Mazda-speed.com
April 22, 2021, 10:18:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Me and my Aero  (Read 42681 times)
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2016, 04:44:19 PM »

Thanks Mark, I'll look into that T-6. Maybe changing the intersection to interlocking notch joints (dados) would help as well. My design has the forward splaying pieces oriented to skate past the ends of the stock chin spoiler and the intersection is right about where it needs to be the strongest. Oh well, back to the drawing board....

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »

Off the jack stands and out for a little parking lot test. Came out @ 3/4 of an inch lower than I had "planned", but I can still raise it up @ 1/2" or so it think. Have to make sure the front is lower than the back "angle-wise". Still have to check the road clearance of the static board which I plan to do tomorrow AM, when there's no traffic...don't want someone behind me running over it if it falls off.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:10:13 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »

Just returned from the proving grounds and seems to have passed the "worst case scenario". tests. Plus it didn't fall off at 80 MPH...which is good. These tests were performed at the same location I tested the initial design mockup, which was a bit lower but didn't protrude forward quite as much, so I did have have some doubts as to how it would go today. Should be fine for most roadways/highway/freeway driving....now if I can just get it on and off the Ferry to The Ridge....

Here's the car with the front elements removed. It takes @ 4 minutes to install/remove the elements and support rods with all the stuff right there in front of the car, so I figure is @ a 10 minute project at the track.

Worst case scenario #1, dead-on approach. It clears with @3/8" to spare. I normally avoid these conditions anyway.

The Goodman Racing test ramp. I discovered a couple of the local shops use this driveway for this exact purpose. The stock nose was gonna hit anyway. The board can deflect upwards @ 1/2" before it contacts the chin splitter thanks to adjustable support rod design. The Epoxy Coated Birch does an excellent of transmitting the scraping sounds to the chassis via the M6 bolts at the rear of the under tray. Again, I would never voluntarily approach these conditions head-on anyway, clears at an angle-approach however

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:10:49 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

HELLIONMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2016, 07:46:01 PM »

i haven't been on in a long time. i a, glad i came on today. sick in bed and stumbled upon this.

one question, why not use the tie down (baby teeth) to hold the front splitter on instead of the underside of the front bumper? is it going into something else?

formerly hiddenmazda... Thanks to Gary, I'm not hidden anymore!
2005 MSM #1153 a.k.a Blackout
konig feathers Black 12.4lbs/205/50/15 kumho asx/custom 3" Enthuza XR/custom 2.5" - 3" enthuza midpipe/black razr grill from the grill guy/20% tint all around including windshield/sun visor delete/cool breeze scoop/"baby Teeth" delete/Dragon tattoos (from the 3 trips to MATG 13,14,and 15)/drilled and slotted rotors/PBR/Axxis Metal Master(XBG)/black decepticon tire valves/FMDP/Mako Shark Teeth/plastidip blacked out emblems, Joe's Maf reloc kit+MBC, fab9 COPs, eBay FMIC, carbonmiata silicon hoses, led foglights, aux in mod. FM stage2 fans, Koyo 37mm radiator. CHEVYSPEED-MSM/W LSX V8 (1 DAY)
CUSTOM NB CENTER CONSOLE PLATES
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,30085.msg339245/topicseen.html#msg339245
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2016, 08:12:58 PM »

Baby teeth are long gone. Removed for a tow hook and a high-flow mesh grill back in 2006. Not sure they would work anyway, you need a point high +forward for support rod geometry to clear the lower part of the snout and reach the main plane, hence my huge aluminum "M" upper snout adapter plate.

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2016, 08:56:26 PM »

Looks very promising!  How/where is the rear of the splitter attached?

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2016, 09:51:18 PM »

Looks very promising!  How/where is the rear of the splitter attached?
Same place as yours, two m6 bolts that hold the under tray on, by the "vents".

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2016, 03:20:24 AM »

I have been using nylon bolts there. Those tabs bend very easily if you bonk the splitter on something. I originally had metal bolts and had to bend the tabs back with a hammer after encounters with my ramp extensions. My extensions are wooden steps.  That being said, I broke both nylon bolts at the last event and lost one of my pcv spacers.  Surprisingly, the splitter is still very secure with both rear bolts missing.

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2016, 07:13:35 AM »

I'm running a 4-point mount, which is what I thought you had as well. The 2 drop rods at the front and the 2 M6 at the rear.  Do you have another mount point I somehow missed, other than your Canard/spat attachments? I'm not running any spacers at the rear. I notched around the vents to get the board up as high as possible and preserve as much rake as I can. I leveled the car and read the board rake after testing and I'' at @ 1 deg down at the front
 It's going up  on the alignment rack at a buddy's race shop soon and we'll be taking a look at possibly adding some nutserts to the frame somewhere. He loaned me the tool but the car wasn't high enough to get it in there. I'm more of the mind that I'd rather have the thing mounted so strongly that it digs in like a shovel blade or disintegrates rather than coming loose and breaking away at the slightest "nudge". I thought briefly about the "jamming it into the front of the crossmember" method but i would have to ditch the undertray for that application and I didn't want to change the "known" cooling matrix until I can see what, if any, changes the splitter itself may/may not have on the cooling.
Just curious, what are you pinch weld heights?  I'm at 4.75" front/ 5~5.125 Rear. I was a little higher (@ 3/8") when I was running the 17's but lost some height when I went to the 15"/Nittos setup. I've also probably got a little spring sag on my 3 year old 750/400 Hypercos. I had to add 7/16" bump stop shim at he front to keep the Nittos away from the liners. Thinking about possibly upping my spring rate all around but will wait to see what the rack says.
  I know that you are running spacers at the rear but when I tried that the back was lower than the front so I had to notch out the vents to get it up higher. You must have a higher ride height or your splitter is way lower than mine. With my front elements installed I only have @ 3.25" clearance Front/center.

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2016, 07:26:13 AM »

OK...next, seeing as how reducing underhood pressure could potentially reduce lift, hood vents should qualify as Aero, correct? So the question is, will allowing the hot underhood air to exit the hood in front of my FM AIRBOX, just send the heat to the base of the windshield, only to be sucked into the intake? If so ...that sucks.

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »

You are correct that I am running 4 attachment points.  The two drop rods and then the two attachment points in the rear by the vents.  I've gone back and forth (as well as many in the aero threads) about which is better-breakaway or rigid mounting.  Bad things can happen with either arrangement, so just keep it on the track.   Grin

I'll have to check my pinch heights, but I think I am about 12.5"f/12.75"r fender to center of rim.  I might be .25" lower, but I don't remember.  I have the 17" rims on at the moment, but will measure today.  Of course it it will be lower with the Nitto's.  My spiltter was originally set at 3" from the ground to the bottom of the splitter.  This seemed like a good height and it was easy to measure with (2) 2"x4" boards stacked.  Call it a height of convenience.  It was about .25" lower at the last event and that is too low with my set-up. 

I forgot....are you running an oil cooler and if so, where is it?

I had to laugh at your vented hood question.  Nothing like fixing one problem to complicate another one.  My guess is that the the hot air escaping would mix with ambient air and not make much of a difference.  IAT's might be elevated a little, but I bet it isn't much.  Maybe you could engineer come way for the hot air to be channeled away from your intake box as it escapes.   afro

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2016, 01:00:16 AM »

No, I'm not running an oil cooler. I've only had two major "offs" so far. My first was as a passenger (see Avatar) on my very first day of track driving at Thunderhill. My second was at Infineon when I mowed @200' of dandelions coming down from the top of the hill, so I've had a pretty good run of luck....so far.
One more little splitter installation mod and major progress on the hood vents.

Homemade SEMS bolts with custom Knurling for extra grip. These are what attach the front elements. Washer is tapped so it threads on, keeps all the bits together but kinda hard to grip/turn with my fingers, hence, the knurling.

Used a laser to mark the Centerline and the post radiator location for measuring/layout ref. points. The "tool" with the pencils in it was used to transfer the bracing layout to the top of the hood.

Used the FM hood pressure data and gridded out the top of the hood. Front edge of the louvers was placed right along the post-radiator line. This location keeps the rear outer corner of the louvers from running up against the upward contour of the hood.

I drilled and bolted thru the rivet holes as I did not want to have to do this step on a newly painted hood

Unfortunately the bracing is in pretty much the exact wrong place. This is the bracing you would have to remove for the Singular vents, because they protrude below the plane of the hood and usually are mounted from below. I chose the RunCools because they sit above the hood and I prefer the retro look.. Simple matter of "Swiss Cheesing" the bracing for airflow. Not quite the same airflow #'s the Singulars have but better than nothing. Not really keen on cutting out all that bracing.

All cut, drilled, de-burred and ready to prep for painting. Gonna send this out to a professional, learned my lesson on the trunk lid...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:12:35 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2016, 03:33:36 AM »

Looks good. I actually looked at the local salvage yard today for a spare hood. I'd be good to go if I had an NA. Oh well.  Keep the pics coming of the vents.

m3fan4ever
Third Gear

« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2016, 02:27:34 PM »

Why not install the hood vents and have them painted with the hood?

2004 MSM Ti GT #1796 - Purchased 12/13
Flyin' Miata "Little Enchilada"; Flyin' Miata "Happy Meal" (10.3 lb flywheel); 15x7 Advanti Storm S1, Dunlop Direzza DZ102; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; Hawk HPS Brake Pads; Mazda Competition Motor Mounts; MiataRoadster Tall Angled Short Shifter Kit, VMS Racing Type-R Shift Knob; KOYO Hyper-V 36mm Radiator; Autometer Boost Gauge, Linear Water Temp Gauge Mod, Oil Pressure Light Mod; Xentec HID Conversion - 6000K 55W; Plastidipped Badges
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2016, 04:14:57 PM »

Why not install the hood vents and have them painted with the hood?
Paint will crack where they meet, expansion and contraction are in play here....

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: