Mazda-speed.com
October 18, 2021, 11:01:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Fab9Tuning experience (and product reviews)  (Read 14160 times)
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« on: March 05, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »

It seems hard to trust a newcomer sometimes with so many already established and proven vendors, not just online, but local to me. However I chose to go with fab9tuning for a few parts of my build. They were helpful with helping me decide on the best size intercooler, found me a SPAL Radiator fan for my existing trackspeed unit, and I got the COP kit to boot.

The Intercooler came first, only a few days after ordering. I got the stage 2 unit, 17lbs of cooling glory. Build quality was impressive, and the brackets were SUPER sturdy and lined up the core dead center. Note, some cutting of the metal bumper support was required. About 2 hours worth. I was a bit disappointed because I thought I'd have to cut something else (which was my fault), but as a good honest vendor, fab9 even added to the listing page that "customers report 2-3 hours of installation is required", which was nice to see.  You will have to move or eliminate your PS hardline to fit the big boy, BUT I picked up a Derale PS cooler kit on Amazon for $35 shipped and fit it between the radiator and intercooler.

A cutting wheel will work, a plasma cutter will work better and faster. It's one of those things where you have to cut some and mock it up and then cut some more, you don't want to over-do it.

A few days later I got the SPAL radiator Fan, which was nice. It probably took about a week to get, so not bad at all. Pricing was competitive.

After waiting for a little while for fab9 to work through the tons of COP orders they get, I had my coils. I did not get the plug and play kit, and mine came with the IK27 plugs which are no longer listed as an option. Wiring them in was simple, and we made a bracket on the back of the head to keep the module, though you might want to mount yours to the firewall. i have a coolant reroute and don't know if it would if it would fit back there with the stock system. I have the old style silver coils and all I had to do was trim the boots on cylinders 2 and 4 to get the coils to seat all the way down. Somehow a few days after first running them, the coil module gave out, perhaps due to the settings in my Megasquirt ECU. No problem, fab9 sent me another unit no charge 2-day mail and didn't even ask me to send the old unit back!

I got to a point in my project where the differential needed to go in quickly so we could proceed to other work. I ordered the energy diff bushings and shot the guys an email stating I had some urgency. I had a tracking number THE FOLLOWING MORNING and the bushings a few days later.

Dealing with fab9 has been nothing but a pleasure. They've been helpful, friendly, and everything has worked out. Hasn't been perfect but when a seller cares enough to make things right, it says something about them. Their pricing is the best I have seen for a long time. Some of you guys reading this may have ordered parts from Mike at JSCSpeed (local buddy of mine), and back in the day I used to get things with the "spocknasty" discount. Mike is no longer there, but the prices fab9 offers are basically what I paid 1-2 years ago with a "hookup". Can't go wrong with Fab9Tuning!

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
yenadar
2005 #36 Black Mica
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »

+1 My experience with Fab9 has also been exemplary. Only the COP kit, but when I was getting a no-fire scenario on my car and sent him an email, he called me back a few hours later on a weekend, and worked with me to figure out the issues and challenges. Top shelf when it comes to customer service and responsiveness.

Keeping the MSM for the forseeable future.
Last mod: FM2 2560 conversion
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 05:37:43 AM »

Ordered my koyo 37mm radiator from FAB9. They had the lowest price+shipping I could find by at least $20. Next best was evasive motorsports, but FAB9 was 3 day shipping, evasive was same for the unit, but $20 more overall and 5 day shipping.

Part shipped the same day and arrived when promised, only complaint from me is that I didn't get a tracking number for the thing until Tuesday, but the fed-ex website did confirm it had been shipped within a few hours of ordering it Friday. I'll definitely be purchasing from them again in the future as long as the prices stay in the sweet spot.

2005 Lava Orange MSM #394
FM Intake Kit, FMIC, HKS SSQV VTA BOV(ABC 123 R2D2), Humming Aero Pedals, Speedhut boost gauge, Humming Aero front Tow Hook, Hard Dog HCM2SD, Koyo Radiator, Spal Fans in custom shroud, Joeereid intake heat shield, Humming Aero Hood Vent, ebay catless DP.
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:40:17 AM »

I ordered my last set of Hawk HP+ pads through them and got them a few days later. Very good pricing and cool people. Planning on buying through them again.

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
bigx5murf
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:14:55 AM »

I've had good experiences ordering through Mike as jsc before.  Sad to hear he isn't there anymore.

thomsoad
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 12:13:03 PM »

I had a couple of lumps when ordering my damper.
But they were very open and forthcoming with the issues and delays.
I would not hesitate doing business with them again.

Previous MSM: 2004 TI; FM LE; Falken FK452s

Current MSM: GT Mica;
SUSPENSION/TRANSMISSION: 215/45/17 Pilot Super Sports; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; FM Happy Meal Level 1 System; GarageStar door bushings; MR short shifter
ENGINE: FM Wiseco Pistons; Carrillo A rods; ARP studs; ATI Super Damper; Mazdaspeed competition motor mounts; oversized intake valves, oversized Inconel exhaust valves, ACL Race bearings , FM valve springs; 700CC Deatschwerks injectors:  NGK plugs; Magnecor 8.5s .
PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: Upgraded Blouche turbo, FM Intake, FM full Exhaust, FM Intercooler
ECU: Hydra 2.7
MISCELLANEOUS:  Autometer Boost Gauge; Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control, Motorcraft transmission fluid, Mobil 1 differential fluid, Castrol Platinum Synthetic Motor oil.

DYNOPACK RESULTS:
WHP: 256 @ 6141 rpm
TORQUE (lb/ft): 267.0 @ 4105 rpm
BOOST (PSI): 15.46 @ 4120 rpm
                     14.00 @ 3750 rpm

My MSM: Street...with attitude. Smiley
yenadar
2005 #36 Black Mica
Fifth Gear

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »

My opinion of Fab9 is continuing to drop.

Not to detract from anyone else's good experience, I also had a great one originally.

However, since buying the CoP kit last December (at which time he stated that it would work find with the Hydra), discovering that it doesn't work with the Hydra over the winter into the spring, going back and forth with attempted solutions and an additional module I had to purchase... I ended up having to build a custom DIY LS2 coil conversion, something I should have just done in the first place. At that point, communication started dribbling off. I kept getting promises that he would send me something new to test, but nothing would arrive and I'd forget about it since my car was running fine, then I'd prompt again and again, a promise of a solution and he would send me something to test.

That finally ceased in May, and it came back to mind a few weeks ago when I was moving stuff in the garage and noticed the FAB9 CoP kit, and sent him an email, asking if I can get a refund for the extra module I purchased and if he didn't want to refund me on the rest of the kit (since it's been modified several times) I would sell it for what I could get with it. He told me that they finally had a solution (something I've heard half a dozen times), and he would send me an updated harness to test to confirm that it was fixed. That was 2 weeks ago, and again, nothing has shown up, and no further communications, just like before.

I am $400 in the hole on unusable Fab9 CoP kit + modules, not even including all the hassle of trying to avoid driving on the failing stock ignition as much as possible, having the new FM2 cat fail anyway, etc... I didn't buy something else because a solution was perpetually available only a few days away, and it took too long for me to throw in the towel.

I like the quality he originally showed, and what he is doing for the community, but my own experience has soured so much that I doubt I could give him a fair review at this point.

So just make sure that when you order something new from him, that you aren't going to run into problems post-purchase. Don't repeat my story please.

Lokiel
Fifth Gear

Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 11:53:05 AM »

I'm an Aussie and Mike Spock from JSC Speed was great to deal with when I bought my rods and pistons from him. He recommended against the CP Piston side coating option since it wears off anyway but did suggest that the top coating was worthwhile - gotta love a vendor who tells you not to waste your money.

As for the Fab9 COPs, mine result in the "crank, no start" problem too with my Adaptronic e440 Select ECU so I've reverted back to the stock plugs and coils for now Sad

According to the latest posts in this thread, http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=538084, Bryan may have a solution. I sent him an e-mail a couple of days ago to see if I can get hold of the modified harness and am still waiting on a response from him.

04TitaniumGrayPhilly, what "black magic" did you use to get yours working?

I didn't try running them in Full Sequential mode, Wasted Spark only.

Ti Aussie "SE" (cannot be called "MazdaSpeed" here, "speed/performance" badging encourages reckless driving apparently), DIY AutoTune MS3-Pro ECU, Borg-Warner EFR6258, NitroDann custom manifold+3"exhaust+CAI, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, GM D514A CNPs, 83.5mm coated CP pistons, K1 rods, Fab9 350HP intercooler,  ported Squaretop Intake Manifold, Skunk2 Throttle Body, ATi Super Damper, '95MSM SpeedHut Boost Gauge Mod, GREDDY Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat, Setrab Oil Cooler, BC Racing BR Series coilovers (8/6kg), 1.125" Racing Beat Tubular Sway Bar + Al Braces, 949racing SuperMiata end links, Carbing 3-pt shock tower brace, Nickel 6UL 15x8s, Toyo R1Rs 225/45/15, Wilwood Front BBK, SS Brake Lines, FM Frame Rails, Boss Frog "Frog Arms", MX5 Plus Twin Hoop Roll Bar, MiataRoadster long-angled SSK, Piano-Black Voodoo Knob&HandBrake, Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 gauge+sensor, Lotus Probax seats + lots of "goes faster" chrome bling (since chrome reflects light, less of the colour spectrum is absorbed, making the car lighter - "pseudo-science" Smiley ).
Build Thread: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091
yenadar
2005 #36 Black Mica
Fifth Gear

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »

They work fine with the Megasquirt, because the MS pushes out the same spark voltage that the stock ECU does. These other ECUs don't. They just send a trigger signal, expecting that you have another means of providing the spark voltage (after all, pulling the spark voltage through the ECU isn't exactly ideal). The lower voltage isn't a problem for factory coils, but simply can't drive these CoP at that point. Going sequential stops the voltage splitting at the coil end and helps, but still not enough to allow usage in boost and there are still random misses.

Soon after posting the above yesterday, I got a USPS tracking number and an email for the latest fix that seems to be working from that thread on Miata.net.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:45:31 PM by yenadar » Logged

04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 03:08:21 PM »

What Yenedar said. My experience wasn't without fault, as I got heat range 9 IK27 plugs originally with my kit that fouled within a few miles of driving. The plugs were replaced by Fab9 at no charge with IK22 plugs, and everything else I've needed has arrived quickly, though sometimes e-mail communication is immediate and other times I wait a few days for replies. My only disappointment with the kit is that the coils don't sit down in the wells the same way on all the cylinders but that's more of a valve cover design flaw than the kit.

Overall a good vendor, bummer to see some people having problems, but it's good to see it's just in regards to one product.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:09:34 PM by 04TitaniumGrayPhilly » Logged

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
JNegfmSM
Fourth Gear

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 03:09:38 AM »

I won't start a new thread since you have this one cooking.

I ordered my Koyo R2277 53mm radiator and received it in two business days... Way faster than I expected. Bryan was open to working with me on a few things, which I really appreciated.

It seems to me that his company is willing to support and benefit the community as a vendor should -- as far as my experience goes. In my world, I am more than pleased. Fab9 has been bookmarked and I will watch their site for new additions and specials from now on. Thanks Bryan!

Josh

2004 Ti, Hydra 2.7, FM Big Spark Kit, FM Big Flex Fuel Kit, DW 700cc Injectors, DW200 Fuel Pump, Comp Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Tein Flex (FR-9k/RR-6k), FM Intake, GReddy Type-S BOV (VTA), eBay IC, Catless FM Downpipe, FM Exhaust, Koyo R2277 53mm Radiator, Mishimoto Silicone Rad Hoses, FM Check Valve, Black Boss Frog Double Hoop Roll Bar (modified stock windbreaker to fit), MR SSK, Blox 490 Platinum knob, FM Clutch Override, Sunvisor block-off plates (shout-out to Maduh's 3D printer), Thompson Auto-Folding License Plate Bracket, independent fog mod, and plastidip'ed windshield surround. Proud AMMO NYC & Schaeffer's Oil user.

To install: Suzuki washer bottle & wire up installed flex fuel sensor to Hydra for the corn juice.

Next goal: Well, I have a spare IHI turbo now...
yenadar
2005 #36 Black Mica
Fifth Gear

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 07:24:10 PM »

That "fix" mentioned above doesn't work. I was promised a refund on the additional module purchased on August 28th, but he hasn't sent it and hasn't responded to any further emails.

Here is my entire email history with him regarding this problem, "printed" from Gmail to PDF. I've been avoiding posting it in the hopes of actually getting some resolution with him, but I no longer expect that to ever happen.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0etLT_8h8Q8T05kYVVpcUtxM2c/edit?usp=sharing

My kit is going up for sale. 10 months, $400+, and 10 miles since purchasing.

Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »

Last email response was Aug 28th from fab9 and your reminder email was on Sept 12th. I'd send him one more email before you write him off.

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
yenadar
2005 #36 Black Mica
Fifth Gear

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »

Someone gave him the heads up on my post above, and he just issued the refund. So there was resolution on that. My whole experience is well soured, but he is still a good vendor for the community. His track record with everyone else, and his product quality are both very much in his favor.

Fab9
Sponsor
Second Gear

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 08:24:22 PM »

Hi Yenadar,

This is my fault completely - after our discussion I went searching for your transaction and due to the length of time that had passed it didn't allow me to refund it.  I was distracted and forgot to come back to the topic.  

I've just refunded you manually by sending it back to you as a Friend or Family to avoid any fees on your end.  I apologize for the delay here - nothing personal and I'm certainly not trying to avoid you.

Cheers,
Bryan

www.Fab9Tuning.com - Mazda Performance Products - Unbeatable Pricing
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: