Mazda-speed.com
April 22, 2021, 10:49:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: thejeans 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #3693  (Read 53648 times)
thejeans
Third Gear

« on: November 08, 2014, 12:20:20 AM »

Around Easter of 2014 i bought a "new to me" 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 #3693
GT Package
Flyin' Miata - FM2 Kit
Hydra Nemesis
FM Level 2 Clutch and 10.3lb Flywheel
HardDog Sport M2 Roll Bar
and a whole bunch of other goodies that i dont feel like typing at this present moment haha

thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 12:21:39 AM »

a week after buying the car, I spun a bearing on Easter (we are guessing due to low oil from an unknown at the time blown rear main seal).
It set in my garage for a several months while i figured out what to do, but in July i started the rebuild....
i decided to just replace the bearings and try to get it back on the road this summer so i can atleast hit one or two autocrosses and learn the dynamics of the car, a full blown rebuild with forged internals may happen down the road but for right now its just not in the budget.

got the engine out and found the rear main was shot, the clutch and flywheel were about shot, so they got added to the list for replacement.
I have a FM level 2 Happy Meal Clutch kit with 10.3lb flywheel on its way, should be here Monday

once the motor was on the stand i started to tear it down

the damage....

Crank was still good, little dirty but no damage...

put the new bearings in, polished the crank and she was ready to start going back together (yes everthing was measured and checked, i just dont have pics of any of that stuff haha"

thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »

decided while im waiting on a few parts to come in, i would put the stock belts back in to give me the option of harnesses or oem seatbelts, mainly because harnesses arent technically legal in PA, but it also it allows easier use if i just want to go for a little stroll in the car, i kept the harnesses in for when autocrossing.
and while doing that i decided to do the foamectomy to the drivers side seat

I decided to cut straight across the bottom of the "seam" between the bolsters and the middle, took an 1-1.5" out and it seems much improved so far definitely lowered me in the car a little which being 6-1 ill take all i can get haha

the finished product, cant really tell too much from looking at it that i took much out but i could tell the difference when sitting in the seat

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:23:29 AM by thejeans » Logged
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 12:22:58 AM »

Well this past weekend started the "get the miata back up and running" part of the whole phase

The motor is as buttoned up as can be and ready to go in the car

Almost there!

Got the motor in finally Saturday evening, put the hood back on and figured id start fresh sunday with all the electrical stuff, and reinstalling everything else

Got almost everything hooked up, there are some electrical gremlins that wont allow the car to start right yet BUT its close! just hope i can figure out what it is soon cause ive been aching to drive this car since it broke over Easter...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:28:48 AM by thejeans » Logged
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 12:24:16 AM »

SHES ALIVE!!!!!

First start - YouTube

this car is a bit of a rough start normally but that was only enhanced by this first start... ill get all that figured out in due time but for now, she runs!!!!!
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 12:25:32 AM »

little weekend update...
new Coil packs came in Saturday, installed them and proceeded to take the car for a drive. it idles better and runs a good bit better as well, still something slightly off on the car BUT the coils drastically improved the car, could just be the gas at this point (its set since Easter and thats still crappy winter blend time in PA haha)

got the laptop set up yesterday to connect and monitor stuff on the Hydra, looking forward to learning more with that and seeing what its capable of.

So far the car has gotten 50 miles on the new motor and as long as there isnt too much rain this week ill drive it as much as i can to get some miles on the rebuild.

also tore into the dash and pulled a couple dummy lights out of the gauge cluster that no longer needed to be there to keep them from flashing at me.

did a little restoration on the plastic cover of the cluster, looked like Armor_All got sprayed on it and never cleaned off and as a result always looked dirty. wet sanding with 1000-3000 grit took care of all that with a light polish to finish the job.

the final product

After that i wanted to start working on a way to clear up a little more room, i started toying with the idea of removing the door handle and seeing what for leg room i could gain. I gained a solid inch of leg room without the door handle and that got me digging on here where i found a writeup where the guy used NA door tops and fabbed up his own door cards with ABS Plastic in his 10AE, i think that will be the next step for me, Id like the added room and i think his actually looks really good as well.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:28:04 AM by thejeans » Logged
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 12:30:32 AM »

Nice work. Where in PA? I'm a fellow Pennsylvanian. Trying to organize a meet in the Spring.

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 03:13:44 AM »

He's out by Pittsburgh. Hopefully he'll be in this spring for Ken to tune him though. We have an autox grunge match to attend to!

FM Big Enchilada, 15x9 6UL with 225/45 BFG Rivals
Nevyn72
Third Gear

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 03:30:52 AM »

What are those wheels you have got on this car?
Size/offset?

thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »

Nice work. Where in PA? I'm a fellow Pennsylvanian. Trying to organize a meet in the Spring.

He's out by Pittsburgh. Hopefully he'll be in this spring for Ken to tune him though. We have an autox grunge match to attend to!

Like Shawn said, I live on the other side of the state in the Pittsburgh Area, I plan to get the miata out to Ken this spring for him to tune it and as long as work allows im game for a roadtrip for a meet haha

What are those wheels you have got on this car?
Size/offset?

all i know is they are 5zigen wheels, 16x7 and roughly a 40 offset. they came on the car when i bought it.  i will hopefully be replacing them spring with a set of 15x9 wheels (still unsure whether to go for 6ul's, TRM C3m's or something else)
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 06:59:58 PM »

wheels (jongbloed Aero 500, bronze, 15x9s) and a handful of other parts came in yesterday, im pretty excited to get tires and see these on the car.

thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 07:50:21 PM »

Since the rebuild last year i had been struggling to fix a misfire that i just couldnt track down, well i found what i thought was the issue over the winter and tore into the car to replace the damaged Timing wheel. I have no doubts that this was the major cause for the misfire

new timing wheel is in and the misfire is substantially decreased.
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »

not a fancy update but an update none the less haha

plastidipped the hardtop latches to see if i liked them black, plan will be to get them powdercoated matte black down the road.

started pulling all the emblems, I am bleaching the front and rear mazda logos and then painting them black. a few pics of during and after all the tape residue removal

After all that i decided to start cleaning and polishing the stock radiator cowl cause it was filthy. you can see the during and and after in these pics

thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 12:55:11 PM »

Painted the heat shield for the intake black, did some serious scrubbing/cleaning in the engine bay and sanded all the side markers smooth so that they look good with the tint film I'm going to put on them. With the car down while the headlights are getting blacked out I've killed time tinkering with little things the past few nights

2 days down on the bleaching, i think another day should have them ready to be prepped for paint
humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »

does the bleach just eat away the "chrome" and leave the plastic?

2005 Lava Orange MSM #394
FM Intake Kit, FMIC, HKS SSQV VTA BOV(ABC 123 R2D2), Humming Aero Pedals, Speedhut boost gauge, Humming Aero front Tow Hook, Hard Dog HCM2SD, Koyo Radiator, Spal Fans in custom shroud, Joeereid intake heat shield, Humming Aero Hood Vent, ebay catless DP.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: