Mazda-speed.com
October 04, 2022, 07:06:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooning Around: Shifter all over the place  (Read 2380 times)
StackSilverson
Fourth Gear

I'm loving this car.

« on: August 28, 2015, 11:55:45 PM »

Hey guys,

I was driving home in the rain today and decided to hoon around a bit and spin some tires.  Stopped at a few lights, rev'ed up and dropped the clutch.  The wheels spin but the shifter was going all over the place.  Not just vibrating but like going loco.  What's up with that?

2014 Acura ILX Dynamic- 6 Speed, A Peppy DD
MSM #2452- Velocity Red Mica
Engine Mods- 700cc Deatschwerks Fuel Injectors, Hydra 2.7 ECU, FM Front Mount Intercooler, FM Intake, FM Throttle Body Inlet Pipe, FM Dowpipe, FM Midpipe and Exhaust, TurboSmart Boost Controller, TurboSmart BOV
Drivetrain Mods- FM Level 1 Clutch, FM Level 1 Flywheel, FM SS Clutch Line, Corksport 3.63 Ring and Pinion
Audio/Electronics Mods- GROM Audio Adaptor, Cobra SPX5500 Hardwired Radar Detector, USB Charging Adapter
Suspension/Wheel/Tire Mods- TEIN Street Advance Coilovers, Advanti Storm S2s, Dunlop Direzza DZ102s
Brakes - Porterfield Carbon Pads
Safety - Harddog Hardcore M2 Double Diagonal Rollbar
barmato
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:55:41 AM »

Were you getting wheel hop?  How does the shifter feel during normal driving?   Is there a lot of play in the shifter?
rotorglow
Toyotae non carborundum.
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 01:17:32 AM »

Sounds normal for stock diff bushings and engine mounts.

2004 VR Sport: FM Big Enchilada w/ Hydra 2.7 + DeatschWerks 700cc injectors + FM crossflow rad + 3.63 rear gears + ES poly diff bushings + comp motor mounts--Koni Sports + Ground Control 550/375 + Racing Beat 1.125" bar + blocks & bolts--Wilwood/AX6 brakes--15x8 6ULs + RE-71Rs--Speedhut + Clearwaters + Auxmod + other misc electrics
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »

Perhaps we should give the guy enough info to understand what is probably going on.

We have a brace (PPF) that ties the diff housing to the transmission, making them move more or less as one unit. The trans is, of course, rigidly attached to the engine, so the entire drivetrain is located by the diff mounts and engine mounts.

You most likely got into wheel hop, but without looking at your shifter while it moves around it is pretty hard to say if you had typical movement or if you should examine the diff and motor mounts. Of the two, I believe motor mounts are more likely to have failed.

There are stiffer versions of each available, but what you get in tighter control you pay for with more noise and harshness.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:32:21 PM by '95MSM » Logged

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
deliverator
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
Third Gear

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 06:09:22 PM »

Check the turret bolts on your shifter.

They come loose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: