Mazda-speed.com
February 01, 2023, 03:47:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First problem in 3 years - Help require -Video  (Read 5843 times)
wildbill
2004 Mazda MX5 SE ( Australian Mazdaspeed
Fourth Gear

« on: September 25, 2014, 04:19:17 AM »

hi all
well my first non run issued started today. kicked over the car and everthing was fine but once out the driveway and on the road the car bogged down and started missing badly. had no choice but point in back home and in the garage.
following that i

1. checked the dash -no check engine light on.
2. out with the scanner - no codes stored.
3. did a vacum check 18 on idle like always and a good rev sent it to 21 plus.

appears to be having the rough idle issue just on applying gas pedal pressure. plugs etx may be the original 10 year old ones but last time i drove it everthing was fine. below is a video i shot which may help with some answers.
thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=UUKb7DpgF-GB9ScDnbRRH7xQ&v=h0IOwMRp6tc

2004 Mazda Mx5 SE - Originally Silver prior to the Re-Spray. Adaptronic PNP ECU- Custom 3" stainless steel exhaust. Custom twistmount manifold and downpipe-Garrett GTX 2863r Turbo - Custom Clutch-Injectors -ebay intercooler  Eagle Rods and high pressure oil and petrol pump.

Dyno'd @ 301.9 RWHP
wildbill
Fourth Gear

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 05:04:11 AM »

pulled out the first plug closest to the radiator and got this - looks a bit black!

2004 Mazda Mx5 SE - Originally Silver prior to the Re-Spray. Adaptronic PNP ECU- Custom 3" stainless steel exhaust. Custom twistmount manifold and downpipe-Garrett GTX 2863r Turbo - Custom Clutch-Injectors -ebay intercooler  Eagle Rods and high pressure oil and petrol pump.

Dyno'd @ 301.9 RWHP
rstange1
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »

Check for leak between turbo and throttle body. Most common place is throttle inlet tube if OEM. Recently, I had the charge pipe that attaches to the turbo on my BEGi intake work loose after I installed it 5 years ago. I recall not being able to get a torque wrench on one of the bolts back when I installed it -- the quick bend in the pipe makes the bolt hard to deal with. Anyway, my symptoms sounded like yours -- car was running super rich and almost undrivable under load.

Best of luck!

'05 Ti MSM with: Flyin' Miata Downpipe, Midpipe, Exhaust | Hydra 2.7 ECU w/KO Racing tune | Deatschwerks 700cc Injectors | Turbosmart Manual Boost Controller | BEGi Cool Air Intake, Intercooler, Throttle Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | FCM Elite Coilovers | Racing Beat 1.125" Tubular Front Sway Bar | Whiteline Endlinks | Enkei 15x8 PF01s | Hankook 225/45 R-S3s | Hard Dog HCHTDD Roll Bar | MiataRoadster Short Shift Kit | Audiovox Cruise Control | Sylfex AuxMod | VDO Boost Gauge | ScanGauge II | BlendMount | Cocomats
wildbill
Fourth Gear

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 01:50:44 PM »

will check that area out tomorrow. never had a problem before. another thing i just thought of. i had the bonnet off the car for 3 days while i was painting it and also the front bar. i placed an old sheet over the engine bay but seeing the car was under a verandah i did have trouble with condensation from the metal roof dripping into the engine bay.

Dyno'd @ 301.9 RWHP
mr_hyde
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 10:01:59 PM »

It wouldn't hurt to change those plugs.  Focus on things that could have gotten wet with the bonnet (hood) off the car while you were working on it.

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
wildbill
Fourth Gear

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:51:58 AM »

well my plugs and leads arrived today so did a quick fit. fired up the car and all appears fine. one thing i did notice this plug which fits to the coil was a bit loose and when i tried to push it back on the coil -it would not lock into position like the other one.
maybe this connector was part of the problem and had come loose

Dyno'd @ 301.9 RWHP
sfcarbone
Third Gear

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 06:45:10 AM »

Could be.  What's with that oil cap?
Nevyn72
Third Gear

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 06:54:45 AM »

Could be.  What's with that oil cap?

Unfortunately that's we got supplied from Mazda down here in Australia...... angry9
chance91
Fifth Gear

OK!

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »

Sacrilege. 

The iridum plugs on my car went at 50k, I don't think they last quite as long as they claim.  I'd been on NGK Coppers every 10k since and it worked well for me.  Never changed the Leads though, didn't figure they would wear that bad.

Like others mentioned, I always had issues blowing intake pipes off the car, so keep an eye on that.  Hair spray on the pieces when you put them together really does help keep things sticking together better.  I think that is one of SMRs old tricks.

2005 MazdaSpeed Miata #927 

Join the MSM Registry!

wildbill
Fourth Gear

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 11:48:22 AM »

here in australia anything with the word speed was removed from the car except the chrome exhaust outlet - government rules. still got to keep the word MAZDA...lol

Dyno'd @ 301.9 RWHP
wildbill
Fourth Gear

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »

although i still run mazdaspeed on the car....lol

Dyno'd @ 301.9 RWHP
2004 msm
Fifth Gear

boost for life!

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »

although i still run mazdaspeed on the car....lol

afro

2004 VRM MSM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: