Mazda-speed.com
January 17, 2022, 08:09:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Me and my Aero  (Read 51676 times)
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »

Looks like progress and high tech stuff.  afro

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 02:47:40 AM »

We use only the best cardboard and masking tape around here. Finished mocking up a scrap wood version of the superstructure today. I'll be using some baling wire to hold it in place for some testing at various local potholes, dips, driveways and curbs to test the streetability of the design so far.

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2015, 07:06:50 AM »

I mocked up the 4 removable elements in full size to check wether or not they will fit in the car. The 2 front main planes will fit behind the passenger seat if I slide it forward some, and the 2 outer elements fit nicely on the parcel shelf with room to spare. So that's good news. The receiver technology is proving itself a bit problematic. Lots of little pieces that have to be fitted, welded and aligned perfectly square with other little pieces, and all the hardware,pins etc, so were looking at a couple of different options to marry the pieces together.  A simple lap joint, t-nuts and allen button heads is the first option that's come to mind so I'll be testing that theory tomorrow.
Some pics of the 5 elements involved in this design;

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:06:43 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2015, 03:08:30 PM »

Looks promising, but as you say, it's all the details that get complicated very quickly.

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 04:30:55 AM »

Used some landscaping foam to take a mold off the LF corner to start working on the canard/spat fairing. I think the key to getting this stuff to set up in such a huge amount may be water; lay a little then mist it with water and then lay some more. Sprayed the bumper with coca-cola to get the painters plastic to stick to the car and eliminate some of the wrinkles.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:07:06 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

mprhead5
New Fiesta ST Owner
Fifth Gear

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 04:48:10 AM »

looking great!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=FZOCMIgpT3g
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=85pogIC1C4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdOD7edsJYQ
#64 of 4000 completed Friday January 30th  04
Mods: BNR Turbo EVO III 16G, full intake/exhaust, Hydra 2.5, BFG Rivals. FCM Coilovers, 3.63 gears, HDHC,  
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2015, 10:01:45 PM »

You are in luck.  The car is currently on jack stands being prepped for the track.   I don't think I modified the holes, but you are correct that the plastic undertray is sort of in the way.  I went the easy route here and just bent the undertray out of the way.  It appears that there is an attachment point for the undertray that I don't use anymore and I then just bent the undertray around the aluminum drop rod.  This is the driver's side.  The bottom of the picture is the front of the car.

It looks like the undertray used to attach with a nut to a stud at the 7:00 position of the drop rod.  You can also see the ducting in the lower right of the picture.  I think my ducting is more inside of yours. 

This is the same side, but a different angle.  the front of the car is toward the right.

This is the passenger side and you can see ducting in the lower left side of the picture.  It's hard to get a picture here, but it is basically the same as the driver's side.

In street driving mode, by drop rods only extend down about this far.

When I head to the track, I screw these short extension onto the drop rods.  The extensions go through the splitter and are secured with a nut and washer on both the top and bottom of the splitter.  The nut that is taped in place goes on top of the splitter.  It is taped so that I don't have to set the height every time I install the splitter.

Let me know if you want any other pics.

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2015, 01:38:04 AM »

Thanks Joe. Exactly the pics and info I needed. Looks like my outboard ducting may be an issue.

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2015, 04:13:44 AM »

Road testing the superstructure today. The mock-up is of the receiver design that has been placed on the back burner while I look at some other options. Still trying to retain the "arrow" shape of the superstructure at this point, which is set at 3 1/2" ground clearance for this test. More data..back to the drawing board.

This is worst case scenario. I would never try this even without the splitter as the nose is gonna hit anyway. The combined slope of the road and driveway here is 17 deg.

Trying the same driveway approaching at @ 15 deg angle. Still a no-go.

This is a fairly deep wallow that I would normally approach with caution anyway with the ride height this low. Room to spare, barely.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:07:52 PM by mr_hyde » Logged

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2015, 12:47:52 PM »

Or you could just carry a stack of 2"x4" boards in the trunk to help raise the nose when needed.   Grin

This is probably over complicating things and I'm not even sure if it would be possible, but could the superstructure be raised and lowered with a couple of turnbuckles or something similar.  I thought having the ability to raise and lower my splitter when I was designing it.  I spent some mental time thinking about how my support rods could be adjusted from the top side (just behind the headlights) to either raise or lower it.  My thought was that I could also have different height spacers in the very rear that could be swapped out for different heights.  The front turnbuckles are easily adjustable.  I eventually ditched the idea since I figured I wasn't going to adjust the height once it was set.

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »

Currently, the height limiting factors are the rear under tray  'scoops' and the chin spoiler under front nose.  The piece is just zip-tied to the car and it is as high as it will go without getting out the sawzall. Did you remove your chin spoiler?

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 02:41:08 PM »

This is the front end as it sits at the moment.  I'm missing a couple of fasteners in the pic, but all the parts are in place.  The lowest point for me is the bottom of the box covering the oil cooler (the silver thing on the left of the photo).  Our ride heights could also make a difference in the clearance between the undertray and the splitter.  I don't remember my ride height, but I think it is either 12.25 or 12.5 in the front with a .25" f/r rake. 

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2015, 03:59:31 PM »

Okay, I don't see your chin spoiler or the  associated panel. That helps.

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2015, 04:13:11 PM »

I think my chin spoiler went away when I installed the intercooler several years ago.  I did have the small plastic undertray piece that fits under the intercooler installed until the ducting.  It isn't necessary anymore.  This is the piece that we both shaped with a heat gun to make fit with the FMIC.  It would have fit between the undertray and bumper in the pic.

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2015, 12:07:53 AM »

Seeing as how this all ties in together, Wing, Splitter, and Hood venting, I'll combine all my misery  and triumphs into one thread;
   Prepping the donor lid for wing install. Got a bunch of Duplicolor Black Mica 16w and was going to buy their clear coat, but after reading some iffy reviews on amazon about gasoline taking it off, I emailed them and asked them about it. Apparently their automotive clear coat does not hold up against solvents. What?. Gonna have to get some of that 2K stuff instead, $22+/can. Waiting to hear from Automotive Touch Up about the composition of their clear, but if it's lacquer based like the Duplicolor it will probably suffer the same issues.
 Meanwhile, UPS indicates that my new wing from APR is in town so I may have it by tonight. We''ll see how well they can read engineered drawings. The other wing was so far off it's ridiculous.
My RunCool hood louvers showed up last week, nice looking piece. Gotta finish the wing/trunk project to clear room for the hood project. Will have to figure out the placement so it's behind the radiator but forward of the FM Airbox seal...kinda forgot about that but it should be okay.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: