Mazda-speed.com
April 19, 2019, 09:32:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fab9 Intercooler (FMIC) install  (Read 8883 times)
retooferab
Fourth Gear

2004 VR GT

« on: November 27, 2014, 01:42:55 AM »

Got a deal on pre-owned, un-used, fab9 intercooler from teeone, free advice from ozbrock, and "stuff" from Silicone Intakes...

Disassembled per millsj's excellent write-up here:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,25097.0.html

I took off the whole plastic under-tray, since I was re-plumbin/replacing the hardpipes.

Front of car is now over there!

Old stuff.  This might help when visualizing your new plumbing; needs to follow this path fairly closely.

For getting these power steering hard lines up out of the way, I removed the brackets they were attached to, then bolted their mounting points in the hole the brackets came out of.  I put a hard rubber washer behind the brackets.

There they both are.  I brain-farted the washer on the close one here, but fixed it later to put the washer behind the bracket.  Geez, haha.  This is looking up from below.  You can see they are held higher than when they were mounted on the brackets.

Hung the fab9 IC in place.  Still had my bolts and baby teeth in a bin, so employed one of the original bolts on each side to hold it (very) securely in place.

Driver's side is fairly simple.  It's outside the plastic tray.  From top to IC, I used a silicone 1.75" to 2.5" + 90* 2.5" aluminum pipe + 2.5" silicone coupler.  I cut down a 2' pipe.  The angle isn't quite right out the top, and it ended up right against my fog light (trimmed the housing).  If I do it again, I'll probably adjust the angles a little.  It works as-is, though.

Passenger side is a little tougher, with more angles and having to go through the plastic under-tray.  I ordered parts based on what Lokiel did here:  
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,30052.msg325952.html#msg325952

I have Joe's intake, so this side goes from IC to re-located MAF: 2.5" silicone coupler + 2.5" J shaped aluminum pipe + 45* 2.5" silicone elbow + 2.5" 90* aluminum pipe + 2.5" silicone coupler.  For the aluminum on this side, I bought a U-shaped piece and cut it to the sizes I needed.

This was a little intimidating, getting it around the bend, through the hole, under the sway bar...

Old/new

Cheesin'

I was able to re-assemble all the plastic, except I cut a bigger hole to fit new plumbing through.  I needed to use some different connectors right under the IC since I could no longer fit/reach bolts through the holes.

Bonus...
Wolo bad boy air horn hanging from under headlights.  I tapped one of the mounting holes for plastic thingie, but it felt too flimsy to hang the horn from so I loosened the headlight assembly and put a nut on top.  The random wire in some previous shots was the horn.  I didn't want it hanging in front of any radiators, or cluttering the engine compartment so put it here.

I've only driven it far enough to warm up and see that it holds boost.  Anxious to see if plumbing settles up against anything.  It is close to fog light on driver's side, and nearly touching the sway bar mount on passenger side.

Here's the shopping list I used at Silicone Intakes:
1 x 2' Mandrel Bent Aluminum 180 Bend, 2.5" (SIL000691) = $16.99
6 x T-Bolt Clamp for 2.5" Silicone Parts (CLA000102) = $15.60
2 x 2.5" Silicone Straight Coupler, Black (SIL000615) = $11.98
1 x 2.5" Silicone 45 Elbow, Black (SIL000024) = $16.99
1 x 2.5" Silicone Straight Coupler, Black (SIL000615) = $5.99
1 x Silicone Reducer, 2.5" to 1.75" - Red (SIL000544) = $9.99
1 x 2' Mandrel Bent Aluminum 90 Bend, 2.5" (SIL000698) = $16.99
3 x T-Bolt Clamp for 2.5" Silicone Parts (CLA000102) = $7.80
1 x T-Bolt Clamp for 1.75" Silicone Parts (CLA000107) = $2.60
Ended up with a few straight pieces left over after the cuts.
Next time I'd have something besides a hack saw to cut with so I wasn't so averse to fine-tuning the angles of aluminum pipe.

Please ask questions and make suggestions.  Hope this helps someone!   afro
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:46:10 AM by retooferab » Logged

#2202 created 3-30-2004 JM1NB354740407347
FM crossflow radiator, Joe's Intake/MAF Relocation, fab9 intercooler, Osidetiger 330 injectors, FM downpipe/midpipe/exhaust, FM Happy Meal (Level 1 clutch kit w/ 10.3 lb flywheel), SS clutch line (949), Miata Roadster SSK, Kosei K4R 15x8, BFG Rival 225/45, '95MSM boost gauge install (SpeedHut in place of oil pressure gauge), Oil pressure warning light, Linear temp gauge mod, independent foglights, cowl mounted washer bottle.
Fab9
Sponsor
Second Gear

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:34:52 PM »

Looks great - To add to this topic - We have MSM install kits now to adapt the factory pipes.

http://fab9tuning.com/msm-to-fab9tuning-intercooler-adapter-kit/

www.Fab9Tuning.com - Mazda Performance Products - Unbeatable Pricing
ozbrock
Japanese General Lee
Fourth Gear

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:15:12 PM »

Its about time you recognized this fitment issue and came up with a solution for it.  Props.

'05 LO #816, Joe's intake @ 10psi, Ebay 2.5" DP, FM 2.5" mid/rear exhaust, Fab9 350hp IC, 37mm Koyo, FM check valve, FrankB's washer fluid tank, Porterfield R4S pads with Centric blanks, MR short shifter w/extension, 320mm MOMO Monte Carlo, Daikei/Boss hub, HDHCDDHT, Tein Flex 9kg/7kg, 15x9" TRM c3m, 245/40r15 Maxxis RC-1, Garagestar front fender braces, Singular hood louvers, 8" Clearwater components
2004 msm
Fifth Gear

boost for life!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 11:17:19 AM »

Ya, just wished I had this for my install 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 VRM MSM
Pugzilla
Third Gear

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 04:02:48 AM »

This is a great write up, if you guys had no plans to move to a custom ECU and was aiming for Little Enchillada, would you get this or FM intercooler? This is much cheaper and actually looks like higher build quality. I also like how you can get it in black Cheesy What you guys think?
retooferab
Fourth Gear

2004 VR GT

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 06:33:48 AM »

This is a great write up, if you guys had no plans to move to a custom ECU and was aiming for Little Enchillada, would you get this or FM intercooler? This is much cheaper and actually looks like higher build quality. I also like how you can get it in black Cheesy What you guys think?

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. 

My set-up is holding up fine with many miles in all sorts of weather.  Tonight I trimmed the plastic undertray to make hole a little bigger on passenger side (tray was wearing a cut into the silicone where it went through), and also shoved some foam between the driver's side and my fog light housing (which seemed even closer than when I first installed).  I just installed the MF crossflow radiator and slightly adjusted cold side and Joe's intake.  All works though!  afro

#2202 created 3-30-2004 JM1NB354740407347
FM crossflow radiator, Joe's Intake/MAF Relocation, fab9 intercooler, Osidetiger 330 injectors, FM downpipe/midpipe/exhaust, FM Happy Meal (Level 1 clutch kit w/ 10.3 lb flywheel), SS clutch line (949), Miata Roadster SSK, Kosei K4R 15x8, BFG Rival 225/45, '95MSM boost gauge install (SpeedHut in place of oil pressure gauge), Oil pressure warning light, Linear temp gauge mod, independent foglights, cowl mounted washer bottle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: