Mazda-speed.com
October 24, 2014, 10:44:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our Sponsors!
The Gallery
Mazda-speed.com Forum Rules

Home   Help Login Register  

Be sure to visit our sponsors!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AuxMod Advanced way over priced???  (Read 4833 times)
Qwicsvt
Second Gear

« on: January 02, 2006, 01:09:50 AM »

All,

I've been corresponding with Eric at Sylfex regarding the new AuxMod Advanced and was quite suprised to hear him say that the new model, that was supposed to be more cost effective to produce, is going to be priced at $150!!!!  Now as I'm sure you all know, that's $90 more than the current model!  I don't really see anything that would justify that kind of jump in price and as you can see from the emails I've posted below, I've asked for clarification on this.  So, for the meantime I'm still on the waiting list for the new model but that might well change once I receive some asnwer's back from Eric. I'll keep you all posted.

Copied emails:

Eric,

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I don't think there is enough differentiation between the Basic and the Advanced models to justify a $90.00 increase in price based upon the $150 price you quoted in your reply below.  If there is something I'm missing from reading your description online that makes the new unit worth the premium, please set me straight.  I'll withhold asking to be removed from the Advanced waiting list pending your reply.

Regards,
Matt Z.

>From: "Eric Hochwald" <erich@sylfex.com>
>Reply-To: <erich@sylfex.com>
>To: "'Matt Zimmerman'"
>Subject: RE: AuxMod Advanced Waitlist - An question for you...
>Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 11:16:21 -0500
>
>Hi Matt,
>
>Thanks for the feedback.
>
>I have added you to the AuxMod Advanced waitlist as #2202.
>
>AuxMod Advanced has an ETA of February due to extended lead times on our
>parts and an estimated price of US$150. We will notify you via email when
>the module is available for purchase, so please make sure that any spam
>filters you have accept email from this address.
>
>The website should be your first place to look at for updates on
>availability (http://www.sylfex.com )
>
>We will be accepting Paypal as the primary method of payment.  International
>shipping costs US$9 via US Air Letter Post mail. Domestic US shipping costs
>$5 via US Priority Mail.
>
>Thanks for your interest in AuxMod!
>
>Regards,
>
>Eric
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Matt Zimmerman
>Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 12:41 AM
>To: webmaster@sylfex.com
>Subject: AuxMod Advanced Waitlist - An question for you...
>
>Please place me on the waiting list for the AuxMod Advanced.  If you now
>have a better idea of when the new version will be ready to ship I'd really
>appreciate a heads-up.  Thanks for producing such an innovative and useful
>product.  Everyone over at newenglandroadster.com is raving about it and I'm
>really looking forward to installing it on my own MSM.
>
>Regards,
>Matt

2004 Titanium MSM
MazdaSeed
Boo-ya turbo!
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 01:14:04 AM »

I don't get it...what does the "advanced" do that the regular one doesn't? I have the regular one and use it with my iPod everyday and it's CD (or better) quality sound. I suppose I could look it up, but I'm too lazy right now lol. Care to elaborate?

#878 of 1428 DOB 10/22/04
FM DP, AEM SRI, BeGi TBI, GFB VTA BOV, Rota GT3s, Kumho Estca SPTs 205/50/15, Autometer 4301 Boost guage
TDR Splitter, Apex TTw/ Greddy harness, 11.5PSI, Boss Frog Double Hoop Roll bars, 20% tint
vwnomore
Fourth Gear

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 01:49:24 AM »

I thought it allowed control of the iPod through the factory radio. 

2004 VR MSM (located in Hampton, VA) | FM exhaust and Downpipe | Koni Sport | Ground Control | HDHCDD Roll Bar | Voodoo Spun Magnum Shift Knob or Black Smoot Pistol Grip

FMIC on the garage floor (for sale soon)
baco99
Fifth Gear

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 08:51:26 AM »

that's what i thought too...  worth it, IMO.

Former owner: 2005 MazdaSpeed MX-5 GT
vwnomore
Fourth Gear

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 12:58:05 PM »

that's what i thought too... worth it, IMO.
I don't know that it's worth the cost in all honesty.  I know that I can find songs on my ipod really quick.  I'd rather use the iPod's wheel then try to move through folders and such on the factory head unit.  I do see where hiding the iPod out of sight is nice though.

2004 VR MSM (located in Hampton, VA) | FM exhaust and Downpipe | Koni Sport | Ground Control | HDHCDD Roll Bar | Voodoo Spun Magnum Shift Knob or Black Smoot Pistol Grip

FMIC on the garage floor (for sale soon)
MazdaSeed
Boo-ya turbo!
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 04:01:21 PM »

Oh snap does it really let you control the iPod from the HU? That's pretty badass, but yeah, very overpriced.

#878 of 1428 DOB 10/22/04
FM DP, AEM SRI, BeGi TBI, GFB VTA BOV, Rota GT3s, Kumho Estca SPTs 205/50/15, Autometer 4301 Boost guage
TDR Splitter, Apex TTw/ Greddy harness, 11.5PSI, Boss Frog Double Hoop Roll bars, 20% tint
leo766
Fourth Gear

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 10:43:23 PM »

1)How can you pay 60 to begin with for something you can already add to your car for free

2)Well i dont pretent to know anything about cars, but i do know PCs, and have both taught and worked in the PC repair industry, now 90$ for that u get an LCD display, not bad, and essentially a mini computer, i mean this thing has upgradeable software and expansion moduels, meaning potentially u could possibly have native XM(right now the only way to a mita with XM is through the ghetto) moduels that hide inside ur dash, and who knows what else, GPS for all i know, but anyways its not so much what it has on the outside, which is some extra plugs and an LCD, but what it could be, which sounds like pritty much anything. Now considering all that, plus production costs, and predicted demand, 150 sounds like a steal.

basically this will turn your headunit into a 600 dollar head unit, with horrible sound (in my opinon) because this thing opens up things like ability to add hard drives and flash drives, and mp3 players and anything u could basically want in a head unit, the problem is that it will still sound only as good as those speakers will allow, and unfortunately the only choice of speakers right now is factory or clearwater(which has mixed reviews just like the factory system...)

So to wrap this up... if u can't tell the differance between a 128bit mp3 and a cd, hence can't hear the horribleness of bose, then this thing is actually pritty awesome, otherwise, start saving the 800 dollars you will need, to buy a good headunit, wiring and speakers(not to mention all the labor you will need to rip out all the BoZe crap)

Hydra EMS 2.5 Injen SRI
wideband o2 FM DP
550cc injectors ANSA dual muffler
BCS MS sways
Forge 007p DV      Blitz DTT
rotorglow
Don't write anything controversial in this space.
Fifth Gear

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 11:11:30 PM »

1)How can you pay 60 to begin with for something you can already add to your car for free

Uh...how's that again?  Do you mean the DIY hacks of the headunit's backplane?  Those take time; time = money.  Plus (speaking for myself) I'm a klutz with a soldering iron. An Auxmod Basic for $60 is a pretty great price for robust plug-n-play, and front panel input switching (no external toggles). 

$150 for the Advanced seems pretty reasonable for what it does; it is a very specific (and low-volume) piece of equipment.  And don't forget it will display track info on the HU.  There's a feature matrix on their site.

No affiliation with the company.  Just glad I got a Basic before they went out of stock.

2004 VR Sport: FM Big Enchilada w/ Hydra 2.7 + DeatschWerks 700cc injectors + FM crossflow rad + comp motor mounts--Koni Sports + Ground Control + Racing Beat 1.125" bar + blocks & bolts--Wilwood/Carbotech brakes--15x8 6ULs + Advan AD08Rs--Speedhut boost gauge + Clearwater speakers + Auxmod + other misc electrics
Qwicsvt
Second Gear

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 11:31:00 PM »

Here's Eric's response, let the comments roll...

Hi Matt,

The waitlist isn't binding, so you are free to decide for yourself if you
think it's worth it.

The big things that AuxMod Advanced offer over Basic are:
1.  MP3 player control integration is possible.  We will offer integrations
for CarPC and iPOD integration from the start.  Eventually, we hope to offer
6 or 7 different integrations for different brands of players.
2.  A high-quality Ground Loop Isolator will be included
3.  LCD text display will display song information from the PC or iPOD on
the radio console
4. You will be able to charge and control the power status of an iPOD from
the radio.
5.  User upgradeable firmware will mean that you can reprogram your module
to use different integrations at your choosing.

We've spent a lot of time and effort developing AuxMod Advanced.
Considering that there aren't any competing products on the market that have
a similar feature set for any car for under $250), let alone the Mazda's, we
think that we are offering the module for a reasonable price. During the
development phase, several unplanned expenses came up and the cost of AuxMod
Advanced will be substantially higher for us to manufacture then AuxMod
Basic.

We are committed to doing our best to make sure that you are a satisfied
customer.  If you have problems, comments or suggestions, we want to hear
your feedback.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Regards,

Eric

2004 Titanium MSM
Roast Beef
Second Gear

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 12:21:27 PM »

IMO the $150 is a great price for what you get.  I keep my ipod hidden in my glovebox even now, and I have to lean over and look in the glovebox to adjust it (short cable).  Adjusting it through the head unit would be a great addition.  Right now I usually just make a bunch of playlists depending on how long I think I'll be driving and start them, then close up the glovebox.

The thing being user-programmable is the best feature, though.  It gives people the ability to add all kinds of features to it.  Even without the ipod compatibility, the fact that I could program it to do whatever I want is worth at least $150 to me by itself Smiley

2004 Velocity Red MSM (sold)
2006 Evo IX SE
leo766
Fourth Gear

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 12:06:56 AM »

Uh...how's that again?  Do you mean the DIY hacks of the headunit's backplane?  Those take time; time = money.  Plus (speaking for myself) I'm a klutz with a soldering iron. An Auxmod Basic for $60 is a pretty great price for robust plug-n-play, and front panel input switching (no external toggles). 

Have you read the instructions for it's install? Either way you have to take the radio out, not to mention that all you get is a non proffesionall looking stereo cable that you have to route somewhere. So for 60$ your not saving alot of time nor getting an easily accesible proffesional looking jack to hook things up to.

In other words, I can't in good consience reccomend the Basic unit. Its what the Miata is to the MSM, so the Advanced is a little extra money for alot of extra ZING.

Hydra EMS 2.5 Injen SRI
wideband o2 FM DP
BCS MS sways
nester
Second Gear

ricer

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 03:13:34 PM »

I bought the AuxMod basic, and it's worth the money I spent...

If the iPod control really works like it's supposed to, and the intergrated ground loop control works too... I'd day it'd be worth the money..

With the basic, I've got alternator whine, even with the $20 ground loop isolator from RatShack.. I need to reground the radio and the cig lighter (ipod connect to it)..

08 Ridgeline - Stock
87 Samurai - Lifted/Big Tires/Engine Swap, Turbo build underway
leo766
Fourth Gear

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 11:05:05 PM »

Uhhh IPod control? thats a freature of the advanced... I believe... maybe I'm mistaken
but the thing is for the $60 u spent, now the effort of regrounding, and the 20$ part, you could of DIY it in my opinion.... but hey thats just me...

advanced looks really cool though, i can't wait to see some sort of cool moduels released it could be reall cool... maybe some sort of gauge moduel or something, that could allow you to hook up a boost line and maybe awideband line too... that would be sick... data logging would be cool too as well as GPS

Hydra EMS 2.5 Injen SRI
wideband o2 FM DP
BCS MS sways
rotorglow
Don't write anything controversial in this space.
Fifth Gear

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 01:15:02 PM »

Have you read the instructions for it's install? Either way you have to take the radio out, not to mention that all you get is a non proffesionall looking stereo cable that you have to route somewhere. So for 60$ your not saving alot of time nor getting an easily accesible proffesional looking jack to hook things up to.

In other words, I can't in good consience reccomend the Basic unit. Its what the Miata is to the MSM, so the Advanced is a little extra money for alot of extra ZING.

Well, yeah, I have read the instructions.  I was questioning how you think one can get "for free" (your words) the same functionality that a Basic provides.  I still don't think it's possible, unless one's time is free.  (And mine's not; I'd rather be driving...)  But if you want a DIY plug on the side of the transmission tunnel or whatever, go for it....

That said, I agree with you that the Advanced has some pretty nice features, though you still have to route the cable somewhere, just like the Basic.

2004 VR Sport: FM Big Enchilada w/ Hydra 2.7 + DeatschWerks 700cc injectors + FM crossflow rad + comp motor mounts--Koni Sports + Ground Control + Racing Beat 1.125" bar + blocks & bolts--Wilwood/Carbotech brakes--15x8 6ULs + Advan AD08Rs--Speedhut boost gauge + Clearwater speakers + Auxmod + other misc electrics
blkmtn
Second Gear

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 09:06:15 PM »

I think it would be great if leo766 could provide other members with an Auxmod Basic for a lot less than $60! Or an Auxmod Advanced for a lot less than $150!

'04 Ti MSM
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Be sure to visit our sponsors!