Mazda-speed.com
February 01, 2023, 03:55:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED Tail Lights - opinions  (Read 9182 times)
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »

man... i really just don't think any of those aftermarket items look good at all. sorry.

2005 Lava Orange MSM #394
FM Intake Kit, FMIC, HKS SSQV VTA BOV(ABC 123 R2D2), Humming Aero Pedals, Speedhut boost gauge, Humming Aero front Tow Hook, Hard Dog HCM2SD, Koyo Radiator, Spal Fans in custom shroud, Joeereid intake heat shield, Humming Aero Hood Vent, ebay catless DP.
joshwa73
Third Gear

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 04:16:49 AM »

Yep, the more I look at my posted photos the more they do look too cheesy/ricey. Not getting them.
Crapweasel's rear end (lol) was more my direction. That set, including the clear 3rd brake light is just enough to fit the look of a Miata without ruining it, in my opinion. Likely will go back stock or at the most a stock smoked lens. Keep in mind my car has no emblems, blacked FMIC, dark tint all around, and people constantly ask what it is. The brake light choice may lend itself to that.
I know what you mean about shipping to OZ-- Kauai, Hawaii here. EVERYTHING is expensive. Except pineapple.

04' MSM #3968 Velocity Red
AEM intake, Begi TB inlet, Forge BP, FM downpipe, Racing Beat exhaust, Hallman MBC, Ebay FMIC (matte black), Koyo 37mm Rad., Vmaxx Classics, FM Happy Meal, 10lb FW, FM anti-sway bars, MR SS, SS clutch and brake lines, StopTech SP pads, FM 02 sig.mod., 305cc's, Denso iridium plugs, Magnacore 8.5mm, BF single hoop RB, AEM boost/wideband failsafe, 55w HID's (5K),  foam/visorectomy (6'3"), Nautilus horn, Blox 450g knob,
DMac_Speed
Because... Go kart!!!
Fourth Gear

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 04:21:07 AM »

If that's the look you're going for, why not just paint some stock lights with smoked lens tint?

2004 Ti MSM #1707 bought Jan 2013 mostly stock with 46k miles. She now has 75k miles (January 2016), complete FM intake, GFB recirculating BPV, TurboXS MBC set to 10.5psi, custom cold air ducting, eBay FMIC, FM O2 signal mod, custom SpeedHut Revolution boost gauge, Ultra-gauge, custom gauge mount, GTA car kit, eBay downpipe, and custom 3" exhaust... I'm an aerospace engineer, and I like building my own parts 😉
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 04:43:55 AM »

EVERYTHING is expensive. Except pineapple.

Lol, and poi!
Man I can't wait to go back. I spent a week with some friends who lived on oahu on laie bay about ten years ago and it was awesome!

2005 Lava Orange MSM #394
FM Intake Kit, FMIC, HKS SSQV VTA BOV(ABC 123 R2D2), Humming Aero Pedals, Speedhut boost gauge, Humming Aero front Tow Hook, Hard Dog HCM2SD, Koyo Radiator, Spal Fans in custom shroud, Joeereid intake heat shield, Humming Aero Hood Vent, ebay catless DP.
MSMzer04
Mazdspeed Miata 2004
Fifth Gear

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »

This place always makes me drool.   I'm actually pretty big into LED flashlights and HID stuff.  I could likely make my own PCB for the rears.  But its quite time consuming, it would be easier to farm it out and then remake the pattern after someone did all the leg work.   Tongue 

Anyway, Here's some A+ work.
http://www.clearcorners.com/products/mazda/nb/

I have everything needed to create this but I cannot find someone willing to let me use their oven to crack open the tailight  sad1

This guy did a pretty good job with the sequential turn signals, it's pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_H6kxTfL_g

#1923 of the '04s is under construction at:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24159.0.html
chance91
Fifth Gear

OK!

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 09:23:15 AM »

This place always makes me drool.   I'm actually pretty big into LED flashlights and HID stuff.  I could likely make my own PCB for the rears.  But its quite time consuming, it would be easier to farm it out and then remake the pattern after someone did all the leg work.   Tongue 

Anyway, Here's some A+ work.
http://www.clearcorners.com/products/mazda/nb/

I have everything needed to create this but I cannot find someone willing to let me use their oven to crack open the tailight  sad1

This guy did a pretty good job with the sequential turn signals, it's pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_H6kxTfL_g

At one point, I was going to get an oven for opening headlights/tail lights in my garage.  Decided since i only do it 1/2 dozen times a year, not worth it.  Fan in the kitchen works.

Too bad you aren't near minnesota, or you could do it with my stuff.

Is that a CCFL or LED ring?  I'd really love to do LED or CCFLs in the rear, I think the CCFL rings from the retrofit source would be fine in the tails  They are stupid, stupid bright.
*turns out its been replaced by this:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/morimoto-xb-led-angel-eyes.html#.VCUug_mSwj4

2005 MazdaSpeed Miata #927 

Join the MSM Registry!

MSMzer04
Mazdspeed Miata 2004
Fifth Gear

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 06:37:08 PM »

I have both CCFL and LEDs, I've asked people to let me borrow their oven but no one is willing to. I wouldn't use it on mine because I cook stuff in it! (Don't want any nasty chemicals in my food)

I'm going to try to work on it this weekend, hopefully I can find someone around here that can help. Otherwise I'll ship my taillight so you can open it for me lol

#1923 of the '04s is under construction at:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24159.0.html
SilverMiataRacer
Fifth Gear

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »

Try finding a powdercoater in your area and offering him a few bucks to use the oven.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
chance91
Fifth Gear

OK!

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 07:08:41 PM »

Either way, you only want about 200 to 250 degrees or you melt plastic.  I preheat it to 250, turn it off, and then put the light in for 30mins.  That's all you need to do, basically.

2005 MazdaSpeed Miata #927 

Join the MSM Registry!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: