Mazda-speed.com
October 18, 2021, 11:37:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Humming's 05 Lava Orange  (Read 118343 times)
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2016, 04:41:20 AM »

Both millsj and I retained the AC with our ducting. Don't know how to link threads but search Radiator/intercooler ducting...not for the faint of heart though

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2016, 04:42:44 AM »

Both millsj and I retained the AC with our ducting. Don't know how to link threads but search Radiator/intercooler ducting...not for the faint of heart though

http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,27402.60.html found it!

2005 Lava Orange MSM #394
FM Intake Kit, FMIC, HKS SSQV VTA BOV(ABC 123 R2D2), Humming Aero Pedals, Speedhut boost gauge, Humming Aero front Tow Hook, Hard Dog HCM2SD, Koyo Radiator, Spal Fans in custom shroud, Joeereid intake heat shield, Humming Aero Hood Vent, ebay catless DP.
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »

There is nothing to the ducting.  All you need are some tin snips, some aluminum and approximately a zillion hours of free time.   Shocked  In all seriousness, it's not all that difficult, but it will test your patience and takes a lot of time.  That being said, it does make a huge difference in the cooling.  The AC lines just make things a little more difficult on the driver's side.  I had to allow for the AC lines to run through the ducting.  The thread posted previously gives a lot of details on how my system works. 

Joeereid and I took slightly different approaches to accomplish the same result.  If I remember correctly, JR incorporates the plastic undertray into his design and I wanted the undertray to be completely separate. 

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #273 on: June 14, 2016, 01:30:47 AM »

There is nothing to the ducting.  All you need are some tin snips, some aluminum and approximately a zillion hours of free time.   Shocked  In all seriousness, it's not all that difficult, but it will test your patience and takes a lot of time.  That being said, it does make a huge difference in the cooling.  The AC lines just make things a little more difficult on the driver's side.  I had to allow for the AC lines to run through the ducting.  The thread posted previously gives a lot of details on how my system works. 

Joeereid and I took slightly different approaches to accomplish the same result.  If I remember correctly, JR incorporates the plastic undertray into his design and I wanted the undertray to be completely separate. 

Thats what I'm afraid of. I'd also prefer if I could take the undertray off without any more hassle than it currently is. We'll see how much time I have and what I come up with.

FM Intake Kit, FMIC, HKS SSQV VTA BOV(ABC 123 R2D2), Humming Aero Pedals, Speedhut boost gauge, Humming Aero front Tow Hook, Hard Dog HCM2SD, Koyo Radiator, Spal Fans in custom shroud, Joeereid intake heat shield, Humming Aero Hood Vent, ebay catless DP.
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #274 on: June 15, 2016, 03:55:54 AM »

Well, I've located the AC leak. It's at a hose to metal tube joint under the radiator on the drivers side. The sniffer was pretty easy to use, and I'm glad I got it because the UV dye didn't show anything, even in the spot where the leak was. Hopefully this is the only leak and I'm able to get my AC back!

humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #275 on: July 04, 2016, 07:19:54 PM »

Okay, time for an update here. The sniffer worked fantastically, I was very surprised for how well a $45 sniffer could work.

https://amzn.com/B00FYO8UL8

turned up the sensitivity, found the general area, and then turned down the sensitivity and was able to find a leak at one of the high pressure hose crimp joints.

Did some searching for replacement hoses but the only place I could find them new was OEM for a LOT of money, like more than the compressor, and you had to buy the whole set if I remember. So I decided to go ghetto on it. I put some JB weld on the joint and let it cure overnight. I added a bit of r134a and the system held pressure for a few days.

Fast forward to this morning. I had an old gauge set a friend gave me forever ago, but the fitting on the charge hose didn't fit with my vacuum pump, and the gauges had the wrong pushlock connectors. I bought a new harbor freight gage set,
http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-r134a-manifold-gauge-set-60806.html
but it still didn't mate to the vacuum pump. my friends gauge had a barb hose connector in the middle so he could attach a different valve when filling the freon. So I bought a 3/8 male pipe to 1/4" barbed adapter, swapped it with the 3/8 pipe to 1/4 flare that came in the pump, and used the charge hose off my friends set up with my new gages.

I discharged the pressure in the system, hooked up the vacuum pump, opened the high and low pressure sides, and turned on the pump. In about 10 minutes it had pulled the system down to 30 inHg, which was the spec on the instructions I was following here(see page 10):
http://www.mellens.net/mazda/Mazda-Miata-2005/hvac_2.pdf

It held pressure for 5 minutes no problem.

I put in enough r134a to get it up to 14 PSI per the instructions, and let it sit. The pressure stayed steady, and the sniffer on the problem joint didn't make a fuss.

I added the required 14.1 oz, the AC was blowing cold, and a few days later it's still nice and frosty.

humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #276 on: July 04, 2016, 07:20:13 PM »

Used a 3M headlight lens restoration kit today with great results. I used the heavy duty version.

Before:

After:

It took about an hour and a half to do both lenses and came out looking great. There was some stuff around the edges that was under the plastic, so I couldn't get that, but they are 100X better than they were before.

humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #277 on: July 17, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »

Went out to shoot some pictures!

humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #278 on: August 13, 2016, 09:46:10 PM »

The saga is over, the car sold this morning.

Goodbye! well, I'll be in the classifieds for a bit to offload a few parts, but then thats it.

Seeya!

SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #279 on: August 13, 2016, 09:47:46 PM »

Really, why??

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
svetki
Third Gear

« Reply #280 on: August 13, 2016, 09:53:46 PM »

Got a good offer?

#752 LO - Joe's Intake, 2.5" eBay dp, 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, ebay IC, Koyo Hyper-v, Koing Roller 205/45/16.
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #281 on: August 13, 2016, 10:41:04 PM »

Really, why??

A host of reasons, but in the end, I think the biggest is that I bought the car to go to the track. I recently realized that wasn't happening for me any time soon for a number of reasons. So I bought an isuzu trooper for family friendly outdoor activities, and I'll start work on my 240Z that I've been neglecting for a decade now. Maybe by the time that's ready, track time will be a possibility for me.

SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #282 on: August 13, 2016, 11:18:19 PM »

That's too bad.  Good luck with your future plans!

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
TheBigChill
Fifth Gear

« Reply #283 on: August 13, 2016, 11:35:58 PM »

Get that 240z in nice shape.  It's one of the few cars that can actually be considered an investment these days.  Take care.
fastgascar
First Gear

« Reply #284 on: August 29, 2016, 03:13:40 PM »

Rob, good to see the history on the changes and mods done. Was just about to pull the shifter to check the boots and I ran into this thread.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: