Mazda-speed.com
February 24, 2020, 11:18:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Me and my Aero  (Read 33310 times)
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »

You may have already figured this out with the hard plastic edging, but you can score it with a razor blade and it will then snap along the scoring.  A utility knife worked best since you do have to score it with a decent amount of pressure.  I found this method to be the cleanest and easiest.

It's debatable which requires more brain power....the ducting or the splitter.   Shocked

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 03:12:48 AM »

Real world R+D begins. Made some cardboard "how low can we go" templates. They slip over the lower snout and are designed to either deform of fall off when they encounter immovable objects. Gonna test them getting on the ferry on the way to the track tomorrow and will tether them to the car with dental floss to retrieve the data

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:04:21 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
HELLIONMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 01:37:14 PM »

How did it go?
How low are you BTW?

formerly hiddenmazda... Thanks to Gary, I'm not hidden anymore!
2005 MSM #1153 a.k.a Blackout
konig feathers Black 12.4lbs/205/50/15 kumho asx/custom 3" Enthuza XR/custom 2.5" - 3" enthuza midpipe/black razr grill from the grill guy/20% tint all around including windshield/sun visor delete/cool breeze scoop/"baby Teeth" delete/Dragon tattoos (from the 3 trips to MATG 13,14,and 15)/drilled and slotted rotors/PBR/Axxis Metal Master(XBG)/black decepticon tire valves/FMDP/Mako Shark Teeth/plastidip blacked out emblems, Joe's Maf reloc kit+MBC, fab9 COPs, eBay FMIC, carbonmiata silicon hoses, led foglights, aux in mod. FM stage2 fans, Koyo 37mm radiator. CHEVYSPEED-MSM/W LSX V8 (1 DAY)
CUSTOM NB CENTER CONSOLE PLATES
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,30085.msg339245/topicseen.html#msg339245
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »

Pinch welds are at 4 5/8"~3/4" Front, 5-ish" rear.  I have the fender lip #'s somewhere, but I go by pinch welds.
The templates did their job quite well. I pulled onto the ferry  "semi aggressively" to try for worst case scenario results. The 4'' out, 3 1/2" up template popped off right away and had to be retrieved by a ferry worker for analysis. The 3'' out, 4" up template remained on the car, slightly dis-located, and showed signs of contact at both lower points. So that tells me that I will need to go higher and shorter for clearance if I want to leave it on the car all the time. Consulting with millsj and perusing some of his photos reveals that the max splitter height is semi-determined by how high you can get it mounted at the rear by the oil pan and plane forward from there somewhat parallel to the ground. So it appears I may have to go with the "receiver" design, making the L+R spats/canards, and the L+R front main planes removable and stow-able in the vehicle for the jaunt to and from the track.
 I bought a $75 ebay GV Lip to see if there's some way to morph it into an air dam that would always remain on the car, and they are right when they say it won't fit the MSM. Our OEM "splitter" trim does not match the profile ( I was not surprised, btw), placing the GV lip too far forward to line up with the wheel wells and/or too far down with a huge gap across the center section. I have not thrown in the towel on it yet though. There may be some urethane foam,rubber modifications in its future. I may be dumping the whole MSM lip but I don't know yet. A few more cardboard template tests to make of some other designs/options and gotta clear some space in the shop before I dive into this project in depth after the season.

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
HELLIONMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 06:40:30 PM »

where do you live?

konig feathers Black 12.4lbs/205/50/15 kumho asx/custom 3" Enthuza XR/custom 2.5" - 3" enthuza midpipe/black razr grill from the grill guy/20% tint all around including windshield/sun visor delete/cool breeze scoop/"baby Teeth" delete/Dragon tattoos (from the 3 trips to MATG 13,14,and 15)/drilled and slotted rotors/PBR/Axxis Metal Master(XBG)/black decepticon tire valves/FMDP/Mako Shark Teeth/plastidip blacked out emblems, Joe's Maf reloc kit+MBC, fab9 COPs, eBay FMIC, carbonmiata silicon hoses, led foglights, aux in mod. FM stage2 fans, Koyo 37mm radiator. CHEVYSPEED-MSM/W LSX V8 (1 DAY)
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,30085.msg339245/topicseen.html#msg339245
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 07:36:49 PM »

Seattle, Wa.

HELLIONMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 09:27:42 PM »

I thought you were in California...

you should look over at miataturbo in the diy section. There is a sticky.

Lokiel
Fifth Gear

Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 12:03:49 AM »

:

:
I'm wondering if you could do something similar with styrofoam - if you angled the bottom leading edge corner, hopefully it would just shave down rather than snap off completely.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:05:07 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

Ti Aussie "SE" (cannot be called "MazdaSpeed" here, "speed/performance" badging encourages reckless driving apparently), DIY AutoTune MS3-Pro ECU, Borg-Warner EFR6258, NitroDann custom manifold+3"exhaust+CAI, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, GM D514A CNPs, 83.5mm coated CP pistons, K1 rods, Fab9 350HP intercooler,  ported Squaretop Intake Manifold, Skunk2 Throttle Body, ATi Super Damper, '95MSM SpeedHut Boost Gauge Mod, GREDDY Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat, Setrab Oil Cooler, BC Racing BR Series coilovers (8/6kg), 1.125" Racing Beat Tubular Sway Bar + Al Braces, 949racing SuperMiata end links, Carbing 3-pt shock tower brace, Nickel 6UL 15x8s, Toyo R1Rs 225/45/15, Wilwood Front BBK, SS Brake Lines, FM Frame Rails, Boss Frog "Frog Arms", MX5 Plus Twin Hoop Roll Bar, MiataRoadster long-angled SSK, Piano-Black Voodoo Knob&HandBrake, Innovate MTX-L Wideband O2 gauge+sensor, Lotus Probax seats + lots of "goes faster" chrome bling (since chrome reflects light, less of the colour spectrum is absorbed, making the car lighter - "pseudo-science" Smiley ).
Build Thread: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 03:53:02 AM »

I thought you were in California...

you should look over at miataturbo in the diy section. There is a sticky.
Believe me..I'm very familiar with that thread. If anyone has a few hours to kill and is thinking aero, that's a good place to start....or give up!

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 04:13:22 AM »

:

:
I'm wondering if you could do something similar with styrofoam - if you angled the bottom leading edge corner, hopefully it would just shave down rather than snap off completely.
Actually the cardboard worked quite well. I cut it so the "grain" could "acordian". I started with styrofoam but  cutting was not as easy and the first one snapped in half when I tried to slip it on the snout. For a brief, albeit insane moment, I toyed with the idea of making a veil of solder which would capture and hold the impact profile...crazy...I know.
 The fact that even the smaller version was impacted told me what I needed to know...not streetable. Had my engineer buddy down at the shop today and we hashed out some design criteria for the receiver mounting scenario. He's working on some initial drawings and I've just sold my old work truck, which was eating up valuable shop space, so now Ive got the room to start working on this thing.

HELLIONMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 01:50:17 PM »

why don't you use millsj idea? his is faptastic!

did you get your ez lip kit?

Also for reference I have this posted in that group buy interest thread.

http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,31406.0.html

picture for ideas here.

http://gladfab.myshopify.com/products/na-miata-front-splitter-kit-group-buy

I was thinking make the turn buckles attached to the baby teeth bolting area. make it go forward, ahead of the lip, instead of sideways.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:58:20 PM by HELLIONMX5 » Logged

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 02:28:09 PM »

millsj is my main inspiration for this project as his set-up is indeed fantastic. He has graciously supplied me with his R+D info and I will be picking his brain again I'm sure.
Joe has a trailer. I don't. I drive my car to and from the track. So unless I want to fab/incorporate a luggage rack into the  APR wing (and don't think for a minute that I didn't consider it ) to haul the splitter assembly to and from the track, I need to engineer another solution to make this hair-brained scheme work.
Yes, my free EzLip arrived and I will be installing it on the bottom of the garage door today...kidding. Pretty much the same profile as that deluxe rubber garage door seal but it's more foam-like. I'm sure it will make it on to the car  in some way, shape or form eventually.

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 02:58:27 PM »

My design works great on the track, but it wouldn't last long on the street. I do trailer the car and have 5' ramp extensions to get it on the trailer. I would scrape on any driveway or gas station entrance that has a rise. I have also scraped on the street at an intersection where the road I am crossing has a large crown. Basically, any place where the nose is pointing down hill and the the road goes back up, you will scrape.  Parking against curbs and such can also be bad. This is why the splitter comes off when I want to drive on the street.

I'm seeing a roof mounted splitter for JR.  Grin

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 03:02:46 AM »

And so it begins. Mocked this up today. Paying a little homage to the millsj design. Crude, yet effective, fullsize 3-D mockup, 3" out, 3 1/2" up. Solidworks drawings being generated to map/sort out the  "hidden, streetable" aluminum/Birch superstructure that will house the receivers and remain on the car.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:05:55 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 03:20:59 AM »

Here's the drawing showing the superstructure and receivers. ...work in progress. Gotta mock up the "arrow" section and see what's in the way of what.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: