Mazda-speed.com
April 02, 2020, 11:08:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting MSM springs  (Read 4183 times)
Jae
Fifth Gear

« on: February 06, 2005, 12:21:40 AM »

Has anyone considered cutting the MSM springs by 1/2 a coil to lower the car a bit (and increase spring rate 10% or so).  I think this change would only be good but any thoughts?

'04 Ti - Sold!
rx7gslse
Mmmm Beer....
Fifth Gear

Will work for parts!

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 12:38:18 AM »

maybe someone considered it, but its not a good idea...

A) cutting the spring does *not* effect the spring rate, just the travel.
B) The miata is severely limited in suspension travel to start with, so any cutting on the springs will only worsen that..  You'll probably be riding on the bump stops more often that you'd like.  That and if you bottom out the dampers, that's really bad for them Wink

1984 GSL-SE - Baby popped her Wanklel Sad
1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
'04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun Cheesy[/b]

How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??
miatajim
Southington, CT Mazda-speed.com founder.
Fifth Gear

Mazda-Speed.com Founder.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 01:37:12 AM »

^^^ what he said, not a good idea. It used to be sort of half ass ok on some cars with 2-3-4 inches of travel. We have inch, inch 3/4 to play with. Jim

04 VR Mods FM LE KIT, GFB VTA, HID's, Nexus 7 in dash, Rotationally Molded Sub(4) Box, RF Amp 100x4, Polk door speakers, Running remote mod, HDHCDD RB, A-piller Temp/Boost gauges.
Jae
Fifth Gear

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 10:14:25 PM »

I posted this question after reading Herb Adams' book "Chassis Engineering".  In the spings section, Adams indicates that cutting the sping 1/2 a coil  would increase spring rate (pg 33 for those with the book).  Also, it seems the drop in height should only be minimal for only 1/2 coil in any case.  Don't get me wrong, I plan to save up for Tien coilovers but thought it would be good to ask the question anyway.  Thanks for the feedback, I do tend to agree.

'04 Ti - Sold!
04VRMSMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 05:26:47 PM »

You are correct. Cutting the 'wire' does change the spring rate. The problem is it's difficult to determine how much lowering or spring rate change you will get by cutting a particular amount. It depends on the diameter and overall length of the wire, as well as how tight the winding is.

Eric
jersey_emt
www.mazdateam.org
Third Gear

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 07:06:10 AM »

Cutting springs is a half-assed way of lowering a car. My advice is to continue saving for the coilovers and stick with stock until you get them.

matt
Fifth Gear

moo?

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 05:21:53 PM »

Cutting springs is a half-assed way of lowering a car

I beg to differ.  If that were true, why would all the guys with Civics do it? Grin

matt

FM DP, FM MBC, FM Intake (stock DV, oopsy)
ilblissli
poker player
Fifth Gear

wake up with the king

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 05:29:39 PM »

I beg to differ. If that were true, why would all the guys with Civics do it? Grin

(2004 VR) FM DP, FM Intake and throttle body pipe, Turbo XS RFL BOV, Hallman PRO MBC, Enthuza XR exhaust, Hardog M2 Rollbar, Speedhut Boost Gauge and Epod, Mazdaspeed valvestem caps and license plate frame
miatajim
Southington, CT Mazda-speed.com founder.
Fifth Gear

Mazda-Speed.com Founder.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 06:07:27 PM »

I beg to differ. If that were true, why would all the guys with Civics do it? Grin

Cause Mom gave them the car and they have no $$$ for new springs Smiley

04 VR Mods FM LE KIT, GFB VTA, HID's, Nexus 7 in dash, Rotationally Molded Sub(4) Box, RF Amp 100x4, Polk door speakers, Running remote mod, HDHCDD RB, A-piller Temp/Boost gauges.
04VRMSMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 03:13:06 PM »

You're kidding right? Why do they put those big ass spoilers and loud mufflers on them? Seriously, Even if the characteristics of Civic springs lend themselves to cutting, it doesn't mean the MSM springs will. Because everyone else does, is never a good reason to do something.

Eric
TasDev68
Second Gear

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 05:35:14 AM »

It is amazing what one can create with an open mind, basic questioning, some engineering knowledge, mechanical skills, a few materials and tools.

The best solutions may not always come out of a box, with current fad brand name, from your friendly UPS truck.......Roger

Tas Dev Racing.....Cincinnati
speedj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 05:48:15 PM »

It'd be hard to cut them and be sure that you had equal spring rates and equal ride heights when you were through.  You might end up with messed up corner weights.

If you're going to do it anyway, then make sure to trim them with a chop saw and not a cutting torch, as the heat will alter the wire.  Cut them as equally as you can and then take them to a race shop to measure the rate to insure that they are reasonably matched (within 25# or less). If you've got one that's a higher rate then put it at the LF or RR. 

Also be sure to measure the rod travel at ride height to make sure you've got adequate room between your shock body and bumpstop.  You'll probably need 5/8" or more clearance. You can trim off some if you need to but not so much that the shock rod bottoms in the tube or it'll ruin the shock.  A decent way to measure the shock rod travel is to put an o-ring or small zip-tie around the rod...drive around and then look to see how far the zip-tie has been pushed onto the rod.

You might realign afterwards.  The toe will be off.  It will have a bit more negative camber.  Your caster will still be even.  Don't worry about messing up the bumpsteer curves.  The rear curve is uneffected with moderate lowering and the front curve only gets tweaked into a bit of toe out on bump when lowered, which is acceptable.  If you want to correct for this, then you'll need to move the rack down about 1/4" or move the lower tie rod location up approx 1/8".  I understand that a certain year of Maita had a tie rod end that corrected for this...an "R" model?

Good luck in your efforts at hacking and defiling this nicely crafted suspension.   BC
04VRMSMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 06:16:05 PM »

It'd be hard to cut them and be sure that you had equal spring rates and equal ride heights when you were through. You might end up with messed up corner weights.

If you're going to do it anyway, then make sure to trim them with a chop saw and not a cutting torch, as the heat will alter the wire. Cut them as equally as you can and then take them to a race shop to measure the rate to insure that they are reasonably matched (within 25# or less). If you've got one that's a higher rate then put it at the LF or RR.

Also be sure to measure the rod travel at ride height to make sure you've got adequate room between your shock body and bumpstop. You'll probably need 5/8" or more clearance. You can trim off some if you need to but not so much that the shock rod bottoms in the tube or it'll ruin the shock. A decent way to measure the shock rod travel is to put an o-ring or small zip-tie around the rod...drive around and then look to see how far the zip-tie has been pushed onto the rod.

You might realign afterwards. The toe will be off. It will have a bit more negative camber. Your caster will still be even. Don't worry about messing up the bumpsteer curves. The rear curve is uneffected with moderate lowering and the front curve only gets tweaked into a bit of toe out on bump when lowered, which is acceptable. If you want to correct for this, then you'll need to move the rack down about 1/4" or move the lower tie rod location up approx 1/8". I understand that a certain year of Maita had a tie rod end that corrected for this...an "R" model?

Good luck in your efforts at hacking and defiling this nicely crafted suspension. BC

So well stated.  rock

Eric
MiataSpeedster
Fourth Gear

S2000 Killer

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 10:03:35 PM »

i bought the racing beat street springs, lowers a inch on the front, and .75 in back,  uglystupid2 so i said "f*** this", im cutting off 3/4 of the 1st coil on the back, rides nice, corners nice, and looks nice too, not bad for $160 afro, but if u have the money for the real deal, i'd go for a full setup

2004 MX-5 Mazdaspeed NO BOOST CUT | AEM SRI | Turbo XS RFL w/ Custom Hardpipe | Apexi Custom Exhaust Catless w/ Custom Downpipe | Blitz SBC I-D 3 Boost Controller | Blitz Turbo Timer | Evo Intercooler | H&R Springs | Bride Pro Racing Seat | FM O2 Clamp
baco99
Fifth Gear

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 01:01:03 AM »

save your money and get some real springs, cutting ain't the solution.

Former owner: 2005 MazdaSpeed MX-5 GT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: