Mazda-speed.com
April 21, 2021, 05:54:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Me and my Aero  (Read 42648 times)
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2016, 01:10:37 AM »

Nice choice on the louvres. I don't know if it's been updated anywhere on their site, but I actually got my Singular vents, and they too now use rivets to hold in place. Curious to see how this comes out. Any tips for cutting the hood? I'll be installing my Singular NC ones on the MSM pretty soon.

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2016, 02:42:47 AM »

Rivets eh? Do they run them around the entire perimeter? The RunCools are @ 1~1.25" apart.
    My hood was destined for the body shop so my conditions were a little more forgiving. I don't know if Singular is providing a template for the NC 's on an NB hood or not but I do know that the underhood bracing  is going to be in the way because their construction protrudes below the plane of the hood. So as far as placement you may be on your own.
   As far as cutting goes, I started with a 1" hole saw at the corners and then used a 4 1/2" grinder with a thin SAIT disc to connect the holes. You have to be mindful of the heat build-up as it will make the aluminum buckle and too much may permanently buckle the hood. I just did the "a little here, a little there, switch to the other hole, repeat" method.

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2016, 07:51:28 AM »

I put my vents in with aluminum rivets.  They don't corrode, are easy to work with, easy to drill out if you need to change something and a hood vent doesn't need to have structural strength.

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2016, 04:25:06 PM »

My hood louvers came with BLACK aluminum rivets....super custom!

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2016, 02:15:25 PM »

Rivets eh? Do they run them around the entire perimeter? The RunCools are @ 1~1.25" apart.
    My hood was destined for the body shop so my conditions were a little more forgiving. I don't know if Singular is providing a template for the NC 's on an NB hood or not but I do know that the underhood bracing  is going to be in the way because their construction protrudes below the plane of the hood. So as far as placement you may be on your own.
   As far as cutting goes, I started with a 1" hole saw at the corners and then used a 4 1/2" grinder with a thin SAIT disc to connect the holes. You have to be mindful of the heat build-up as it will make the aluminum buckle and too much may permanently buckle the hood. I just did the "a little here, a little there, switch to the other hole, repeat" method.
I emailed with Ryan and he said to line up the cutout for the NC hump to the front of the NB hump and that would position them correctly. Yes, a bunch of bracing will have to get cut out, but the driver's side hole will be right over the turbo (not over the air intake for it) so that should help extract some heat from it as well.

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2016, 04:32:14 PM »

Right above the turbo? Did you move your turbo to the front of the engine somehow? I believe right above the stock turbo location is way too far back, higher pressure zone. Google miata hood pressures and you'll see that they should be way farther forward to take advantage of the low pressure areas to evacuate  air at speed. I think that's why the Singular NB hood vent trifecta works so well, I just am not fond of the look or the bracing removal...but to each his own.

04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2016, 05:29:06 PM »

Right above the turbo? Did you move your turbo to the front of the engine somehow? I believe right above the stock turbo location is way too far back, higher pressure zone. Google miata hood pressures and you'll see that they should be way farther forward to take advantage of the low pressure areas to evacuate  air at speed. I think that's why the Singular NB hood vent trifecta works so well, I just am not fond of the look or the bracing removal...but to each his own.
My EFR is top mounted and sits more forward than a Garrett style setup would. My coldside turbo inlet is basically as far forward as the front of the valve cover.

I'm a bit worried the NC louvres will be a bit tacky on the NB, but I just didn't care for the angular looking NB louvres. To each their own indeed. Loving the progress on your car so far!

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »

Those NC's are huge! I did some googling and did see some nice looking NC~NB installs on some track cars, as well as a turbo set-up similar to yours running the NB's.  It just boils down to what look you like and how much bracing you wanna hack out.

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2016, 01:57:23 AM »

Ready for assembly. Paint came out so-so, a few contaminants and mica count ain't quite the same, depending on where you look/in what light. Could be worse, gonna be covered with splattered bugs soon so I'll live with it. Learning a fair amount about the frustrating world of body/paint this off-season...the hard way of course.

Hood all polished and ready to be scratched

Shot of the cutout and the hood bracing

Close-up of the Swiss-Cheese-ing of the brace. Painstakingly laid out and drilled with a step bit. Not quite the same wide open area as the Singulars but it should be better than nothing, and the hood bracing remains pretty much intact structuraly

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:14:16 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2016, 01:23:18 PM »

Looks good. Eagerly awaiting the results.  When are you hitting the track next to test out all the new upgrades?

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2016, 02:52:30 PM »

Should be track ready in @ a week, then it's up to the weather. Like to get it out at least once before Feb 15th. Going under the knife to have a hernia fixed so that will kinda put a damper on things for a bit.

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2016, 07:52:45 AM »

Call me if you find a date with moderately dry weather.  I need to shake '90MSM down since I haven't had a truly successful day in over a year and don't want to chase shadows again this season.

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2016, 07:11:45 PM »

February 13th at Pacific is target date for shakedown, as long as it's not pouring down rain.
So hood is done and installed. Paint is a pretty good match in shop light, we'll have to wait to see what it looks like in the sun. All in, I figure the cost of this project is a little north of $1k, hood; $300, Louvers; $200, Paint; $400 and @ 10 hours labor on my end. Quite happy with how it turned out. One thing about these projects is the "wow factor " of the finished product gets diluted by the number of times stuff get's mocked-up,repositioned, installed, un-installed etc.... but it's not like we can just click somewhere and order "1 Black Mica vented hood, installed please".

Tickittyboo
Fourth Gear

« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2016, 07:24:16 PM »

Looks Great!

2004 Velocity Red MSM with Flyin' Miata's Big Enchilada tuned by Ken Hill, V-Maxx Extreme adjustable coilovers, FM front sway bar, 949 Racing End Links, Boss Frog Double Hoop Roll bar, Tr Motorsports c3m 15x9 wheels with 225 45 15 Hankook Rs3's and carbotech ax6 brake pads all around.
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2016, 04:27:28 AM »

Test results are in. Rainy, cold,wet day at the track. Wing works great and did not fall off or deform the trunk lid..at least up to 110mph. That's about as fast as I felt comfortable going today, given the track conditions.  Small issue with a gasket I made to go between the wing bracket and the wing I will have to address. Either/and/or vibration, moisture, or airflow caused it to work it's way loose.
 Splitter worked great and also is good to at least 110 mph. No signs of movement or deflection and no scraping on the track. There was however a whisper of a skiff boarding the ferry. Turns out the cardboard Go-Nogo test was performed with the 17x7 wheels which are a little taller than the 15x8's that are on the car now. I think a diagonal loading approach would have cleared fine, but a little too close for comfort....so i'll have to come up with a fix somehow.
 Vented hood performed nicely and netted me cooler under hood temps. i have two lcd temp displays under the hood and "popping the hood post session" temps were down a good 20 deg. No issues with the pouring rain getting in there either. They also make for a nice place to warm your hands with the hood down!
All in all, I'd call this Aero Endeavor a 97% success. A few little bugs to work out and hopefully some better weather next weekend for some more testing. It's been a fun, mentally challenging project. Someday I may actually run the hard #$$...maybe....gotta pay to play!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: