Mazda-speed.com
December 01, 2021, 06:41:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Humming's 05 Lava Orange  (Read 121175 times)
thomsoad
Fifth Gear

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 05:01:52 AM »

So I'm coming up on my second oil change since owning the car and I am planning to do an oil filter relocation kit while I'm at it. I know the Thompson and FM kits are very popular but I wondered if anyone had tried a transdapt or summit or even an ebay kit, kinda like this one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSP-UNIVERSAL-10-ROW-OIL-COOLER-KIT-WITH-OIL-FILTER-RELOCATION-KIT-SANDWICH-PLAT-/390794006722?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5afd2350c2&vxp=mtr

same price as the FM, but includes an oil cooler. Engine temps are a big concern for me since I live in Phoenix AZ. It would be a fun project to build a duct since my passenger side fog light is smashed anyways. Might even try to find a fan to wire in just with a switch.

I know the FM kit will be a quality part, but just wondering if anyone had any luck with any of these more affordable kits?

Humming I live right here in Phoenix as well.
I run the Hydra...bigger injectors ...and I have never run into an issue of needing an oil cooler.
Its your choice, but if your not tracking the car at Firebird Speedway IMHO your just wasting your money.

Previous MSM: 2004 TI; FM LE; Falken FK452s

Current MSM: GT Mica;
SUSPENSION/TRANSMISSION: 215/45/17 Pilot Super Sports; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; FM Happy Meal Level 1 System; GarageStar door bushings; MR short shifter
ENGINE: FM Wiseco Pistons; Carrillo A rods; ARP studs; ATI Super Damper; Mazdaspeed competition motor mounts; oversized intake valves, oversized Inconel exhaust valves, ACL Race bearings , FM valve springs; 700CC Deatschwerks injectors:  NGK plugs; Magnecor 8.5s .
PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: Upgraded Blouche turbo, FM Intake, FM full Exhaust, FM Intercooler
ECU: Hydra 2.7
MISCELLANEOUS:  Autometer Boost Gauge; Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control, Motorcraft transmission fluid, Mobil 1 differential fluid, Castrol Platinum Synthetic Motor oil.

DYNOPACK RESULTS:
WHP: 256 @ 6141 rpm
TORQUE (lb/ft): 267.0 @ 4105 rpm
BOOST (PSI): 15.46 @ 4120 rpm
                     14.00 @ 3750 rpm

My MSM: Street...with attitude. Smiley
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 05:19:21 AM »

So I'm coming up on my second oil change since owning the car and I am planning to do an oil filter relocation kit while I'm at it. I know the Thompson and FM kits are very popular but I wondered if anyone had tried a transdapt or summit or even an ebay kit, kinda like this one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSP-UNIVERSAL-10-ROW-OIL-COOLER-KIT-WITH-OIL-FILTER-RELOCATION-KIT-SANDWICH-PLAT-/390794006722?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5afd2350c2&vxp=mtr

same price as the FM, but includes an oil cooler. Engine temps are a big concern for me since I live in Phoenix AZ. It would be a fun project to build a duct since my passenger side fog light is smashed anyways. Might even try to find a fan to wire in just with a switch.

I know the FM kit will be a quality part, but just wondering if anyone had any luck with any of these more affordable kits?

Humming I live right here in Phoenix as well.
I run the Hydra...bigger injectors ...and I have never run into an issue of needing an oil cooler.
Its your choice, but if your not tracking the car at Firebird Speedway IMHO your just wasting your money.

Well, I do plan to track the car at firebird and AMP with NASA(I did a NASA event on the main circuit at firebird with a friend in his car and got so hooked thats how I ended up buying the MSM). So to clarify, do you have a relocation kit on your car? If so what brand? This all started because I had a hard time stomaching the $250+shipping price tag for the FM kit when it says on the FM website that its a tight fit anyways.

2005 Lava Orange MSM #394
FM Intake Kit, FMIC, HKS SSQV VTA BOV(ABC 123 R2D2), Humming Aero Pedals, Speedhut boost gauge, Humming Aero front Tow Hook, Hard Dog HCM2SD, Koyo Radiator, Spal Fans in custom shroud, Joeereid intake heat shield, Humming Aero Hood Vent, ebay catless DP.
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 08:21:24 PM »

Installed the roll bar about 2 weeks ago but didnt have time to finish getting the interior back in. Finally got it done this morning.

The Passenger seat isn't in in these photo's but it is now. I had some troubles with the bose stereo, the unit behind the seats. The speakers couldnt go in because of the roll bar. Picture below. Wondering if others had this same problem and what they did about it? I'll probably make an aluminum offset bracket. For now the two seats do an acceptable job holding it in place between the seat and rollbar.

I bought a helmet and the first time i tried it on I knew I was going to be a little high for the broomstick test, estimated 1/4" sitting in the car. Took some pictures today and realized I was way off  Cry

At least an inch above the roll-bar/windshield plane. I don't think the foam-ectomy will quite get me there so I think I'll look into an ultrashield or something and just swap it in for the track since this is my DD.

Once the seat situation is sorted and I'm finally track legal I'm not sure what to do next. I've got the custom stuff i'm going to fabricate that will keep me busy for a while, but the bolt on stuff I'm not sure where I ought to go next. Thinking about the ebay downpipe since it's a very affordable mod. Besides that I'm thinking wheels, coilovers, brakes, DIYautotune, exhaust.

side note: has anyone else had trouble with the search feature on this forum? I can search several key words from one of my own posts and it will come up with zero results...

FM Intake Kit, FMIC, HKS SSQV VTA BOV(ABC 123 R2D2), Humming Aero Pedals, Speedhut boost gauge, Humming Aero front Tow Hook, Hard Dog HCM2SD, Koyo Radiator, Spal Fans in custom shroud, Joeereid intake heat shield, Humming Aero Hood Vent, ebay catless DP.
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »

... Humming I live right here in Phoenix as well. ...

Do you run a catalytic converter? Ever have any trouble with emissions? I'm pretty sure it ought to be fine, but I've not been successful tracking down a forum entry regarding our cars and AZ emissions.

VolCrew
Fifth Gear

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 08:31:48 PM »

Use google with site filter.

2004 Ti MSM GT  - my Red Barchetta
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »

Use google with site filter.

Yeah, thats what I usually end up doing. It's just kind of a pain to be switching tabs if I'm doing it from my phone.

humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 05:37:04 AM »

So I've got frame rail envy, but I like to make things custom and personalized. Looking at waterjet cutting my own frame rail set and welding them up. I have a friend who works at local-motors and they have helped me out for a school project with their cnc bending brake, so maybe he would be willing to bend them for me. If so I'll make them single piece and skip the welding. Anyways, here is a picture of my concept:

I'm gonna see if I can get a piece of .063" 4130 or 4340 sheet for cheap enough. If I can, then I'll do that and probably powdercoat them. Otherwise I'll go with .125" 1020 steel and probably just do the rattle can thing. Just dropped a ton of money on some tools for my side job as well as oil filter relocation kit with oil cooler and a timing belt kit and tools from FM, so the frame rails are gonna have to wait a while, but I'll get the files all ready so I can get it cut once I have the cash together.

humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 06:59:01 AM »

The frame rails will have to wait, I got looking around and there is a lot more features and clearances to deal with and I don't have time to make the proper measurements.

Something I DO have time for:

I designed a custom oil cooler duct, Had it waterjet cut. I will bend it in the next few days, and my friend will weld it up for me, since I don't have access to a TIG. Should leave me with about 1/4" of clearance from the crank pulley and radiator. I may have to trim and tilt and adjust a bit. The flange will rivet to the plastic under tray, and I'll work out the oil line routing once I get there.

scross8305
Fourth Gear

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 03:35:02 PM »

As far as emissions, I run the ebay DP here and no problem.  Just put the plug spacers in and if one doesnt clear the code, add another.  They dont do much here but plug in OBDII and make sure no codes. I do roll by the street sniffers with my foot off the gas right now as I know I wouldnt pass a sniff test with my current set up.

05 LO(#979/1428), FM Full Intake, Boss Frog Double Hoop Silver PC,  Koni Yellow w/ Tein Spings, Catless DP, Corksport 80mm Full exhaust, FMIC, LoTek A pillar, Autometer boost gauge. Hydra 2.6 w/ RC 750cc
05 LO (#116/1428) parts car now Sad
99 Track Project in progress:  MSM transplant, ebay FMIC, tein flex coilovers, MS3e, and more to come.
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »

As far as emissions, I run the ebay DP here and no problem.  Just put the plug spacers in and if one doesnt clear the code, add another.  They dont do much here but plug in OBDII and make sure no codes. I do roll by the street sniffers with my foot off the gas right now as I know I wouldnt pass a sniff test with my current set up.

Are you located in AZ as well?

scross8305
Fourth Gear

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »

West valley, avondale area. 

05 LO(#979/1428), FM Full Intake, Boss Frog Double Hoop Silver PC,  Koni Yellow w/ Tein Spings, Catless DP, Corksport 80mm Full exhaust, FMIC, LoTek A pillar, Autometer boost gauge. Hydra 2.6 w/ RC 750cc
05 LO (#116/1428) parts car now Sad
99 Track Project in progress:  MSM transplant, ebay FMIC, tein flex coilovers, MS3e, and more to come.
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »

West valley, avondale area. 

Right on! I think I'm gonna order that sometime soon then! Thanks for chiming in on that!

humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 01:27:36 AM »

got the duct bent up today  cheesy

install soon i hope!

HELLIONMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »

didn't get an update... love the oil cooler duct, did you get that ebay one?

also do you have an  stl file for the pedal?

this is what I did with the windblocker/speakers....

will be making some brackets soon.

formerly hiddenmazda... Thanks to Gary, I'm not hidden anymore!
2005 MSM #1153 a.k.a Blackout
konig feathers Black 12.4lbs/205/50/15 kumho asx/custom 3" Enthuza XR/custom 2.5" - 3" enthuza midpipe/black razr grill from the grill guy/20% tint all around including windshield/sun visor delete/cool breeze scoop/"baby Teeth" delete/Dragon tattoos (from the 3 trips to MATG 13,14,and 15)/drilled and slotted rotors/PBR/Axxis Metal Master(XBG)/black decepticon tire valves/FMDP/Mako Shark Teeth/plastidip blacked out emblems, Joe's Maf reloc kit+MBC, fab9 COPs, eBay FMIC, carbonmiata silicon hoses, led foglights, aux in mod. FM stage2 fans, Koyo 37mm radiator. CHEVYSPEED-MSM/W LSX V8 (1 DAY)
CUSTOM NB CENTER CONSOLE PLATES
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,30085.msg339245/topicseen.html#msg339245
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 04:02:15 PM »

didn't get an update... love the oil cooler duct, did you get that ebay one?

also do you have an  stl file for the pedal?

this is what I did with the windblocker/speakers....

will be making some brackets soon.

cut the pictures from the quote to save space...

If it wasnít that exact ebay one it was very similar. Just a basic 10 row and oil filter relocation kit. Itís going to be a VERY tight fit, so I hope my measurements were good. Once it gets welded Iíll try fitting it up and check it out.

What format do you want for that pedal? .stl format is actually specific to stereolithography, a form of 3d printing, though most cad software supports it. If you are just going to have it waterjet cut then .dxf will probably be what they want. I only have that for the dead pedal, I never made a file for the gas pedal, and still need to finish up my clutch and brake pedals. I may make files and drawings for all of them in there is interest in them from enough people.

Thanks for posting what you did with your speakers! I may have to look into something like that, though Iíd want some sort of enclosure over them. side note:I really wish it wasnít so much of a pain to replace the bose head unit with a single din item. Maybe I could dissect the wind blocker to install the speakers and their mesh guards flush into the parcel shelf jsut pointing upwards.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: