Mazda-speed.com
December 01, 2021, 05:36:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: thejeans 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #3693  (Read 61914 times)
darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2015, 05:57:28 AM »

Hey what can I say, I like the obnoxiousness. You have a nice amount of work to do this winter but I can't wait to drive it again once it's tuned properly

FM Big Enchilada, 15x9 6UL with 225/45 BFG Rivals
sfcarbone
Third Gear

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2015, 06:16:51 PM »

I don't really understand why the trend is to paint engine compartments black.  Drop a bolt or tool and it is GONE.  My engine builder prefers White for that reason.
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2015, 07:23:47 PM »

I don't really understand why the trend is to paint engine compartments black.  Drop a bolt or tool and it is GONE.  My engine builder prefers White for that reason.

As someone with a black mica car... I can agree with this.  rolleyes I can't count how many times I've left a socket or bolt or something in the engine bay, only to hear it fly out from under the car 5 seconds after getting down the street.

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »

I don't really understand why the trend is to paint engine compartments black.  Drop a bolt or tool and it is GONE.  My engine builder prefers White for that reason.

As someone with a black mica car... I can agree with this.  rolleyes I can't count how many times I've left a socket or bolt or something in the engine bay, only to hear it fly out from under the car 5 seconds after getting down the street.

Every car I've ever owned before the Miata was either black, dark gray or dark blue. the longest in that stretch was a Black Mica Mz3 that was one of the more heavily modded N/A setups when first gens came out.
I've never really had an issue losing tools in dark engine bays. I've lost a bunch of bolts but that's more because they land somewhere on the subframe and i cant get my hands back to grab them haha.
Since I've bought the car, its never had the splash shield on it. If i drop something its more than likely falling through to the ground with the miata
The one guy helping me build the motor has a shop and in return for his help i will be putting the car in a few shows at his stand/tent/booth. The matte black bay will make all the red and polished pieces under the hood really stand out and "pop" for show purposes.
I personally don't care what color the bay is, im building the car to become an autocross/track slut haha
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:30:21 PM by thejeans » Logged
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2015, 01:25:22 AM »

planning a bunch of things for the miata this winter... should be fun!

NA door cards that i will retrofit onto the car.
going to move/relocate and add gauges.
planning the rebuild of the motor this winter with forged internals
want to track down another 6 speed as the previous owner broke 2nd gear and proceeded to swap an NA 5 speed into the car.
planning to order the NC Singular hood Vents and get those onto the hood
Vinyl wrapping the windshield frame Matte Black
while the motor is out, im planning to paint the engine bay Matte black, and clean up alot of the wires/hoses (partial wire tuck)
had the heatercore blow out on me and would like to replace that. while i have the entire interior ripped out ill look to shed a bit of weight where i can and probably do a bit of heat control around the drivers footwell
gotta bake open and repaint the headlight since one got trashed from the accident.
Install my vented wing windows
also trading my "custom" 3" straight piped exhaust for the 3" FM exhaust. i want something a little less obnoxious and a buddy of mine wants something more obnoxious for his hill climb car.

Ill try my best to take pics while the whole thing goes down. Once its all broke in ill be making the trip in the spring to the eastern side of PA for Ken Hill to tune the car and of course Dyno sheets will follow getting the tune
Ken is an awesome tuner and an overall great guy. He's done lots of work on my car (2 tuning sessions and 1 wiring job) and I can't say enough great things. You won't regret the trip out there, probably the same distance for you as me. Maybe when you're up there, I'll take a ride out.

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
2004 msm
Fifth Gear

boost for life!

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »

Dude, I'm swapping out my 6 speed, you can own it cheap if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 VRM MSM
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »

Ken is an awesome tuner and an overall great guy. He's done lots of work on my car (2 tuning sessions and 1 wiring job) and I can't say enough great things. You won't regret the trip out there, probably the same distance for you as me. Maybe when you're up there, I'll take a ride out.

heck yea man, i know that Shawn (darkcambria) will likely be around im out there. Hes helped me do a good bit to the car and we are both friends with the previous owner and always wanted this car to reach its fullest potential.

Dude, I'm swapping out my 6 speed, you can own it cheap if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM sent
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2015, 02:56:28 PM »

well the list of things to do grew this week.
got offered a hell of a deal on a FM cross flow rad, and airflow fan setup. got SS brake lines and hood props as well.
looks like im going to have to add the coolant reroute to maximize the upgrade.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2015, 03:40:07 PM »

well the list of things to do grew this week.
got offered a hell of a deal on a FM cross flow rad, and airflow fan setup. got SS brake lines and hood props as well.
looks like im going to have to add the coolant reroute to maximize the upgrade.

You need to do some checking on that with those that have done the reroute.  I beleive the last thinking is with the OEM headgasket don't do it.  Read and ask first.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2015, 03:52:44 PM »

You need to do some checking on that with those that have done the reroute.  I beleive the last thinking is with the OEM headgasket don't do it.  Read and ask first.

I appreciate the heads up but from what I've read the 01-05 head gasket was designed to alleviate the cooling issues but it still doesn't do as well as the reroute.
I know the 01-05 head gasket doesn't work too well with the reroute and the 94-00 "BP26" head gasket is suggested. Since I'm ripping the motor apart to forge the bottom end this winter, it wont be too hard to swap head gaskets at that time to try to help maximize the efficiency in cooling.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:56:15 PM by thejeans » Logged
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2015, 04:16:05 PM »

That's a different story than I got the radiator and need the cooling kit to get the most from it!   thumup

Larry

Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2015, 04:39:53 PM »

That's a different story than I got the radiator and need the cooling kit to get the most from it!   thumup

haha sorry should have worded that better.
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2015, 02:40:21 PM »

Before people said you basically HAD to change the headgasket with the re-route. Now people are saying that it's only recommended. If your head is off anyway, swap in the thicker FM headgasket and you  never have to worry. Can't hurt to de-compress a bit either Wink

This is the one I am using
https://www.flyinmiata.com/1994-00-40-thousand-metal-head-gasket.html

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »

Got the vented wing windows installed yesterday

also got around to building my own LED Blanking Plates, wired them up to the map lights to make the car alot nicer to get into (excuse the potato quality photos, i promise i will get better pics of them soon)

SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2015, 07:31:29 PM »

I'm sorry but I have to ask.  Why would you put vent windows in a convertible.  And again I'm sorry but those are really nasty looking to me.  JMHO

Larry

– Ernest Hemingway
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: