development coilover for the mazdaspeed 3 actually are made by kw as well. That's a performance based set. Mazdaspeed miata has no such system for it from the mmd catalog. The suspension kit available for it there is basically spec miata suspension.

cagypsy
First Gear

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »

bigx5murf
I appreciate your information. Confusion aside, you've convinced me that trying them is more than worth doing. KW is unlikely to have produced something worse than the oem parts that are still in there 11 years later, and probably they produced something much better. Being as I find the 100% stock car pretty great, the free coilovers and the FM frame rails and/or butterfly brace ( my preference to a roll bar on a street use only car) should make a nice first step.
cagypsy
First Gear

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »

BTW    Re: Garagestar fender braces   ...worth installing?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: