Mazda-speed.com
February 29, 2020, 09:21:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shudder over bumps  (Read 11102 times)
powderific
Second Gear

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 02:06:41 AM »

That's a really good idea. Don't personally know anyone in the area with one but maybe I can find some other shop that's more familiar with them. If all else fails maybe I can find another nb on a car lot somewhere.
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 02:26:26 AM »

Where do you live?  There might be someone on the forum close by. 

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
powderific
Second Gear

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 02:38:48 AM »

Omaha, NE. It'd be great if I could find someone knowledgeable close by to take it for a spin with me.
powderific
Second Gear

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »

Posted over on the Miata.net regional forum too, hopefully there's someone around here who wouldn't mind helping out. In the meantime I ordered a set of coilovers since I'd like to lower the rear a bit anyway. Never thought I'd want to lower a car, but with the aftermarket wheels it really does have truck levels of wheel gap at the rear end.
powderific
Second Gear

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 03:31:23 PM »

Update!

After much cursing in my tiny garage I got a new set of coilovers installed. I haven't driven it much because it I know you're supposed to get it corner weighted and aligned. But then I also read that you should drive for a hundred miles or so to let the suspension settle. Sooo, am I gonna kill my tires if I drive it for a bit before getting it corner weighted and aligned? I'd like to dial in the ride height a little bit before bringing it in too as it's a little uneven right now.
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »

A few hundred miles with a so-so alignment isn't a problem.

Get the ride height close to what you want before any alignment and especially any corner weighting.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
BreezyRacer
First Gear

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 01:59:51 AM »

I would check to see if the springs have been cut or if there are aftermarket springs in there. If either of these conditions exist you might be riding around on the bump stops. Check your ride height. It's easy to do.

If that's not it check the tie rods but that would have likely been found during an alignment. Is the shutter coming thru the steering wheel or the entire chassis?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:01:29 AM by BreezyRacer » Logged

Long time autoxer, now with a pristene '04 Ti MSM with Lil Enchilada and misc other things including Xede piggyback ECU.
powderific
Second Gear

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 04:50:32 PM »

The ride height was as expected and everything with the springs looked normal. I just finished putting new coilovers in so I got a good look at everything underneath. One of the rear shocks looks like it may have been leaking but I need to give it a closer inspection since I didn't have much time as I was finishing up. Shudder is through the entire chassis—can feel the bump in the steering wheel but it doesn't seem to shudder.

The new coilovers settled more than I realized they would so I'll be cranking the ride height up again tonight and then do another test ride.
powderific
Second Gear

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 02:34:47 AM »

Well, I went to adjust the ride height and discovered that the front upper control arms had hit the threaded shock body's length adjustment nut thing on both sides. Not sure how or why that would happen but I won't be doing any more testing until that's sorted.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 09:45:17 AM »

What brand suspension??

Someone here had installed one of the less common brands and had that problem.  His solution turned out to return the suspension and buy another brand.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
powderific
Second Gear

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »

Yeah, I read that thread when I ran into the issue and it's exactly the same thing for me. Different brand though. Mine are the DSD coilovers from V8 Roadsters. Just got an email back from them with something to check. Apparently the lower shock body comes in two lengths and they think that the length I have doesn't work with the OEM control arm gussets? Not sure why they wouldn't have asked about which length on the store page if that's the issue. Maybe they just assume everyone who buys their coilovers also has their tubular control arms? I dunno.

Anyway, once I measure it they'll let me know if that's the issue. At least they're fast on email response!
powderific
Second Gear

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 08:15:44 PM »

Much like the other guy on here who had issues with less common coilovers, the folks at V8 roadsters can't figure out why mine would be impacting the upper control arms after messing around a bunch on their shop 03 NB (so far anyway).

Thinking I might drop the old suspension back in for now.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 08:22:18 PM »

Return them, get your money back and go down a path more traveled.  Get a FM suspension kit or maybe just Tokico or Koni shocks and a GC coilover kit.

Larry

Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
powderific
Second Gear

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 08:59:10 PM »

We'll see how that goes. Hopefully they figure something out or accept the return.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 09:04:21 PM »

I'm not as trusting as you are.  They don't fit right, take them back!

Larry

– Ernest Hemingway
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: