Mazda-speed.com
July 04, 2020, 06:27:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cooling with the Hydra  (Read 4447 times)
StackSilverson
Fourth Gear

I'm loving this car.

« on: August 28, 2015, 02:48:53 AM »

Hey guys,

So the plan is to put in the hydra and 700cc injectors this weekend.  Needless to say I'm nervous.

Question though.  With all of the extra power that will come with the hydra, there's going to be more heat.  Will the stock radiator and fans be able to keep up with the extra heat from the hydra?  I plan to autocross and track the car in the future.  I plan to upgrade the radiator and fans as well but not for a bit.

Thanks guys!

2014 Acura ILX Dynamic- 6 Speed, A Peppy DD
MSM #2452- Velocity Red Mica
Engine Mods- 700cc Deatschwerks Fuel Injectors, Hydra 2.7 ECU, FM Front Mount Intercooler, FM Intake, FM Throttle Body Inlet Pipe, FM Dowpipe, FM Midpipe and Exhaust, TurboSmart Boost Controller, TurboSmart BOV
Drivetrain Mods- FM Level 1 Clutch, FM Level 1 Flywheel, FM SS Clutch Line, Corksport 3.63 Ring and Pinion
Audio/Electronics Mods- GROM Audio Adaptor, Cobra SPX5500 Hardwired Radar Detector, USB Charging Adapter
Suspension/Wheel/Tire Mods- TEIN Street Advance Coilovers, Advanti Storm S2s, Dunlop Direzza DZ102s
Brakes - Porterfield Carbon Pads
Safety - Harddog Hardcore M2 Double Diagonal Rollbar
rotorglow
Toyotae non carborundum.
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 03:14:49 AM »

Question though.  With all of the extra power that will come with the hydra, there's going to be more heat.  Will the stock radiator and fans be able to keep up with the extra heat from the hydra? 

In a warm climate, probably not.  I'd upgrade the rad and/or fans before you hit the track.

The crossflow rad isn't sexy like wheels or a new turbo, but it's one of my two or three favorite mods because it means I basically never worry about overheating on the street or autoxing.  For heavy track use I'd probably add fans or ducting, but short of that, its performance and peace of mind are worth every penny.

2004 VR Sport: FM Big Enchilada w/ Hydra 2.7 + DeatschWerks 700cc injectors + FM crossflow rad + 3.63 rear gears + ES poly diff bushings + comp motor mounts--Koni Sports + Ground Control 550/375 + Racing Beat 1.125" bar + blocks & bolts--Wilwood/AX6 brakes--15x8 6ULs + RE-71Rs--Speedhut + Clearwaters + Auxmod + other misc electrics
StackSilverson
Fourth Gear

I'm loving this car.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 03:38:09 AM »

What do you think about this radiator?  I would go with FMs but of course it's ridiculously expensive.

http://www.proimporttuners.com/parts/2004-mazda/miata-mx5-mishimoto-aluminum-racing-radiator.html?utm_source=googleproductsearch&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=product&gclid=CL2j1-jsyscCFQ2QHwodB7EFYg

2014 Acura ILX Dynamic- 6 Speed, A Peppy DD
MSM #2452- Velocity Red Mica
Engine Mods- 700cc Deatschwerks Fuel Injectors, Hydra 2.7 ECU, FM Front Mount Intercooler, FM Intake, FM Throttle Body Inlet Pipe, FM Dowpipe, FM Midpipe and Exhaust, TurboSmart Boost Controller, TurboSmart BOV
Drivetrain Mods- FM Level 1 Clutch, FM Level 1 Flywheel, FM SS Clutch Line, Corksport 3.63 Ring and Pinion
Audio/Electronics Mods- GROM Audio Adaptor, Cobra SPX5500 Hardwired Radar Detector, USB Charging Adapter
Suspension/Wheel/Tire Mods- TEIN Street Advance Coilovers, Advanti Storm S2s, Dunlop Direzza DZ102s
Brakes - Porterfield Carbon Pads
Safety - Harddog Hardcore M2 Double Diagonal Rollbar
rotorglow
Toyotae non carborundum.
Fifth Gear

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 04:36:29 AM »

Many discussions on here about how Mishimoto is  no better, and likely worse, than stock.

The track guys will chime in, but some of the thicker Koyo rads are a better bet.  But I'd say you should save up and get the good stuff to go with all the good stuff you're about to install.

2004 VR Sport: FM Big Enchilada w/ Hydra 2.7 + DeatschWerks 700cc injectors + FM crossflow rad + 3.63 rear gears + ES poly diff bushings + comp motor mounts--Koni Sports + Ground Control 550/375 + Racing Beat 1.125" bar + blocks & bolts--Wilwood/AX6 brakes--15x8 6ULs + RE-71Rs--Speedhut + Clearwaters + Auxmod + other misc electrics
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »

Never buy the Mishimoto stuff.  The best thing they have is their marketing!!

This is one place you don't want to cheap out.  I bought a Koyo unit before the FM unit existed.  It was no better than stock.  I added the FM fans and it made a difference but I truly miss having been able to get the FM Crossflow unit.  If my MSM was still seeing track use I'd be adding the FM radiator.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »

How much track experience do you have?  If you are just starting out, you will probably be ok with the OEM radiator for a little while.  The more you start pushing the car, the more issues you will run into.  If you are in Florida, the air temps will not be on your side.  My car is driven in anger on the track by both my wife and me, so it sees a lot of track miles.  The car is pushed very hard and I have an FM intake, DP, exhaust along with the crossflow radiator, stage II fans and oil cooler.  I still occasionally run into over heating issues in June at our home track in Savannah, GA.  I've just ducted the radiator, so hopefully I will have finally overcome the overheating issues.

If you do notice the car running hot, you can turn the heat on full blast and it will cool things down....except you will have a heat stroke.   Smiley

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »

BTW, if you still have the original OEM radiator your probably on borrowed time anyway so it might be smart to suck it up and get all new stuff before you have a failure.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
thomsoad
Fifth Gear

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 03:23:46 AM »

Question though.  With all of the extra power that will come with the hydra, there's going to be more heat.  Will the stock radiator and fans be able to keep up with the extra heat from the hydra?  I plan to autocross and track the car in the future.  I plan to upgrade the radiator and fans as well but not for a bit.
Thanks guys!

Having the Hydra for a few years in the Phoenix summer I can tell you that for commuting/canyon carving our rad is just fine.
So I would have no problems telling you that you can stay stock until your first track event.

Previous MSM: 2004 TI; FM LE; Falken FK452s

Current MSM: GT Mica;
SUSPENSION/TRANSMISSION: 215/45/17 Pilot Super Sports; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; FM Happy Meal Level 1 System; GarageStar door bushings; MR short shifter
ENGINE: FM Wiseco Pistons; Carrillo A rods; ARP studs; ATI Super Damper; Mazdaspeed competition motor mounts; oversized intake valves, oversized Inconel exhaust valves, ACL Race bearings , FM valve springs; 700CC Deatschwerks injectors:  NGK plugs; Magnecor 8.5s .
PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: Upgraded Blouche turbo, FM Intake, FM full Exhaust, FM Intercooler
ECU: Hydra 2.7
MISCELLANEOUS:  Autometer Boost Gauge; Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control, Motorcraft transmission fluid, Mobil 1 differential fluid, Castrol Platinum Synthetic Motor oil.

DYNOPACK RESULTS:
WHP: 256 @ 6141 rpm
TORQUE (lb/ft): 267.0 @ 4105 rpm
BOOST (PSI): 15.46 @ 4120 rpm
                     14.00 @ 3750 rpm

My MSM: Street...with attitude. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: