Mazda-speed.com
December 01, 2021, 06:22:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: darkcambria's autox/hill climb BSP thread  (Read 42144 times)
darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2016, 01:08:02 AM »

Thank you. This car has felt phenomenal this year so far. I ran Weatherly hill climb for the first time and finished 3rd place, 1.5s off of the new record. Very neat hill and I look forward to learning it more. That jump is slightly terrifying if you hit it hard! Here's a video from that hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AyCcrFupKI

This last weekend was Pagoda hill climb which may be my favorite hill. It has a special place in my heart. I ran a 90.3 last year on the only run that was dry. This year I improved to a 84.7 which broke the previous record. Again, a fantastic weekend with the car running great. Below is the video from that best run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPfJ6h2H2Eg
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:25:15 AM by darkcambria » Logged

FM Big Enchilada, 15x9 6UL with 225/45 BFG Rivals
darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »

Ran another brand new hill (to me) that has a ton of history, Giant's Despair. The first running of that event was 1906 with huge names like Andretti and Shelby running the hill. Really neat event and a ton of crowd involvement. I finished in first again, a half second away from a new record. Thankfully someone grabbed some pictures of the car so I can see what its like on the hill. Next weekend is our break in hill climbs, so I'm headed to Chicago to run another 24 hours of lemons event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAJKlDiKcvs

darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2016, 02:23:03 PM »

Here's a few more pics I've come across that others have taken. I'm getting ready to run Polish Mountain this weekend, its been a nice break but time to do more events.

Turn 1 at Pagoda Hill Climb

Devil's Elbow at Giant's Despair Hill Climb

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »

Just watched the video of Giant's Despair.  That looks like one fast run up the mountain!  How fast are you going in the faster parts of the course?

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2016, 06:16:10 PM »

Just watched the video of Giant's Despair.  That looks like one fast run up the mountain!  How fast are you going in the faster parts of the course?

Thanks! Going into turn 2 it was around 90mph and the finish line was 98mph. I was happy to be going that fast at the end due to how incredibly steep it is. My friend in an NB can actually watch his speedometer go down while going up the final climb.

When I run Duryea in 2 weeks I should be seeing over 115mph at the finish line.

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »

That's pretty fast being on surface streets.  I am used to those speeds on the track, but we don't really have any guardrails or anything else to hit.  I've heard a hill climb described as an autocross, but instead of cones, you have rocks.

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2016, 02:57:35 AM »

That's pretty fast being on surface streets.  I am used to those speeds on the track, but we don't really have any guardrails or anything else to hit.  I've heard a hill climb described as an autocross, but instead of cones, you have rocks.

Part of the challenge is examining the course and picking apart the dips, pavement patches, and camber that you have to watch out for. It makes for some really strange lines when you watch the videos, but sometimes those really are the best. That's definitely a correct assessment though, high speed autox with rocks and trees as your cones. I love driving on track, but hill climbs really get my blood pumping the most.

darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2016, 03:19:38 AM »

Here's your summer biweekly update. Ran Polish Mountain which is one of my favorite hills. The weather was not so kind to us, rain Friday evening, then Saturday morning. I took my first run on Saturday in pouring rain. The run went fine, but I couldn't make it back to my pit as I got stuck at the entrance. Word to the wise, A7s and mud do not mix. Thankfully some sunshine and a few truck loads of sawdust dried things up and we continued. I worked my way down to a 61.5 which was good for a new class record again. That was definitely an improvement from the 64.8 that I ran last year. Here's the video from one of my better runs (61.9)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qwBsx-y26A

darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2016, 10:56:01 PM »

Ah Duryea Hill Climb, probably my favorite of the season. We call it the super bowl of our season. Its the same lower end as Pagoda, except extends for a high speed run for another 1.3 miles. That adds some thrills and a good bit of difficulty. My friend in a turbo s2000 found that out when he spun at the finish, thankfully did not hit the stone walls. The only issue with Duryea is that its insanely popular, registration fills up in under 2 days. We ran 111 people and with the longer course get less runs. We got 3 runs on Saturday and I made my way down to a 122.4. Then we had two dry runs on Sunday before the rain hit. I managed to get down to a 121.7 which was good for another class record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfUKq5uyhjw

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2016, 01:34:09 AM »

Ok.....that's just nuts!  Shocked

Congrats on another class record.

darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2016, 10:38:55 PM »

Thanks! It's nuts but oh so addicting. I'd love to see what a Miata with aero like yours would do. I think that would greatly help the bottom of the course.

darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2016, 12:51:00 AM »

Time for another update. This weekend we were back at Summit Point, but on a new track. The management would like us to run Shenandoah Circuit instead of Jefferson so they offered us a nice deal. After running the course, I really can't argue. Shenandoah is a technical and challenging course that is an absolute blast. This course features a lot of turns "borrowed" from other circuits, including a banked karoussel that is pretty nutty to drop into. The corkscrew is a lot of fun to drop off of into some sweeping turns and a straight.

Time Trials are a bit different format than Hill Climbs for us. We run about a corner or so for warmup then two hot laps. That was a little interesting since some people weren't patient, we had a bunch of spins in the first heat. That really cut down run times and we were only able to get 4 sessions out each, so basically 8 laps to learn the course and adapt.  I love a good challenge and it worked out for me. Ended up being the second fastest production car out there (behind a 500whp Evo X) and 6th overall out of 80. Watching the video I see a ton I can clean up, but I'm overall happy with the run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NjDxgIQ9AY

I did run into an issue and found an interesting explanation for it. I've noticed that the engine has been burning about a half quart of oil for the last bunch of events. I've been tracking down some leaks and a few other things, but nothing really made a difference. At the line for my 3rd run I blew off the cold side of the intercooler piping.When I got back in from those boostless laps, that whole side of the bumper was sprayed down with oil and a cup of oil drained out of the intercooler. I've also been leaking oil out of the area around my manual boost controller. It seems that I'm definitely circulating oil more than I'd like. I know that my car has been subject to some pretty strong g forces with wide A7's and still being able to roll 900lb springs. I do not currently have a check valve on the catch can, but am rectifying that. I'd love to think that's my only issue is pulling up oil out of the pan, but I've considered the turbo seals as well. Any thoughts?

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2016, 04:46:38 AM »

Crappy stock "Oil Separator" issue. The in-line check valve should solve that. I also always keep my oil level at least 1/16" below the "Full" mark on the dipstick.. Of course you'll need to drop the intercooler and clean it out, as well as all your piping.

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2016, 10:03:36 AM »

Almost everyone has issues with the oil separator at track days and the solution is the check valve.  Almost no one has turbo seal issues.  Start with the easiest, known issue first.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2016, 12:02:31 PM »

I went through the same issue on the track.  This was early in the days of trying to figure out this issue, so I installed a catch can between the oil "seperator" and where it recirculates back to the intake to help figure out what was going on.  I was getting about 8-12 oz of oil in the catch can in a 20 minute session on track.  I wasn't on big Hoosiers either, so your oil issue sounds typical with no check valve.

Make sure you clean the intercooler well before putting it all back together.  It can potentially lead to overheating issues.  You can seal one end, pour a decent amount of denatured alcohol and slosh around.  I repeated this a couple of times.  I was able to pull the intercooler from underneath without removing the bumper.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: